Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What game are you playing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    You ever reach ascension?
    Several times!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

You are a better man than I

no offense

try any of the mods that update the HL2 graphics?

Still Oblivion
    Your search had no results.

Just a pic of fallout

EDIT: Hmm...not very large

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    try any of the mods that update the HL2 graphics?
    I've only tried Fakefactory's Cinematic Mod, but I don't necessarily concern myself with graphical updates.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    I'm thinking about getting this when it comes out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragile_(video_game)
    It sounds like a depressing premise, which is actually why I want to play it.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Dragon Age isn't anything like Oblivion is it?

Didn't like Oblivion.

I have this Xbox 360 and I am seriously considering putting it on eBay because the last time I switched it on was like half a year ago.
    Congratulations America

I didn't like Dragon Age at all. But to each his own I guess.

Timbuk, Dragon age is a top down rpg, Oblvion was a first person rpg, so that's different anyway. The interface works a little like Baldur's Gate.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Just what I wanted to hear.

Played Baldur's Gate and expansion packs loads.

Oblivion just didn't work for me.

Level scaling killed it for me.

I like the Elder Scrolls way of leveling though. If you fight, your fighting skills increase. If you sneak a lot, your sneaking skills increase. This is all done atomatically, and each gained level you got to raise some other stats. I likes that.

Too bad it was as balanced as a drunk donkey riding a unicycle.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I'm still playing World of Warcraft.

It's all I've played for the last 3 years, and I'm not even remotely bored of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Level scaling killed it for me.
    There was some Oblivion mod that Miang recommended to me once on that other place. It got rid of the scaling, and made the game a lot more fun for me. Mind you, I did spend a lot of the early game running like hell.

I like the Elder Scrolls way of leveling though. If you fight, your fighting skills increase. If you sneak a lot, your sneaking skills increase. This is all done atomatically, and each gained level you got to raise some other stats. I likes that.
    The skill system was cool, but I didn't like the leveling system. It meant you were screwing yourself if you didn't plan and optimize your skill gains. It'd be better if they changed it around a bit to remove any motivation to do that.

Level scaling, the higher the level the player becomes the more difficult the critters become. This means that there are no easy or scary areas in the game, since they are all accessible from the start. This wasn't the case in Morrowwind (which was a superior game).

So, lets say you just freshly started a game and go into a cave, you might find a rat to battle. But when you'd enter that same case when being level 20 there's be a Big Ogre or whatever the game had for big monsters.

Morrowind hand the Ashlands which you avoided like the plague at the start since it would mean certain death, and while gaining levels you'd slowly try to battle your way into them. In oblivion you'd walk in and see a rat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    There was some Oblivion mod that Miang recommended to me once on that other place. It got rid of the scaling, and made the game a lot more fun for me. Mind you, I did spend a lot of the early game running like hell.
    Yeah, I remember that mod. I wasn't going to install and start a third game though.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Gotcha.

How does Dragon Age fare for level scaling?

Trying to remember if there were no-go areas etc as you describe for Morrowind in Baldur's Gate but it was so long ago ...
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-03-2010 at 09:16 AM.

I don't know.

Wasn't BG more linear? Been too long for me as well.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I think Dragon Age does do level scaling, but it's a lot less intrusive than it was in Oblivion. That may owe to the more structured gameplay. I just never noticed or thought about it in DA, but it was obvious and annoying in Oblivion.

Eurgh, I hated Oblivion's level scaling.

Something is fundamentally wrong when you can complete the entire main quest chain at level 1.

Give me Morrowind, where you'd get your ass handed to you if you went to Red Mountain too early.

Level scaling in Dragon Age is partial in that each area has a roof and a floor. For example, in certain areas the creatures will be a minimum of level 10 (Orzammar is one example).

Also, some monster types have their own level limits, so no level 20 rats.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

CoD: MW2 online at the moment for me (with various friends). Private room with your pals is a bloody good laugh. However it's not the best online war shooter in my person opinion. That title would go to Vietcong. I loved how you could hide in the foliage for sniping, etc. I felt the maps were huge and invited more gun fights and tactics. In MW2 you can't sneak around or hide up (even with/without the perks), you stick out like a sore thumb and thats with a ghillie suit on. The maps aren't anywhere near as creative and they are smaller! I'm not that clued with with gaming technology anymore but you'd think a Xbox 360 for example could match if not better Vietcong on all levels.

Going back to current gaming titles i generally find it difficult to identify a game that could give me the buzz and willingness to buy/play. I'm sure many will disagree but i'm finding games at the moment to lack any real story, there simply isn't any depth to them. The only game that springs to mind that i'm quite interested in at this moment is Alan Wake. I enjoyed Velvet Assassin and Mirrors Edge when i got them some time ago on the 360. RB: Las Vegas 2 or whatever was ok but i ended up getting rather bored.

I also might give the new Splinter Cell a go but who knows.

I wish they'd bring out the next Shenmue but that won't happen and i wish they'd bring us the next Monkey Island (anything thats better than the 4th!).

By the way, anyone else looking forward to Red Dead Redemption?

Since I have pc, I'll be looking forward quite some time longer than the console people, but still ...

edit: The best thing about RDR is, no fucking cousin on your cellphone asking to go bowling!
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 02-03-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I don't know.

Wasn't BG more linear? Been too long for me as well.
    Baldur's Gate 1 was more free-roaming, or at least so it appeared, because you spent a lot of the game wandering around forests seeking adventure. It was quite fun, and atmospheric! The plot, of course, progressed very linearly, enjoyable and engaging as it was.

Baldur's Gate 2 is on a rail. There are two chapters, in the main game's, umm, six or seven, where you can roam freely and look for adventure, glory and mad loots. These adventures are fun, and feel epic. Killing dragons with wizards is good times. But it did grate me that the plot literally ferried you around for a large portion of the game. It got better in the expansion pack, because the expansion pack was just absurd. It was great times too, though, because literally going from a level one runt into this demi-god flailing retardedly powerful weaponry around, or being a wizard summoning meteors and stopping time, was a pretty fun experience.

Re: Gaining attributes and skills in RPGs

On one hand, I really really like the idea of your skills improving when you use them. The silliest counter-example was in Fallout 2, where you could acquire a new skill to an expert level in one level-progression. The unreality this introduces hurts immersion.

On the other hand, however. Skills increasing from use leads to grinding. And grinding is dumb, boring and not fun times! Grinding is already a somewhat staple part of these games, on occasion, because you do need to increase your levels somehow. But this adds a whole new layer to it, and is why those MMORPG thingies have never appealed to me.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Gotcha.

How does Dragon Age fare for level scaling?

Trying to remember if there were no-go areas etc as you describe for Morrowind in Baldur's Gate but it was so long ago ...
    Dragon Age does do level scaling, but it isn't particularly strict. If you go to a certain place when you're level eight, the encounters are going to be beatable, but they'll still be harder than if you go there at level 18. You fight a lot of the same creatures throughout the game, but the designers intended for you to feel more and more badass against them as you grow in power. By the end-game, when you're around level 20 or so, you've got a lot more mass-combats against level 10s whereas when you're level 10 you're more likely to face five or six monsters of levels 8-12.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    RB: Las Vegas 2 or whatever was ok but i ended up getting rather bored.
    It's not the best shooter out there, either, though I much prefer it to any COD. Like you said with COD, once you build up a good number of friends the game elevates to a whole other level. I have enough good friends--as far as friends on XBL go--on there that it's no problem to get a 14 player room going filled with mostly pals and other non-jackasses. Playing with friends, laughing, and messing around really increases the game's fun factor.

I caved and picked up the God of War Remastered collection on the way to work today. Should push me to finish the surround sound setup in the bedroom so i can play it this weekend