Page 42 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 2804

Thread: What game are you playing now?

"SOE announced that it has lost 12,700 customer credit card numbers as the result of an attack, and roughly 24.6 million accounts may have been breached."

Can it get any worse for Sony at this point?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The letter they sent seems to indicate that all the credit card info affects non-US customers only.

(Here's the letter if you're interested.)

May 2, 2011

Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer:

Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained and we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;
    2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
    3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When SOE™'s services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013

Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at (877) 382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
    Sony Online Entertainment LLC

THIS IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTIFICATION.

SOE Privacy Policy | SOE Terms of Service

www.soe.com

Sony Online Entertainment LLC
    8928 Terman Court - San Diego, CA 92121

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Can it get any worse for Sony at this point?
    They still have yet to be hit with, and required to payout for a major class action lawsuit in the US, EU, and Australia, in addition to any investigations that they want to carry out, so yeah it probably could get worse for them.
    . . .

Should have shorted it.... if I had any cash. Its value has fallen ... 7% ...

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    ^ I heard the PSN might not be back up until the end of May. Just play Portal 2 on the PS3 for now, OG; the controls are not as bad as I expected them to be and the game is just too good to not play. Plus, you can play splitscreen co-op on the console. My boyfriend and I played co-op this weekend after finishing single-player and it was so much fun.
    I've been playing co-op with Brandy. She picked up the puzzle concept a hell of a lot faster than I thought she would. She solved that nonchamber level after 5 way faster than I did But holy hell, she is having some serious trouble understanding how to use the inverted controls and dual thumbsticks to move around.

So far the co-op is amazing, we don't get very far each night, so we're just starting to find the ramblings on the walls, but its as funny as I was hoping for, which is good. Cause....
    The loading screens are glitchy and often, and there are only a hand full the game seems to rotate through. I hate a loading screen that freezes up while the level is loading The animations aren't smooth either. Like the high fiving and movements you unlock as you progress and stuff, deaths are especially bad.

Can't wait to see how it performs on the computer.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The loading screens are glitchy and often, and there are only a hand full the game seems to rotate through. I hate a loading screen that freezes up while the level is loading The animations aren't smooth either. Like the high fiving and movements you unlock as you progress and stuff, deaths are especially bad.
    I've played split-screen co-op on the PS3 with my gf's brother, and we haven't run into this. Any of it actually, as we only have loading screens when going to and from the hub, and the only loading screen is them jogging on that treadmill. No freezes either, and the only non-smoothness we've noticed in animations are the ones that involve both P-Body and Atlas, as the interaction radius is rather large.
    . . .

The treadmill freezes up a lot, but we get the same problem with the other blueprint loading screens. The animated ones that show the breakdown and dimensions of different objects, like Atlas. Maybe freezing is the wrong word. Its like the game is running at an extremely low, single digit, FPS.

I've noticed there are no transition animations for deaths. When you fall the camera angle changes (from 1st to 3rd) so that they wouldn't have to make an animation that connected an upright model with a model thats in pieces and short-circuiting. Its a cheap trick and disorientating to the eye. A lot of the animations that require two parties aren't smooth if you're to far away either. Example, if I go for a high-five and my partner is on the other side of the map, I get the high-five animation, then it jerks to a shoulder-shrug or disappointment animation, without remembering where the limbs last where for the high five.

The animations are a small complaint, I'm just so used to smooth transitions in the PC games I've been playing, but the loading screens are maddening. If you're not seeing those...I'm gonna have to see if there is something up with my console

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Angry Birds
    My daughter insisted I get this game and despite my reservations I purchased it and found myself hooked almost immediately, as simple as the game is, at times it feels very complicated.
    Such is Life...

Yeah, I got it today and I'm hooked.

The treadmill freezes up a lot, but we get the same problem with the other blueprint loading screens. The animated ones that show the breakdown and dimensions of different objects, like Atlas. Maybe freezing is the wrong word. Its like the game is running at an extremely low, single digit, FPS.

I've noticed there are no transition animations for deaths. When you fall the camera angle changes (from 1st to 3rd) so that they wouldn't have to make an animation that connected an upright model with a model thats in pieces and short-circuiting. Its a cheap trick and disorientating to the eye. A lot of the animations that require two parties aren't smooth if you're to far away either. Example, if I go for a high-five and my partner is on the other side of the map, I get the high-five animation, then it jerks to a shoulder-shrug or disappointment animation, without remembering where the limbs last where for the high five.

The animations are a small complaint, I'm just so used to smooth transitions in the PC games I've been playing, but the loading screens are maddening. If you're not seeing those...I'm gonna have to see if there is something up with my console
    If I remember later tomorrow night, I'll see if I can check these out and get back to you.
    . . .

I don't remember any issues with the loading screens, either, but we plan to play through co-op again, so I'll double check.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

We're on Hub 3 finally. Getting a little curious why Glados has us running around doing espionage type shit at this point. Brandy is finally getting the hang of the controls on flat ground, but becomes uselessly disoriented when she goes through a portal. PSN is still down, so I still haven't got Portal 2 on the PC yet, and since Portal 2 doesn't require an install on the PS3, I'm starting to wonder if Steam on the PS3 isn't going to be as robust and groundbreaking as I was hoping.

Finished portal 2, single player. It's a fun game!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Might have to get Portal and Portal 2.

See what all the fuss is about
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Amazon just dropped the price of Portal 2. Unless you find the orange box on sale somewhere, you could wait on Portal 1 till Steam does their summer or christmas sale, pick it up for a buck or 2.

Are they not still giving away Portal 1 with copies of Portal 2 on steam? That may have been just a preorder thing.

It was. Now its $55 for both.

The PSN is back up! effing finally!
    Now to see if its up enough for me to connect with my Steam account....

Looks like I just missed my window. I was able to update, but it went back down before I could update my password.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-16-2011 at 01:15 AM.

It was. Now its $55 for both.
    £32.99 so sounds about right.

D/L ing just the first now for £6.99. Don't wanna pay for the bundle if it turns out not to be my sorta thang, y'dig.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

It's ... interesting.

Has a real humour to it.

If you feel like buying the second one when you're done, try emailing Steam support and asking if you could get the bundle deal; Valve is famous for their awesome customer support.

Playstation has started announcing the free games users get to pick from in their welcome back package. US PS3 and PSP users get 2 from the following lists:

PS3:
    Dead Nation
    inFamous
    Little Big Planet
    Super Stardust
    HD Wipeout HD + Fury

-------------
    PSP:
    Little Big Planet
    ModNation Racers
    Pursuit Force
    Killzone Liberation.

I already have inFamous for the PS3 and ModNation Racers for the PSP, so those are out for me. I'm pretty set on getting Little Big Planet for the PS3, but I don't know about my second choice yet. Picking for the PSP is even harder, think I'll get Killzone but is Little Big Planet for the PSP worth it if I have it on the PS3?

Just finished it.

That's quite the most hilarious little game I've ever played.

Genius production.

Far too short though.

Portal 2 is a standalone game, so its a good bit longer. Portal was meant as filler for the Orange Box, a few memes and canon fodder for the Half-Life universe.

LA Noire.

It's fascinating, like an old school adventure game almost, with smatterings of action.
    Definitely NOT GTA 1940's, lot more brain than brawn.

Really refreshing and enjoyable.

Oh, I thought that looked entertaining in ads.

Perhaps I'll get it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

LA Noire in a nutshell:

I got Portal 2 on the PC finally. HOLY FUCKING LOAD SCREENS BATMAN! I can't wait till Valve moves past the current Source engine, the levels don't seem to be able to handle it anymore. I could understand the load screens cutting in while I'm walking down a staircase in HL2, but damn, that was like 7 fucking years ago. I'm not expecting or enjoying the same thing in Portal 2. Its different playing co-op on the PS3 cause the pace is so much slower, I don't feel how small the levels really are; but I'm zipping through the single player and I swear I'm seeing as many loading screens as I'm seeing portals At least on the PC the loading screens are mostly static so I'm not seeing the same glitchiness as I see on the PS3. Only managed to break the PC version once so far, and that was due to the Steam overlay, which ties with the 1 time I was able to break the PS3 copy (but the game recovered from that very well).

Otherwise the game is great Spilt-screen has more of an abuse feel to it, very very little storyline and its mainly just glados insulting you while you fight with your partner, the single player is a lot more dark and ominous.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-18-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Finished Portal 2 single player. Not totally expecting that ending, a little shallow, but it set up for a really good laugh after the credits. Not sure if the single player was worth the full price, don't know if I'll ever get to the non-spilt screen co-op
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-20-2011 at 04:59 PM.

For the US Wii owners:

Target is selling FlingSmash this week for $20. The game it self doesn't seem to be anything important, but it comes with a Wii Remote Plus. Target is currently selling those for $40 alone. Wii Remote Plus is your usual Wii Remote, but it has the Wii MotionPlus add-on built in. Those little add-ons retail for $20 currently.

So getting FlingSmash is great deal if you need/want a MotionPlus now, but I suspect prices will fall again around christmas as Nintendo starts clearing out stock before their Project Cafe hits shelves.

lolliyyy (or someone else with a 3DS):

I've got a $250 gift card to Best Buy, and thought I was going to blow it on a 3DS. I tried out their display system, and the touch controls were just awful. Kept having to retry actions over and over again and pray that it'd get detected. Is this common, or was the unit somehow defective?