Page 45 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2804

Thread: What game are you playing now?

From Dust

Released in the next couple of weeks.

Harks back to one of the classics from yonder early days of gaming; Populous, the first ever God Game. Loved that game.

Looks fun.

Never played a God Sim. Always wanted to
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Populous was one of the greatest games ever.

Been playing around with EA's origin service. It looks like a direct attempt at Steam, but its not as streamlined yet.

One positive is EA's way of using CD-Keys. For whatever reason I can activate some of my EA games from Steam inside of the Origin service, for free. It even catches that I already have the games installed via Steam and can launch them without issue.

Maybe Origin is based a little to closely off of Steam
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I've liked EA's download service for awhile, it's pretty much the same as it has ever been (and I've had it since Sims 2). They just changed the name.

They've even periodically had sales.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I remember when it was called EA Download Manager, and was utterly useless in its design. It came (unexplained) with a retail game I bought, but at the time didn't support retail discs
    They redesigned and relaunched under the Origin name now, even pull some games from Steam, and made more Origin only.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I've liked EA's download service for awhile, it's pretty much the same as it has ever been (and I've had it since Sims 2). They just changed the name.

They've even periodically had sales.
    I've seen it before. Biggest strike against it is the limited time frame for the download. No other download service I use limits the amount of time I have to download. There are purchases that I made 8 years ago that I can still download if I want. If EA is still doing that, I'll never use them.

They dropped that as far as I have read, but the service expires (account, cdkeys, download ability) if you fail to log at least once every 2 years.
    Its taking some flak right now because its being used to sell a limited number of Star Wars Old Republic pre-orders at $5 a pop. Limited quantites of a digital only product , yet when you pay, they authorize your card/account for the full price of the game.

and now I can't log into it because it wants to update, but hangs at 0%

There has never actually been the limited timeframe to download, even when they said there was. I was scared I was going to lose my Sims 2 EPs when my pc committed suicide a couple of years ago (I talked about it with you at the time, I think), but there were no problems downloading them again at all.

Meh, when I first got Steam I was disappointed because it wasn't nearly as smooth as EA's download manager. My biggest objection to it was that if I had an internet problem I would be unable to play my games. But I don't have those sorts of internet outages now that I'm no longer a Comcast customer.

The Humble Bundle thing is back - the Crayon Physics Deluxe seems like it will be fun, I'm indifferent to the others.

Anyway...

http://www.humblebundle.com/

VVVVVV...

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    The Humble Bundle thing is back - the Crayon Physics Deluxe seems like it will be fun, I'm indifferent to the others.

Anyway...

http://www.humblebundle.com/
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What?
    The Humble
    Indie Bundle #3

Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $50, but we're letting you set the price!

All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

We don't use DRM. When you buy these games, they are yours. Feel free to play them without an internet connection, back them up, and install them on all of your Macs and PCs freely. There is no time-limit on your downloads.

You can support charity. Choose exactly how your purchase is divided: Between the developers, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, or the Child's Play Charity. Also, if you like this deal, a tip to the Humble Bundle itself would be much appreciated!

How much is this bundle worth to people? Let's take a quick look.
    You couldn't click the link?

I did but I can't see where to find out about the games. Eg VVVVVV - if you click on the link it just sends you to a page to go straight back.

Never heard about any of them. If I'm going to buy a game I've never heard about I'd at least be able to read about any of them - where are the details?

I couldn't read about VVVVV either - but the websites for Crayon Physics and And Yet it Moves seem to work just fine (didn't try either of the others at all).

It's not like you have to pay much or anything, if you think you might be interested in one or more.

humble bundle page isn't built to advertise for the games. The load they handle is heavy enough. These are indie games after all, they don't exactly have an advertising budget. That being said these aren't exactly new, and most of them are extremely popular. VVVVVV itself has over 2 million google results.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    From Dust

Harks back to one of the classics from yonder early days of gaming; Populous, the first ever God Game. Loved that game.

Looks fun.
    The PC guys are going to have to wait another 4 weeks. Because Dust is part of the Xbox Summer Sale (one of the very few ways XBLA progammers make any real money), Microsoft gets a 4 week lead on it. If you're a 360 kiddie, congrats, it came out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    humble bundle page isn't built to advertise for the games. The load they handle is heavy enough. These are indie games after all, they don't exactly have an advertising budget. That being said these aren't exactly new, and most of them are extremely popular. VVVVVV itself has over 2 million google results.
    How much bandwidth or budget does it take to copy/paste a text description of what it is?

Oh well, not going to pay fees to pay for something in US dollars if I can't even read a description. Was tempted too.

humble bundle page isn't built to advertise for the games. The load they handle is heavy enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    How much bandwidth or budget does it take to copy/paste a text description of what it is?
    Moving on from the lack of understanding, if the threat of the unknown is that crippling to you, try this. A direct link to the Child's Play Charity page so you know exactly what you're getting.
    Maybe you're not the humblebundle target audience, but its mainly done as fan service and charity work. The number of penny transactions is insane.

Moving on from the lack of understanding, if the threat of the unknown is that crippling to you, try this. A direct link to the Child's Play Charity page so you know exactly what you're getting.
    Maybe you're not the humblebundle target audience, but its mainly done as fan service and charity work. The number of penny transactions is insane.
    I'd never heard of humblebundle. I'd have been happy to make a donation just as a donation :shrug:

However for me the fact is that I get charged if I pay for something in US dollars so normally I of course make charitable donations in sterling. Had I been truly interested (and just a small blurb might have been enough to spark that, I was curious) then I'd have been willing to overlook the international charges. Oh well.

Playing ...

Vienna, Helsinki, Berlin & Amsterdam - through from the twenties up to present day. Build transport networks.

It's very good - havin lots of fun.

I've been tempted to dig out my old copy of Railroad Tycoon 3, is it similar to that?

Oh, I thought that looked kind of interesting but didn't buy it, Bukaroo.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    From Dust

Looks fun.
    Gah. Ubisoft just confirmed that they'll return to that piece-of-crap overbearing DRM which requires you to be online at all time - or you don't get to play. Don't those morons learn anything?

For instance, with the Settlers 7, if your game crashes and you log back in too fast, you'll be barred from playing for several hours due to "account abuse".
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Gah. Ubisoft just confirmed that they'll return to that piece-of-crap overbearing DRM which requires you to be online at all time - or you don't get to play. Don't those morons learn anything?
    Seriously? Damnit. I wanted to buy that game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Seriously? Damnit. I wanted to buy that game too.
    Steam lists "Ubisoft Online Service" as 3rd party DRM.

Is there an "off-line" option?
    No. The added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you don’t need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.

It still isn't confirmed for From Dust. Driver San Francisco and From Dust are both coming from Ubisoft, but Driver is the only one thats currently advertising an online always connection. From Dust is said to include a level of the DRM that requires a connection at install/startup, but not a permenant connection like Driver or their previous screwups.

The cover box art indicates otherwise.

They just put back the release date till 17th Aug too.

Got the Xbox version last night.

I'm enjoying it...fascinating watching the landscape change, and the disasters are epic.
    Does seem like it'd be better with a mouse, but not to the point where it's a game breaker like some reviews have insinuated.