Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2804

Thread: What game are you playing now?

(in this context) Someone without a group of friends that they play through MMOs with. Someone who doesn't have the time or understanding to operate within a guild.

Its one of the rageface memes
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Ah, I'd be a Forever Alone then.

Time or Patience I'd say in my case, rather than understanding.

Dark Souls.... flippin amazing.

Sims 3 Pets is out today, it's much more fun than the last EP.

(I liked the last one, but this one is just F-U-N FUN.)
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Will start playing Heroes of Might and Magic 6 this weekend.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let me know how that is. I think I liked one of them, but it wasn't the last one I played.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Let me know how that is. I think I liked one of them, but it wasn't the last one I played.
    It will inevitably be buggy to start with. Heroes 5 was really good. 4 was ok, 3 was crap, and 2 was what made the series. 6 should be fairly close to 5.

Haven't played since 2 ... or 3 ... or 4. I don't know. I remember liking it, so probably not 3 going by your comment.

So, kind of curious too if I should check 6 out.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Yep curious about 6 too, but as a total virgin to the series.

Amirite in thinking it's primarily centred around turn-based combat on a kind of ... chessboard?

The oldie was. Guy on a horse walking around a map until it met some critters and transported you to a hexi-map (?) and the turns were based on initiative per creature rather than per side. I remember a wolf having the best initiative, so it always got to go first.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Haven't played since 2 ... or 3 ... or 4. I don't know. I remember liking it, so probably not 3 going by your comment.

So, kind of curious too if I should check 6 out.
    I liked 2, picked up 3 as a consequence and promptly lost interest in the series.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Arkham City is farking goooooood.

Sucks they pushed the PC date so far back. Competing with Skyrim? Who the fuck they trying to kid?

Looks like I won't be picking it up till it shows up on clearance next year.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Who knows, there could be a GOTY edition sometime down the line if you wait.

It's gonna be a contender, and a serious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yep curious about 6 too, but as a total virgin to the series.

Amirite in thinking it's primarily centred around turn-based combat on a kind of ... chessboard?
    There's a strategic and tactical component. In terms of strategy, you explore the map, conquer cities, gain control of mines, find artifacts, and decide what to build in the cities. The fights (against either neutral creatures or enemy players) are on a tactical grid. Both the strategy and tactical parts are turn-based. If you don't do well in either part of the game, you won't do well.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I liked 2, picked up 3 as a consequence and promptly lost interest in the series.
    You can find digital versions of 5 (including the two expansion packs) for peanuts now adays. The campaigns are really good.

Don't know how widespread the offer is, but Origin just gave me 60% off my order. Picked up Hot Pursuit and Alice for $20 combined. Some of the NFS games are as low as $4. Crysis 2 for $16, Dead Space 2 or DA2 for $8.

I loaded up Origin and it gave me a popup about the offer, coupon code was ORIGIN60.

So I got HOM&M 6 yesterday because I was just too damn curious.

Campaign is wank. (I hate those dialogue screens, I hate the restrictions like: "No Ziggy, we will address the upgrading of your towns in another part of this campaigny tutorial". So I went straight to Custom game, and so far it's not too shabby. I'm still into the finding stuff out about the game phase which I always enjoy even when playing bad games, so not sure how much that counts for anything. So far it looks like the creature roster is rather varied and the spells aren't that bad either.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Hmmm. Not yet convinced enough to buy it, but will keep reading the reviews as more opinions form, both here and abroad.

Went "meh" and bought Rage yesterday though, so what do I know. So far not bad acksherly. Stuff you shoot at dies in a nice, satisfying way. The physics of the cars you drive are shite though.

Heard lots of bad things about it. Looks great, plays like stoolwater.

And Zero Punctuation had a thing about it as well.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...tion/4824-Rage
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Speaking of HoMM6-alikes, I've discovered the old Age of Wonders series. It is awesome.

The first one is pure and simple and quaint; the sequel has better graphics yet retains the satisfying 'next turn' dynamic that makes games of this kind so playable. Its combination of magic and army-building smacks of Master of Magic, one of my all time favourites.

Highly recommended if you've never played them.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Hmmm. Not yet convinced enough to buy it, but will keep reading the reviews as more opinions form, both here and abroad.

Went "meh" and bought Rage yesterday though, so what do I know. So far not bad acksherly. Stuff you shoot at dies in a nice, satisfying way. The physics of the cars you drive are shite though.
    You're lucky you can actually play it. Installed it, played for a bit and noticed the infamous texture pop-in problem and thought to myself: "Wasn't the latest ATi-driver update supposed to fix this?"

Now I've still got the texture pop-in AND the game is unplayable due to 5 seconds long freezes every one(!) second. Honestly, whoever did the QA on the game should be taken out and shot - I'm not sure how they missed such a huge problem. It's only explainable by them not having any PCs with ATi cards at all. Yes, I know it's at least partly ATi's fault - but you would have thought this issue came up at some time before the game went gold...
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Ouch!

No such worries here. Did have to install the latest nVidia Beta driver, but the game runs fairly seamlessly.

World Golf Tour is a free online golf game played in a browser window but the crazy thing is this is the best golf game I've played. It costs nothing to play but if you wish to purchase items from the pro-shop you can earn credits by various different means (online surveys is one, spending real money another), but I've managed to play the game for a few days without needing to spend any money or do any surveys.

I shelled out $50 for a Tiger Woods golf game a few years ago and it was so crappy I chucked it in the "buyers remorse draw" and I have refused to buy a golf game since.

Must Not Play At Work!!!
    Such is Life...

So I got HOM&M 6 yesterday because I was just too damn curious.

Campaign is wank. (I hate those dialogue screens, I hate the restrictions like: "No Ziggy, we will address the upgrading of your towns in another part of this campaigny tutorial". So I went straight to Custom game, and so far it's not too shabby. I'm still into the finding stuff out about the game phase which I always enjoy even when playing bad games, so not sure how much that counts for anything. So far it looks like the creature roster is rather varied and the spells aren't that bad either.
    I think the point is to get people to appreciate the abilities of the lower-level units. If you let people build all the dwellings right away, people will just play with the most advanced units (which is not a good strategy). Oddly enough, despite holding your hand in some ways, the game doesn't really explain some major components of it (like the skill system and unit attributes). As someone who's played Heroes 5, it's not too much of a learning curve, but I think they need to add some additional tutorials for the newbies.

The gameplay differences from Heroes 5 are relatively minor, but all the other changes have been for the better. There are now weapons that level up and can be carried over to any scenario (not just the same campaign). There's a far larger variety of bonuses to choose from before each level. At level up, you're no longer forced to choose between 3 different skills; you can choose whatever you want (restricted by your level). There are fewer "gimmicky" special abilities for units, which adds to the realism. The campaign stories I've seen so far have been significantly better than the ones in the previous editions, and the cutscenes are no longer crap. I'm up to the first scenario of the second campaign (the first campaign is a glorified two-scenario tutorial), and the only real complaint I have thus far is that there's no way to speed up combat (short of simulating the fights).

I think it's my approach top the game. I want to find out for myself what's the best strategy and I want to blunder into making mistakes so I want everything available to me to make those decision. For instance, the first few game-weeks it looks as if money won't be an issue, but when creature rosters fill up, you find yourself without money pretty fast. I'm wondering whether this pushes towards a rush one of your opponents so you'll have two towns early on strategy. But I think that is the fun part of the game. Making those decisions. Trying out different things.

One thing I've learned already is that the AI players don't do diplomacy After playing CIV and Shogun I wasn't expecting the AI to beeline towards my town the moment he came into view and waltzing straight in.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Okay, you chaps talking about homm is making Timmy want to play. Might have to download tmw.

Heard lots of bad things about it. Looks great, plays like stoolwater.

And Zero Punctuation had a thing about it as well.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...tion/4824-Rage
    Heh. Love those reviews.

Rage really isn't at all bad. The storyline is shitty, and the missions are oddly put together, but it has exactly the right amount of ARRGHWHATTHEFUCKISTHATSHOOTITSHOOTITARGH that any mindless shoot-em up should have. The action is definitely good enough. And the setting, the dead city, the wasteland, are scarily convincing.

When I want a more fulfilling storyline, I go back to Witcher 2.

So if I want a good-looking mindless shooter, this would be a candidate. I'll keep that in mind. Might be a bargain-bin contender.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I've heard good things about Hard Reset, a PC shooter. Its a little short so full price is asking to much, but greenmangaming has it for half off right now, and it activates on Steam.

If any game can survive the level of hype this is getting, its an Elder Scrolls title.