Page 73 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2804

Thread: What game are you playing now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/26/te...rtune.html?hpw

This makes me happy. We won't have anything left to play if companies like this gain dominance.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Looks like SWTOR will be going free to play in Nov.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    You mean free to pay?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You mean free to pay?
    No. From what I've seen the storyline is going to made free to play. The pay model, both via subscription and the auction house will be restricted to those players.

I figure you were likely trying another one of your zingy 1 liners, but there is a difference between Free to Play and Free to Pay in the freemium market. SWTOR seems to be restricting free players from being able to pay to win without also getting a subscription.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

No surprise there.

A multitude of problems with the game, not the least of which was making it a WoW-clone with light-sabres.

Steam has finally joined the bandwagon, their new EULA includes the no class action lawsuits clause that everyone and their mother has been including.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    And a bad WoW-clone at that, regarding the actual game mechanics.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Endless Space. 4x tbs. Looks promising.

http://www.gamespot.com/endless-spac...eview-6386365/
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Endless Space. 4x tbs. Looks promising.

http://www.gamespot.com/endless-spac...eview-6386365/
    I thought it was pretty meh. Not bad, really, just not very good either. Combat is pretty boring, and there just didn't seem to be very much depth to the game.

Wow, you guys work fast.

From what I read I hoped for an Ascendancy type of game, which I loved. Sins of a Solar Empire fudged that one up after I got my hopes up as well. Hmm, there's a pattern emerging here
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Never played Ascendancy, so I can't compare.

I'm looking at the upcoming Legends of Pegasus, though. I feel a bit burned on Endless Space, so I'm waiting for a demo or a positive review here before trying it.

The descriptions for all new 4X games read exactly the same. How the Hell are you supposed to guess which games will be worthwhile? Games 'journalism' sucks, and user reviews from the 'net are all over the place as is to be expected.

I'm gonna be playing Master of Magic well into the 2020's, aren't I
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

On that same page:XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Please don't have them screw this up.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    On that same page:XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Please don't have them screw this up.
    Amen to that.

Seems to me like Zynga has poked the bear: http://www.scribd.com/doc/101954002/...omplaint-Final

Have Zynga ever come out with an original concept?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

nope, one of their employees is even quoted to have said "copy what they do and do it until you get their numbers."

http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-09-08/news/farmvillains/

Employee? It was the frickin' CEO!

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Employee? It was the frickin' CEO!
    So says (possibly disgruntled) ex-employees, take with a pinch of salt.

May have been said, but take anything ex-employees say with salt.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    So says (possibly disgruntled) ex-employees, take with a pinch of salt.

May have been said, but take anything ex-employees say with salt.
    Considering their line-up, it's perfectly believable. No grain of salt needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Considering their line-up, it's perfectly believable. No grain of salt needed.
    So some of them still work there? Evidence that they're not disgruntled?

Dwarf Fortress.

Fun game..now that there is a graphics pack to replace the ASCII, I'm only 90% lost.

Evidence that they're not disgruntled?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Just discovered today that any EA games (like Sims 3 and expansions etc) bought on disc, you can register your CD Key with Origin and then play without requiring the CD/download the game etc, just like Steam . Registered all my Sims 3 games today (we own every single proper expansion but not Stuff pack), just need to hunt down the box for Sims:Medieval (already registered its expansion too but can't find where I left the original last). Nice to have one less thing to worry about.

I like playing without needing to hunt down the right CD but like the security of actually having the disc. Apart from games specifically designed with registering with Steam in mind (eg modern Total War games make you) it doesn't seem possible to do this with Steam? IE I have Civ IV and Civ IV:Colonization which I saw were on the Steam Sale (with Civ V, a Steam-registered game) recently. It doesn't seem possible to register the retail IV versions to Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Just discovered today that any EA games (like Sims 3 and expansions etc) bought on disc, you can register your CD Key with Origin and then play without requiring the CD/download the game etc, just like Steam . Registered all my Sims 3 games today (we own every single proper expansion but not Stuff pack), just need to hunt down the box for Sims:Medieval (already registered its expansion too but can't find where I left the original last). Nice to have one less thing to worry about.

I like playing without needing to hunt down the right CD but like the security of actually having the disc. Apart from games specifically designed with registering with Steam in mind (eg modern Total War games make you) it doesn't seem possible to do this with Steam? IE I have Civ IV and Civ IV:Colonization which I saw were on the Steam Sale (with Civ V, a Steam-registered game) recently. It doesn't seem possible to register the retail IV versions to Steam?
    Finally found my Sims Medieval base game box and disc to reinstall, patch up to latest version, install Pirates expansion ... doesn't work! Task Manager shows it running in the background using ~18% steady CPU but nothing.

Google and it seems that this game is totally incompatible with Windows 8. Even using Compatibility Mode won't fix it. What makes it even more odd is that the base game originally if you never patch it is compatible with Windows 8, but the final patch EA released (needed for Pirates to be installed) kills it. A fix exists which is not exactly linked to from EA's forums but says 'search for "Sims Medieval Ultimate Fix"' ... Googling that comes up with a crack to remove the DRM. It seems the DRM update in the final patch is incompatible with Windows 8 and kills the game.

To be fair Windows 8 was never released at the time yet, but it was within about a year of the EP release and there's lots of posts now on EA's forum and people messaging EA but this games been totally abandoned by them so they won't fix it.

Ridiculous that despite owning the game the only way to get it to work is to crack the DRM. It shouldn't take that much effort for EA to release a patch to fix the issue.

EDIT: And it seems they're still selling the game in Origin despite the fact its broken.

I have registered some games on Steam that I ought somewhere else before (including one that was only possible later, got an email with a code), but I think it depends on the publisher. Try Games - activate a product on steam in the menu.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I've registered a handful of random old games with Steam and Origin. Works especially well with digital games bought in the early years of places like D2D and GMG. The CD key for my Burnout Paradise Island, that I bought from D2D, worked on Steam and Origin. A copy of Bad Company 2 I bought from steam registered as a Deluxe copy on Origin.
    There is also a website where you can input an ancient EA cd Key and with some luck it may give you an origin CD key. I need to find that site.

EDIT:

This was the site, but the design has changed, so I don't know if they still support it like they used to.
    https://activate.ea.com/applyentitlement.do

I'd feel a little wary handing CD Keys over to websites ...

Updated after I found the URL. Its an EA site, doesn't do much for trust, but its not like your CDKey is anymore likely to end up in a torrent.

-----

Blizzard has been hacked, time to change up those passwords
    "Blizzard announced today that its Battle.net service was compromised. The company is urging users to change their login information immediately. Blizzard is stressing that payment information was not compromised. 'The unauthorized access included email addresses associated with Battle.net accounts in all regions, outside of China. Additional information from accounts associated with the North American servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) was also accessed, including cryptographically scrambled versions of passwords (not actual passwords), the answer to a personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In Authenticators. It's important to note that at this time, Blizzard does not believe this information alone is enough to gain access to Battle.net accounts.'"