Thread: What game are you playing now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level scaling, the higher the level the player becomes the more difficult the critters become. This means that there are no easy or scary areas in the game, since they are all accessible from the start. This wasn't the case in Morrowwind (which was a superior game).

So, lets say you just freshly started a game and go into a cave, you might find a rat to battle. But when you'd enter that same case when being level 20 there's be a Big Ogre or whatever the game had for big monsters.

Morrowind hand the Ashlands which you avoided like the plague at the start since it would mean certain death, and while gaining levels you'd slowly try to battle your way into them. In oblivion you'd walk in and see a rat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    There was some Oblivion mod that Miang recommended to me once on that other place. It got rid of the scaling, and made the game a lot more fun for me. Mind you, I did spend a lot of the early game running like hell.
    Yeah, I remember that mod. I wasn't going to install and start a third game though.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Gotcha.

How does Dragon Age fare for level scaling?

Trying to remember if there were no-go areas etc as you describe for Morrowind in Baldur's Gate but it was so long ago ...
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-03-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Gotcha.

How does Dragon Age fare for level scaling?

Trying to remember if there were no-go areas etc as you describe for Morrowind in Baldur's Gate but it was so long ago ...
    Dragon Age does do level scaling, but it isn't particularly strict. If you go to a certain place when you're level eight, the encounters are going to be beatable, but they'll still be harder than if you go there at level 18. You fight a lot of the same creatures throughout the game, but the designers intended for you to feel more and more badass against them as you grow in power. By the end-game, when you're around level 20 or so, you've got a lot more mass-combats against level 10s whereas when you're level 10 you're more likely to face five or six monsters of levels 8-12.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Dragon Age does do level scaling, but it isn't particularly strict. If you go to a certain place when you're level eight, the encounters are going to be beatable, but they'll still be harder than if you go there at level 18. You fight a lot of the same creatures throughout the game, but the designers intended for you to feel more and more badass against them as you grow in power. By the end-game, when you're around level 20 or so, you've got a lot more mass-combats against level 10s whereas when you're level 10 you're more likely to face five or six monsters of levels 8-12.
    Aye.

Very reminiscent of Baldur's gate so far. Done the beginning stages of a warrior and as a mage.

Prefer the warrior, I like the hacking and slaying and the blood. And the armour. And shouting RAAAAA.

Zapping someone with lightning isn't nearly as satisfying as cutting their limbs off.

So far it gets a