Page 23 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: What game are you playing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    That's why you should use it as background noise. I listen to the Myst soundtrack as I'm doing homework precisely because it isn't distracting.
    I have a quite large collection of classical and chamber music for that.

Besides, I use the Food Network as background noise.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

The Victoria 2 soundtrack is all classical. So...more for your collection.

I'm pretty sure I'll pre-order it, even though I still haven't.

This is me making up my mind again. I do that so well.

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Well despite my reservations about Starcraft 2's story the end has me interested in what's going to happen next.

So well done Blizzard, you've suckered me into buying two more of your games.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Stopped by Game today and had a look at the Starcraft II box, the pics on the back etc.

Looks just like any other formulaic RTS. Is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Well yeah. If you've played Starcraft before then the new one doesn't have any major new surprises.

Although if you don't update your tactics for the new units and abilities other players will just steamroll right over you.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

I'm not sure if the question is if its similar to the original Starcraft, but even if you've not played Starcraft before then is it the same as the bazillion other standard RTS games

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'm not sure if the question is if its similar to the original Starcraft, but even if you've not played Starcraft before then is it the same as the bazillion other standard RTS games
    AH, well I can't really answer that question then. I haven't played a large variety of RTS games but the ones I have played have been different enough that I don't know what the 'standard' RTS game is.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    That's kinda selling it short. There's a reason Starcraft has been the benchmark by which all other RTS games have been compared for more than a decade.

Halo Reach forklifts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    That's kinda selling it short. There's a reason Starcraft has been the benchmark by which all other RTS games have been compared for more than a decade.
    I never played Starcraft when it was new

Of all Blizzard's games from that era I think Warcraft II pushed the boat out much further than Starcraft did.

This is a grave injustice towards Age of Empires...

I always loved Age of Empires. Starcraft might have sold better but more people seem to be more familiar with Age of Empires

I'll even stick my neck out for what Total Annihilation did for the RTS genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I'll even stick my neck out for what Total Annihilation did for the RTS genre.
    What'd it do? Nothing it did caught on. We had to wait a decade before any game that was like that came out again. Not trying to speak poorly of it - Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is the best RTS ever made and I'll murder anyone who says otherwise - TA just didn't have any real industry impact.

Didn't TA introduce 3D terrians? The unit variation was also a strong precursor to how Starcraft was divided up. Instead of the AoE idea of the units being relatively identical, the TA units were different all the way down to the most basic units in the Core and Arm, between lasers burst and automatic fire.

edit, from wiki:
    Total Annihilation, released by Cavedog Entertainment in 1997, introduced 3D units and terrain and focused on huge battles that emphasized macromanagement over micromanagement. It featured a streamlined interface that would influence many RTS games in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Didn't TA introduce 3D terrians? The unit variation was also a strong precursor to how Starcraft was divided up. Instead of the AoE idea of the units being relatively identical, the TA units were different all the way down to the most basic units in the Core and Arm, between lasers burst and automatic fire.
    TA and Starcraft were contemporaries, so you can't really say they influenced each other. Graphical improvements aren't a very good claim to fame either; and other games had already done 3D terrain mechanics if not the drawing.

The macro vs. micro is something it brought to the table, but as far as I can see, it never really caught on. Everyone preferred to go the Starcraft route right up until SupCom. Then SupCom decided to go the Starcraft route for its own sequel.

You can maybe say that they had they were the first ones who did queuing right - I don't remember anyone who did it right before them, and a lot of that stuff is standard in the genre now.

Yes: mass stupidity.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I loved TA.

Starcraft was ok, haven't looked at no 2 yet, maybe later.
    Such is Life...

Mass Effect still. Matriarch Benezia was hard until I realized I could move out of her view. I'm on the planet with the monkeys right now. Anyone know how to get the key for the Prothean artifact in corner of the map? It's the one with the floating mercury-ish sphere.
    Your search had no results.

Hang on ... you mean I was right(ish)?

That's funny.

Anyone know how to get the key for the Prothean artifact in corner of the map? It's the one with the floating mercury-ish sphere.
    It's the item the Consort gives you after you've talked to her.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    New Sonic Colors trailer zooms in, and it still looks rad.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum View Post
    It's the item the Consort gives you after you've talked to her.
    Ah, I didn't get that. Apparently you only get it if you complete a different mission before talking to her. I just finished Mass Effect last night (well, the main story at least). I spent 27 hours on it, but there was a lot I didn't do. I have Mass Effect 2 waiting for me now. I started it up and played the first few missions, but the change of controls keeps confusing me.
    Your search had no results.

^It's like that at first, but trust me, you'll get used to the new way and come to appreciate the changes they made.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

ME1 took 12 hours on the first playthrough; I completely didn't realize that going to Illos would take me all the way to the end. Didn't regret it much because the superiority of the 2nd one made me want to finish as fast as possible. Playing through it again, though, to import a renegade playthrough for my 4th ME2 go-around. Plan on having a change of heart and going all Paragonny while amassing all the allies I can. Just saved the Rachni queen despite my best renegade impulses...

Oh, also, don't think I ever got the chance to properly thank OG for advertising on the verge of spamming for Portal. Really, really enjoyed it and can't wait for the sequel!

I just finished Mass Effect last night (well, the main story at least). I spent 27 hours on it, but there was a lot I didn't do.
    Yup, I missed tons of optional missions too. ME1 requires you to walk around everywhere all the time to find every mission. ME2 has less of that, you'll find side missions pretty easily.

I have Mass Effect 2 waiting for me now. I started it up and played the first few missions, but the change of controls keeps confusing me.
    I remapped all the controls back to the ME1 layout because of that. Of course doing that renders all the help tips useless.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

I've had a fit of nostalgia recently. I've been enjoying X-com and Syndicate. Next I need to track down Master of Magic.

Old-school games have a particular quality: the graphics catered for the gameplay. X-com, for example, almost has an interactive fiction feel to it. The background images for screens on your base management screen, for example - a solitary, moustachioed engineer in his baby-blue uniform assembles a comic-book alien contraption. It takes itself so seriously! I love these games.

The new Black Ops looks horribly unbalanced...