Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What game are you playing now?

Default What game are you playing now?

Since Christmas I've been hooked on the new Blood Bowl (PC) game by Cyanide Studios - whom I'd never heard of before except to hear that Games Workshop had sued them successfully over a previous game they'd released which was a bit of a copycat of Blood Bowl.

This was always my favourite Tabletop game and the Turn-based mode is a reasonaly faithful adoption of it. I'm a bit amused that its big thing was that it introduced a new "realtime" way to play the game, but almost everyone online plays the traditional turn-based mode. Wonder how many of them are saddos like me that were hooked on the game years ago. Its 17 years since I bought the tabletop version of the game

Sad thing is though my girlfriend saved up massively to buy me a super-awesome present - a PS3 with accessories and games etc - with this being a side minor present because I'd dropped massive hints about it. Since Christmas besides to watch Blurays I've barely played the console, feel rather bad about it.

Played Blood Bowl when it was first released a while back. It was fun for a bit, but I never got really hooked into it. One of the things that sticks out to me was that the commentator's comments get worn out very quickly. The real time version was way too easy, so turn-based was the only way to go.

I played through Mass Effect again last week. The new one was coming out, and I wanted to make the switch from console to the PC and import a save, and didn't want to use somebody else's. The game is still fairly good. Finished that and started ME2 on Sunday, and that game is very good. I was skeptical about the "improvements" they've made, but it all seemed to have worked out. The game is a lot of fun, better than the first, and the writers seem to have improved a lot over the previous iteration.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    We should organize a CC league, and find out what online games everyone has.

I'm currently playing:
    Secret Of Mana
    Wii Sports Resort
    Trackmania Nations Forever
    New Super Mario Brothers Wii

I'm a big gamer.

I'll be getting my files back soon, so I should also be doing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 again in a couple weeks.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Hey, Marioboy - is the New Super Mario Brothers Wii fun? Santa was going to bring it, but sadly all the stores were always sold out of it when Santa was trying to stock her sleigh.

Might buy it as a happy Wednesday gift or something.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

The mario game is great. Its old school enough that when Brandy and I play she knows what to do, but new enough to keep me interested; but I'll admit, the multiplayer, even in story mode, soon turns to "lets see how many different ways we can fuck each other over".

Brent and I play Army of Two when we can.
    I'm playing Madworld, GuildWars (paranoid the servers will close soon after Guildwars 2), and Dirt 2 (that game is insane!). I purchased Mass Effect from Steam when it went dirt cheap, but haven't run it yet. I don't think I've run 90% of the holiday games I bought
    Brent is playing Saints Row 2, Lego Batman, and Battle for Middle Earth (its old).

Best Buy has some good PS3 Greatest hits on sale, 2 for $50. Expect to pick up Resistance (the paperback was awesome), and Uncharted. Might pick up the God of War collection if I can swing it, since I just spent that money on the Halo 3 deal.

I still need to pick up Dragon's Age (that game is never truely on sale )

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Hey, Marioboy - is the New Super Mario Brothers Wii fun? Santa was going to bring it, but sadly all the stores were always sold out of it when Santa was trying to stock her sleigh.

Might buy it as a happy Wednesday gift or something.
    It's really, really good. It's pretty fun alone or with others. The difficulty level is high, but there's a in game guide that can help you through the levels if you're having a tough time, so there's no real barrier to entry.
    I enjoy blank walls.

The game also has videos you can purchase/earn with in game credits, so that when you think you kicked ass on a level, the game can pimp slap you back into place.

I have no console, and so limit myself to PC titles. And I don't have all that large an entertainment budget, so a lot of games tend to fall to the wayside. Like Mass Effect 2. I mostly play World of Warcraft, though the last month has actually mostly seen me wandering around Thedas, i.e. playing Dragon Age. Bioware does such solid RPGs. if I lived in Denver, where my gamer friends are, rather than being stuck in California, I'd probably also be playing a lot of Smash Brothers on someone's Wii.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

DDO and Dragon Age take up my PC gaming time.

Playing UFO Extraterrestrials mainly for the fond memories of the first X-Coms.

Hearts of Iron 2, thinking about starting a Japan campaign since the one I'm on now with Germany is running a little stale. Only fighting I'm doing is mass Chinese armies vs Russians and I long outteched everyone.

I got World Championship Snooker as a belated Christmas present, which actually is the first pool/snooker simulator which isn't half bad, save for the interface.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

At a bit of a loss at the mo', game-wise.

Given up on WoW. Despite repeated attempts to get back into it, I just ... can't summon the enthusiasm for it anymore. It's unlikely I'll get the new expansion.

Sooo ... been sporadically dipping into various old games and dusting off forgotten titles from the shelves ...

Took a trip down Civ IV lane, veered left up TW: Medieval II street, skipped quickly through Sins of a Solar Empire to build a few rusty coasters in RCT3, picked up Cities XL and A-Train 8 from the market on X3: Terran Conflict avenue and ended up on Solitaire road.

Am I getting to old to enjoy games?

Sigh ...

I know what you mean. There was a time when I could be arsed to finish a game which really doesn't happen anymore.

Well, in case of HoI2 Armageddon, that figures since it goes on practically forever.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    Secret Of Mana

Good ol' RPG classics. I'm going through another run of Final Fantasy 3/6 myself.

This week I have mostly been contributing to the place that shall not be named. Apparently this constitutes playing games. I have also started playing Fallout 3. I am still surprised that my low level character, tweaked for charisma and intelligence, is quite capable of punching a man's head clean off.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

I know there is this skill that results in every kill being an explosion of meat, which become quite ridiculous, quite fast. Also does x% more damage, but I still wish I hadn't picked that.

Excellent atmosphere though.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Yes. I don't have that perk.

I'm enjoying the game, but my nostalgia for the first two games, and the genre in general, fading the more I play it. It keeps reminding me of all the things about RPGs that grate on the nerves.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Hmmm ... just been reading a review on Gamespot.

Looks ok, given that I'm not a huge RPG fan.

Would you fellas recommend it? Might be just what I need in these times of personal gaming apathy ...

I was just playing the Pitt actually

EDIT: Yes, it's one of the best rpgs are I have ever played, second only to Oblivion. That first pic is from an expansion though

Oh yes, fallout 3 is gooood.

Only games other than that ive played in the last few years are TW: med 2 and football manager.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    At a bit of a loss at the mo', game-wise.

Given up on WoW. Despite repeated attempts to get back into it, I just ... can't summon the enthusiasm for it anymore. It's unlikely I'll get the new expansion.

Sooo ... been sporadically dipping into various old games and dusting off forgotten titles from the shelves ...

Took a trip down Civ IV lane, veered left up TW: Medieval II street, skipped quickly through Sins of a Solar Empire to build a few rusty coasters in RCT3, picked up Cities XL and A-Train 8 from the market on X3: Terran Conflict avenue and ended up on Solitaire road.

Am I getting to old to enjoy games?

Sigh ...
    I am actually planning on getting Civ4 installed on the new comp at some point. It's been sitting on the tower for a while, I just haven't taken the time yet. Dragon Age insists on a near-exclusive relationship at present.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    I'm playing the everloving fuck out of Borderlands, seriously that game is like crack for me at the moment.

Also on my list: I need to finish Overlord II and Prototype.

Sitting uninstalled in my games list are Mass Effect, Devil May Cry 4 and Mirrors Edge.

Oh and I have Saboteur for the 360 still unopened.

Damn it Borderlands, stop consuming my time!
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Solium Inferum, Dragon Age and, on Friday, Call of Pripyat.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 02-03-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I am actually planning on getting Civ4 installed on the new comp at some point. It's been sitting on the tower for a while, I just haven't taken the time yet.
    Civ IV is still a hugely addictive game

Dragon Age insists on a near-exclusive relationship at present.
    Just hopped back over to Gamespot to check out the review. They liked it. Really, liked it:

When was the last time you felt totally lost in a fantasy gameworld? When was the last time you played a game with such a well-crafted and enjoyable story that you knew you’d remember it for a long, long time? Dragon Age: Origins is that kind of game, so rich and involving that you are powerless to resist its wiles and whims, so touching and triumphant that your mind and heart will be moved. In the fictional land of Ferelden, you meet memorable characters and fight for a cause you believe in, and it's this backdrop that makes developer BioWare's newest role-playing game so extraordinary. Dragon Age is more than a well-crafted story, however: It's a lengthy, intricate, and thoroughly entertaining adventure that's easy to fall in love with.

Looks pretty cool. Rated 18 too, so no kiddy dumbing down ...

EDIT: Amazon have it up for £15. DING! sale.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (always and forever), just finished Batman: AA for the 2nd time. Don't play anything on the pc anymore. Am looking into getting ME2, though I never played the 1st.

Be warned, if you intend to pick it up Dragon Age can be bastard hard for an rpg noob.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Combat-wise or figuring out quests-wise ?

I am certainly no RPG veteran ...

Very much combat wise. The released a patch to tone it down.

Once you get it, though, it suddenly becomes quite easy.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Pripyat.
    Fifty thousand people used to live here...now its a ghost town...
    . . .

Nethack.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.