Thread: Not that Republicans are any better on the issue but...

Default Not that Republicans are any better on the issue but...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...op-obstruction

"As progressives push hard for Democrats to eliminate the legislative filibuster after gaining control of the Senate, House and the presidency, many Democratic senators are distancing themselves from a letter they signed in 2017 backing the procedure.

Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Chris Coons, D-Del., led a letter in 2017 that asked Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., to preserve the legislative filibuster. As it's existed for decades, the filibuster requires 60 votes in order to end debate on a bill and proceed to a final vote.

"We are writing to urge you to support our efforts to preserve existing rules, practices, and traditions" on the filibuster, the letter said.

Besides Collins and Coons, 59 other senators joined on the letter. Of that group, 27 Democratic signatories still hold federal elected office. Twenty-six still hold their Senate seats, and Vice President Harris assumed her new job on Jan. 20, vacating her former California Senate seat. "

If you truly care about ending the filibuster I only want to hear from you when your political opponents have the clear majority.

I don't want to see it eliminated. I have to say though that I don't like the current implementation which apparently doesn't require them to actually filibuster but merely requires a single person to register that they'd "filibuster" and it counts as blocked unless it can pass a cloture vote. I'd be perfectly willing to see the move to weaken it that returns it to its older incarnation.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"