Thread: More German Anti-Tech Lunacy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Advertising isn't a static industry. Targeted ads are a development in advertising, and, increasingly, good targeting requires cookies.

Increasingly, advertisers do what's called "buying audiences". Which means they want to follow anonymized groups of users who index for certain types of behavior or browse certain collections of sites. The benefit is potentially more relevant ads, but among the major industry players it still relies on traditional cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    good targeting requires cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Thats more about the sense of websites refusing to evolve past a known profit model.
    people used to think that good crops required blood sacrifices too.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    people used to think that good crops required blood sacrifices too.
    Does that profit model not actually generate profit the way they think it does, as was more or less the case with the crops and the sacrificed vestal virgins? Good targeting, the way they're doing it, requires cookies. Is that somewhat circular? You bet. Of course, they don't have to invest another dime in that circle, whereas they would have to spend more money to change how they get money from advertising.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"