Thread: 16gb TouchPad for 99$--would you buy it?

Default 16gb TouchPad for 99$--would you buy it?

Well? Would you?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

No, because I'm not an American and am not in the market for a TouchPad.

Only if you know right now exactly what you need it for. HP killed its touchpad line, is getting out of the PC business and WebOS might as well be dead.

On a side note, I haven't yet found a reason to make regular use of the iPad 2 I have.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Reading, surfing, watching movies, playing music, the usual. Great screen, good audio, cheap, and with a small hope of future appreciation through tinkering. Trying to figure out how to get one so cheap

Music I have an iPhone and iPod and Stereo system. Movies I have a TV. Reading I have books and could use iPhone if I wanted to read electronically.

Not too bothered about an iPad either.

sometimes it sucks to live in Europe

B&N and some other places have the TouchPad for $100 but of course they require a US billing address and have a strong tendency to cancel orders where billing and shipping addresses don't match as well as orders shipped to known freight-forwarders meanwhile the UK and DE stores remain seemingly unaware of the fire sale they should be joining in on

I'm actually pondering this decision, if it helps... definitely a dead line with questionable future value... but it's a pretty decent tablet for $99... hmm. Guess the question is whether or not you'd get 99 bucks worth of use out of it in the near term.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Hp is now offering refunds to its early adopters.

Also hearing rumors of groups trying to port Android and Ubuntu over to it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Android will prolly be ported to it, and until then WebOS is more than enough for most of my purposes, esp. since the touchpad seems to be just fine once you unbork it. HP hasn't abandoned WebOS, just the hardware, and with a million touchpads in the hands of customers there should be enough developers around. At a hundred bucks, with that performance, the pros of WebOS and that screen, well...

Anyway, I think I shall have to give up on this. Engadget killed HP Germany and possibly also the rest of the European HP stores, which is kinda funny 'cause 1. the HP stores require a domestic billing address and get touchy when billing and shipping addresses don't match 2. HP is going to convince future clients that they're pros at this web thing

But I am a sad minxie

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Well? Would you?
    As I have no need of one, no matter what the price, and don't particularly see why I'd want one with no need of it, no.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I think I might consider it, yeah it's a dead line etc etc etc. But it's working right now, and the way I see it the average lifespan of a tablet won't extend very much over a year or two. (I think they are more like smartphones than like computers). So $99 for a model that is up to standard today is a good deal. (though I will admit to not even having looked at the specs).

Put that different; if somebody I knew would be in the US right now I'd ask him to pick one up for me.
    Congratulations America

If that someone were God he might actually succeed, too

Still waiting for Amazon to tell me if they'll dispatch my order or not. It's crazy, musta sold a couple of hundred thousand touchpads in the past few days at the discounted price, no idea how many accessories at full price. Suddenly WebOS is a familiar name to many more people. Companies make the strangest decisions in the hunt for profit

Or the attempt to mitigate loss, yeah.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

It's a sad day. A bunch of people score like 5-10 and my order for a single touchpad gets cancelled :'(