Thread: wot's ur fav Linux and why?

Default wot's ur fav Linux and why?

I know some of you geeks use some Linux distro or other as your primary OS.

Which distro do you personally prefer, and why? What are their limitations? What are their major advantages over eg. Windows and OSX? Any exceptionally innovative features?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I bet you wikipedia will have solid articles on this topic.

Wikipedia has solid articles analysing Khen's Linux preferences and comparing them to Cain's?

Well, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a much better source for strengths and weaknesses of Linux distros on wikipedia or linuxquestions.org, or tomshardware.com or whatever.

My distro of choice is Gentoo, because it's the most configurable/customizable, and you get to compile it from source code on whatever machine you install on, so it's potentially the fastest and most efficient too. Of course, unless you're really comfortable on a command line scripting, and you actually enjoy hacking around on your OS to see what you can get it to do, probably not a good choice.

Oh, and Slackware, because it just works. Get it set up, and you can forget about whatever machine you installed it on until the hardware dies. Not what I'd pick as a desktop OS, though... it's more of a distro for boxes that need to just run 24/7 for years without any interruptions or changes, like my file server box. It just sits in the basement, next to the water heater, waiting to stream videos or transfer files around my home, and that's it.

As far as dektops go, I dunno what's wrong with Windows 7 or OSX, except the price. You could always try out Ubuntu to see if you can get a handle on Linux, and if that works out, go to the effort of finding a flavor that fits you a better, or allows you to put more of a personal touch on it, etc.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I've found myself comfortable with using GNOME 3 on Ubuntu. To be perfectly honest, if I had more of a choice, I'd switch to Win7 or Win8. But it feels good to be comfortable in this environment at long last shame the evernote client isn't as good, even in Wine. But good that, no matter what I bork, I can always unbork it somehow.

Linux will never quite click with me. I've tried so many times to embrace it, but I just can't. Either there is an issue with wireless, programs not being the same and it generally being less satisfactory than Windows 7.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

The thing that irritates me most is that I've never had a linux machine that I've been able to suspend or hibernate.