Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm no longer a Republican

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    If you are talking about my post...
    I wasn't. I was commenting to Ogre.

Hold on guys! As a woman, I will say I think abortion should be a last resort...as in, Mom is gonna die, baby is gonna die, etc thing. BUT, why the fuck should a bunch of OLD men tell me what I can and can't do to my body and pregnancy? Sorry guys, been there, done that, don't regret me being alive 31 years later. It is a damned hard decision, one of the hardest any person can make, IMO, but when the choice is, try to carry to term and die or terminate and live past 15, well fuck...one does what one needs to do! (EDIT: Yes I was young, but I don't regret what I did. I will also say abortion should not be used as birth control!)\

What we really need in this country is a '"politician"" who isn't bought and paid for by some special interest group! Of course, that person can't fucking afford to run for any kind of elected office, because...he/she doesn't have enough money!!!!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Abortions at 8 months are illegal, except for medical concerns, arn't they?
    And who decides if there are medical concerns? Oh I dunno maybe the doctor performing the abortion. Gee.

Also - do you oppose birth control? Are you an abstinance only kind of guy?
    I have no problem with birth control. In fact the wife is on birth control. I believe in being responsible and able to provide for children brought in the world. However I would never allow an abortion if an "oops" happened. That would be killing human life for convenience.

It's just as wrong in my opinion. But I agree with you about using brain activity as a guideline. Do you agree that it should be allowed to abort a 20 week old fetus, when it's know that the Cerebral Cortex has not developed yet? Meaning the fetus is unaware?
    Is awareness a necessity for life? If someone is unconscious is it A OK to pull the plug? In any event I use the example as a rhetorical bludgeon to get people to admit that if you don't consider fetus's life then you really shouldn't consider a newborn life either. Since most find that idea distasteful most casual discussions swing around to, "oh I didn't think of it that way, that's bad."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    And who decides if there are medical concerns? Oh I dunno maybe the doctor performing the abortion. Gee.
    And you'd rather have Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh decide for you and everyone else? Puh-Leez.

I have no problem with birth control. In fact the wife is on birth control. I believe in being responsible and able to provide for children brought in the world. However I would never allow an abortion if an "oops" happened. That would be killing human life for convenience.
    Arn't you glad you're able to make that CHOICE?

Is awareness a necessity for life? If someone is unconscious is it A OK to pull the plug? In any event I use the example as a rhetorical bludgeon to get people to admit that if you don't consider fetus's life then you really shouldn't consider a newborn life either. Since most find that idea distasteful most casual discussions swing around to, "oh I didn't think of it that way, that's bad."
    Your analogies don't hold at all. And what your opinion of life is doesn't matter except in your own little world. You should keep it that way. As a patriotic American I recognize freedom is the basis on which this nation was founded and therefore would never do anything so totalitarian, so fascist, so evil as to make such personal choices for other people. Shame on you.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Abortion was banned after the first 17 weeks in 1776. The right to vote also belonged to only property-owning white males.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post

Arn't you glad you're able to make that CHOICE?
    Please please please tell me you aren't speciously trying to make a link between birth-control and life.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Is awareness a necessity for life?
    What kind of a bullshit question is this?

I'm afraid I have to decline discussing anything with you before you learn to use to quote button. I now have to search for my post which responded to you. If you do not start to do this, this will simply be my last reply to you.

This was your statement:
    If it is wrong to murder a premature newborn then why is it not wrong to murder a fetus that has just as much brain activity developed in an 8 month pregnancy?

You yourself brought up brain activity. Why?
    In any event I use the example as a rhetorical bludgeon to get people to admit that if you don't consider fetus's life then you really shouldn't consider a newborn life either.
    Oh come off it. Everyone considers a fetus life. Plants are life. The question is whether they are a person, a human being.

And your "rhetorical bludgeon" didn't put even the smallest of dents in what I said. My argument must be a "rhetorical plasma shield"
    Since most find that idea distasteful most casual discussions swing around to, "oh I didn't think of it that way, that's bad."
    Most people you argue with in that case aren't too bright. Most people who are pro-choice are not so pro-choice they believe an 8 month old fetus should be aborted if not for some medical emergency. I believe that the development of a Cerebral Cortex is the best cut off point we have. It's infinitely better than seed meets egg.

Do you agree that it should be allowed to abort a 20 week old fetus, when it's know that the Cerebral Cortex has not developed yet?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

However I would never allow an abortion if an "oops" happened. That would be killing human life for convenience.
    You wouldn't allow? Does homeschooler also have to ask your permission to go to the bathroom? I mean, since you seem to think you should have complete control over her body and all.

I'm reasonably sure she wouldn't want to, anyway, but why the fuck would she need your permission if she did?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    You wouldn't allow? Does homeschooler also have to ask your permission to go to the bathroom? I mean, since you seem to think you should have complete control over her body and all.

I'm reasonably sure she wouldn't want to, anyway, but why the fuck would she need your permission if she did?
    Because he doesn't really believe in less intrusive government, or the sanctity of physician-patient privacy, or the physician deciding how to practice medicine.

He does, however, support Big Insurance running our health care. He would not allow insurance reimbursement for abortion.

See how that works? Who needs government when freeee market money strings can accomplish the kind of social activism he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Please please please tell me you aren't speciously trying to make a link between birth-control and life.
    No I was referring to his oops and keeping the baby. The choice is between keeping the baby and aborting it.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

He does, however, support Big Insurance running our health care. He would not allow insurance reimbursement for abortion.
    Yeah allow insurance to pay for murder...

If you consider destroying a fetus the same as murder you would understand by pro-life views things the way they do. Doesn't the newborn or fetus get to choose the right to exist?

In a side note... anyone hear the controversy over the commercial in the Super Bowl? Haven't seen it of course but from what I gather all it is about one woman's choice to keep life instead of abort it. And the left is all up in arms about this.

You wouldn't allow? Does homeschooler also have to ask your permission to go to the bathroom?
    Duh.

No I was referring to his oops and keeping the baby. The choice is between keeping the baby and aborting it.
    But there's no choice as far as he's concerned, because one of the two "options" simply isn't on the table.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    But there's no choice as far as he's concerned, because one of the two "options" simply isn't on the table.
    But he chooses to keep his head is in his ass. So.... I was just trying to shout in there and see if he was listening. He wasn't.
    The Rules

And you'd rather have Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh decide for you and everyone else? Puh-Leez.
    That might seem strange, but Munchkin seeminly wants only sarah palin and hillary clinton to make descisions that mainly affect women...
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    That might seem strange, but Munchkin seeminly wants only sarah palin and hillary clinton to make descisions that mainly affect women...
    Clearly they shouldn't be making decisions about pregnancies for other women.
    The Rules

Clearly they shouldn't be making decisions about pregnancies for other women.
    Maybe they should advise each other?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Maybe they should advise each other?
    Advice is very nice. If its asked for.
    The Rules

Advice is very nice. If its asked for.
    That is why I formed it as a question.

Question for registered Republicans:

If the Tea Party people want to be considered part of the GOP and dominate the party agenda, what will you do, if anything?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

If the Tea Party people want to be considered part of the GOP and dominate the party agenda, what will you do, if anything?
    I'm 'decline to choose' but I'd like to respond to this question anyway. With the scotus ruling concerning corporate and union campaign advertizing, the Tea Party people will be minimized by Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobile, and Wal-mart stores. So there really isn't anything needed to be done.

Avertizing Money
    Last edited by Being; 02-07-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I'm 'decline to choose' but I'd like to respond to this question anyway. With the scotus ruling concerning corporate and union campaign advertizing, the Tea Party people will be minimized by Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobile, and Wal-mart stores. So there really isn't anything needed to be done.

Avertizing Money
    You're not a registered Republican, are you?

Going back to why Ogre is no longer a Republican--I was wondering how many other Republicans will either leave the party, or try to push back against the more extreme people and move toward the center.

I wouldn't mind our two party system having more options, even if it means just moving the money around with corporate sponsorship. There's something wrong when Libertarians or Independents have to run under the Republican ticket, or Conservatives or Liberals try to 'hijack' an entire party away from moderates.

You're not a registered Republican, are you?
    I said I'm 'DTC, Decline to Choose'. That is actually a choice on the ballots.

oooh Been a long time since I registered to vote. I think a similar option in Indiana was Undecided. Or Unaffiliated. Can't remember.

http://www.sos.georgia.gov/elections...ll_2007%29.pdf

Your voter registration asks you party affiliation? How very bizarre.

It varies by state. You have to declare a party in New York, but not in Illinois.

And do they stop you from voting for the other party if you really object to your own party's candidate?

Will this information be used in the witch-hunts later?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    And do they stop you from voting for the other party if you really object to your own party's candidate?

Will this information be used in the witch-hunts later?
    They stop you from voting in the other party's primary.

Unless the state has open primaries.

Did you mean to post this in the Tea Party thread?

Regarding the topic, what the hell does the Tea Party stand for? Depending on where you look it's either a social fascist party or an economic libertarian party.
    The Rules

Did you mean to post this in the Tea Party thread?

Regarding the topic, what the hell does the Tea Party stand for? Depending on where you look it's either a social fascist party or an economic libertarian party.
    I posted here for a reason, since Ogre was a Republican but is leaving the party. See his OP?

The move toward social conservatism is out there, some are Tea Partiers, some are Others. Since the GOP is having an identity crisis, I thought I'd ask Republicans what they think.