Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars. Motorsport. Things that go Vrrrmmm.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    I'd like to get a Focus, when the van I drive dies sooner or later.

I'd LOVE to get my hands on this baby though:

The Renault A130. So Sexy.
    I enjoy blank walls.

I am not a real fan of cars, but I like racing in the computer.
    I love to do some drifting.
    Of course, in real life I use to have a max speed of 40 mph, for I do not like when GAME OVER happens.

Your handle is AR81 and you're not a fan of cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I image googled Alpha Romeo 1981, and I can see why
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Heh.

Never had an alfa but they do have a fanatical following.

Great fun but hugely unreliable seems to be the usual consensus.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Yep my sources (Jeremy Clarkson) agree.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Ok, here is my old Skyline. I miss this car so much!

Nissan Skyline R32 GTR
    2.6l twin turbo straight 6.
    400bhp
    0-60 <5 secs.
    max MPG = 20!
    Insurance = £950 per year!
    Running costs = extortionate

And this is my current bundle of fun...

Peugeot 306 Rallye
    2.0l na 4cyl.
    167bhp
    0-60 = 6.7 secs
    max MPG = 35
    Insurance = £350 per year
    Running costs = cheap and cheerful!

The Rallye looks like an ordinary car from the outside, but as standard it has a 6 speed close ratio gearbox and very strong brakes and suspension. It's also very light-weight WITHOUT leather seats, aircon, fog lights, electric windows or thick sound deadening material. It's very raw and focussed. It's absolutely amazing along country B-roads yet still holds it's own in straight line races against most cars. It's a classic hot-hatch, almost like a modern 205 GTi.
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

Skyline's a beauty mate!

Must have been sad to see it go. I'm sure you can live without £950 pa insurance tho innit. I have heard of people paying a lot more on Skylines tho, p'ticularly guys in their early 20s.

Totally tune-able machine. Not that I know the first thing about tuning ...

Was following a Skyline on the A3 in Surrey a few months back. Belched flames out the exhaust on overrun ...

~

The rallye, did you buy it like that or fix it up into that state yourself?

A 6.7 sec time out of a 4pot 2.0 with 167bhp is commendable!

My 330Ci convertible had a 6pot 3.0l with 231bhp and on paper it's 0-62 time was 6.9 secs! Slower ...

Fkin heavy beast. Convertibles are always heavy due to extra structure built into doors and surrounds to make up for lack of roof rigidity. It made a wonderful sound though, I love 6pots.

~

Thus far methinks you be a bit of a boy-racer dude. Skylines and stripped-out hot hatches. All that's missing is a Scooby!

Haha, I'm no boy racer - but I do like fast cars. You'd never catch me in a Scooby (clitoris car) though as I've always liked cars that are a bit more rare.

The Skyline was great fun, no doubt, and it was my dream car too. However the running costs were simply astonishing and I could never really afford to do all the things I wanted with it i.e. go on track days etc.
    The Rallye is completely standard and amazing fun to drive. It's very cheap too, a decent one will set you back only £2000. Compare that against the next best thing - Civic Type R - and a good one will set you back £8000.

So do you still have your 330Ci? I knew a guy with the hardtop version and it was very nice. You're right about the straight 6 engine - they do purr don't they!

Another one bites the dust....

GM couldn't offload Hummer, so now the brand is going to be shut down like its cousin brand Saturn. An American icon (for good or bad) is no more

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    The Hummer never should have left the army anyway, so I'm not sheding any tears.
    I enjoy blank walls.

What Mario said. As for the Skyline, never been a fan and i deffo don't like the Scooby or the Evo's.

Lor, so if you had £8k to spend on a fast car what would you buy?

Hmm .. tough one.

2001/2002 E46 M3 p'raps?
    Will have quite a high mileage for that age & price.

Not the car to go for if tuning is your thing though.

One of the older Impreza's maybe, before the ugly bug-eyed one came out. Could get a pristine one for £8k.

Quote Originally Posted by xaero1 View Post
    Lor, so if you had £8k to spend on a fast car what would you buy?
    Now your asking questions! Under the principles of 'Tuning Cars Only' i'd rather have a RX7 like this one. Or even a Supra if the price was right.

I find the Impreza and Evo just a plain ugly looking cars, i have absolutely nothing great to say about them.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Skyline, i think to have a car that has so much ability to tune is a triumph in engineering. It's just not something i'd personally buy as i don't go for cars based on tuning abilities.

Timbuk2, M3s are OK - but a bit chavvy for me. Usually they're driven by wide-boys called Kevin, or Raj. The early Imprezzas are good cars but as I said before, they're clitoris cars - every cunt has got one. LOL

Lor, glad you like the RX7. That's definitely going to be the next performance sports car I get. I'd need a savings account with £5k in it at all times though - for when the engine blows up.

If I had £8k and wanted an everyday fast car though it would be a toss up between a Civic Type R and a Golf R32. I'd lean more towards the Golf though as the R32s are a bit more rare.

R32 is a great car. The V6 sounds fab and has a ton of torque (colleague had a MkV and has a MkVI), and the 4WD is very grippy.

Type R is a lot of performance for little money, and people rave about the revvy VTEC engine, but too revvy for me. Horrid high-pitched whine. Plus it's FWD. And nowhere near as much torque as the R32.

Both are hatchbacks though, which I don't go for ...

Coupe all the way for me.

Woohoo .... GP Season kicks off in Melbourne this weekend.

Hamilton setting the early practice pace ...

Quote Originally Posted by Beeb Sport

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton took advantage of some rare dry conditions in the second session to clock Friday's fastest practice time in Melbourne.

Hamilton set a lap of one minute 25.801 seconds to edge out team-mate Jenson Button by 0.275 secs before a spell of heavy rain hit the Albert Park track.

Red Bull's Mark Webber emerged as the track dried later on to go third ahead of Mercedes's Michael Schumacher.

Renault's Robert Kubica was fastest in the day's first practice session.

"It's definitely not the weather I am used to in Australia, but we did get some dry running which is not too bad," said Hamilton.

"The track was very dirty in the first session, everyone just waits forever to go out and I wanted to go out and have some fun, so I went out early.

"Generally the session was quite good. I had to make some changes to the car but I did that in between sessions.

"It was difficult at the end when we made some more changes as the track was not up to top speed. Nevertheless we felt quite comfortable with the balance of the car so I am quite happy."

With temperatures lower than in the first session and light rain falling, there was little action for the opening part of the second 90-minute session as the pit crews switched their attention to the weather and weighed up swapping dry-weather slick tyres for intermediates.

The BMW Sauber pair of Pedro de la Rosa and Kamui Kobayashi were among the first to go out, but they struggled for grip.

But the rain eased off and the Williams duo of Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hulkenberg posted the first times after 16 minutes.

The McLaren drivers then vied for the lead, with the 2008 champion responding after his successor had stolen ahead.

Button pushed hard to strike back but could not match his colleague and the two McLarens stayed at the top of the times for the rest of the session as the rain came and went.

The track dried in the closing minutes of the session, allowing Michael Schumacher to depose Russian novice Vitaly Petrov's Renault from third spot before the seven-time champion was himself beaten by Red Bull's Webber.

The Australian's team-mate Sebastian Vettel ended the session 16th fastest, sandwiched between the Ferraris of Bahrain winner Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa as all three appeared to concentrate on race preparation with heavy fuel loads.

After his short-lived debut at Bahrain, Karun Chandhok's Hispania had to be pushed back to the pit lane by the marshals after a suspected gearbox failure left it stranded on the track.

There was more drama right at the end as De la Rosa narrowly avoided collisions as he was overtaken by both Button and Hamilton.

"As soon as I jumped in the car, I was reasonably happy with the balance and it's just got better throughout the day," said Button.

"It is so busy that it is difficult to get a gap but our cars are running well around here so it is positive in that way. The last couple of laps were frustrating.

"I think some cars are not being told the correct information about us catching them up.

"I know it is tough with a big difference in speed and we are one of the quicker cars at the moment, but we will forget about that and just focus on making sure it is competitive tomorrow."

One of those struggling outfits, Virgin Racing, suffered badly from technical problems as a gearbox leakage and telemetry problems blighted Lucas di Grassi and Timo Glock's second sessions.

It was a further blow to the team, who it has emerged are having to redesign their car after discovering the fuel tank is too small to get them to the end of races at full speed.

Kubica was 11th in the second session after setting the pace in the first session with a fastest lap of 1:26.927, 0.199secs ahead of Mercedes' Nico Rosberg.

The German was 0.356secs ahead of Button's McLaren in third, with Massa, Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton were next up.

Force India reserve driver Paul di Resta, who drove the session in place of regular driver Adrian Sutil, was a creditable 11th on his Formula 1 race-weekend debut, one place ahead of Schumacher's Mercedes.

Button pushed hard to strike back but could not match his colleague and the two McLarens stayed at the top of the times for the rest of the session as the rain came and went.

I'll be following Button this season. He's my man.

Schumacher back in the mix is going to be brilliant.

Yay. Bring it on.

Someday I need to sit down and watch a car race to see if I can follow it...

Which racing genre would Dread watch?
    I suggest a LeMons race to get you started. Full of WTF moments.

Things that go vrrrm ... for a bit

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Still think that was done on purpose. You can tell the car has been rolled, and thus totalled (area with the plastic is caved in). Looks like he was trying to see how much more destruction he could create.

You might be right judging the condition of the car. All that fail plastered everywhere bums me out regardless. Just look at it as an engine going mental.

Ferrari testdriver looking to see how much punishment it can take.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Thats how a Ferrrari is meant to be driven!

The Ford Focus RS500 finally leaked. Yet another reason for me to secretly hate Europe.
    Click to view the full version

That Focus does nothing for me, i don't get the hype.

Not a fan of pocket rockets?

This thing puts out more power to the front wheels than Ford's 2011 V6 Mustang. Thats reaching insanely hilarious handling requirements.

When i see that car the very first picture i get is some skinny, diamante earring wearing numpty with a 16 yr old girl in the passenger seat. That, or someone with a midlife crisis. The Cosworth never done it for me either having said that. I just prefer the sleek lines of a Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    When i see that car the very first picture i get is some skinny, diamante earring wearing numpty with a 16 yr old girl in the passenger seat. That, or someone with a midlife crisis. The Cosworth never done it for me either having said that. I just prefer the sleek lines of a Coupe.
    Or someone with a midlife crisis with a 16 year old girl in the front seat.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

See, even Lolli knows!