Thread: Joblessness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Illusions. When we didn't need 80% of people farming new jobs came along. When we didn't need a big chunk of the population working in factories service industries and computers came along. Something else will come along, again this is all based on what has happened in the past historically.

What will the new jobs be like? Well hard to determine. I suspect there will always be the need for human interaction in the service industries. Possibly WAY in the future we will have robots life like and with personality but that is still Sci-Fi for now.

Maybe there will be a bigger need for robot repair men or robot programmers. Maybe new technology (like the computer did in the last 50 years) will open up new jobs that we haven't dreamed of having before.

But taking a look from your point of view are you suggesting we shouldn't have robots because they might replace too many workers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Illusions. When we didn't need 80% of people farming new jobs came along. When we didn't need a big chunk of the population working in factories service industries and computers came along. Something else will come along, again this is all based on what has happened in the past historically.
    But historically it has always been that the new jobs created still require human beings, because we didn't yet have machines that could do them. Eventually there will come a point where the new jobs being created are more suited towards being done by machines than by people.

What will the new jobs be like? Well hard to determine. I suspect there will always be the need for human interaction in the service industries. Possibly WAY in the future we will have robots life like and with personality but that is still Sci-Fi for now.
    Well I certainly hope not. I quite like the soulless and emotionless self-serve checkout stations they're implementing. If I wanted human interaction, I'd go spend time with a person. Since I just want whatever good is being provided by the store I'm frequenting I'd rather the process be as streamlined as possible. Said machines don't take up time asking me how my day is, or get pissed off and perform less efficiently if I don't show an interest in theirs. It scans my order, tallies it up, tells me how much, I pay, and I go.

Also you're overlooking how many people are actually required in the services industry. I don't think our entire work force can be reduced to services and creative endeavors yet continue growing population-wise.

Maybe there will be a bigger need for robot repair men or robot programmers.
    We already have robots building robots, and robots that can program, so its only a matter of time before we have robots building, programming, and servicing robots.

But taking a look from your point of view are you suggesting we shouldn't have robots because they might replace too many workers?
    Making laws against it? Not really. People employing some thought to the process and the consequences of employing a robot over a person? In the future when it will be a problem, it would be a good idea to do so.
    . . .