Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Voter Photo ID -- Is It Really Terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Oh, I wish. Going to the Department of Motor Vehicles is like a punishment. I swear, they must have the crankiest, meanest people working there. I'm sure their employment application asks, "Are you able to be in a bad mood 24/7, and talk to people like they are horrible children?" It seems it's always an hour wait or more for the littlest thing. I've taken to using their internet services when I can.

In my state you renew a license every 5 years; you're allowed to renew it once over the net (or at least it was last time I renewed). It also used to be $12 but I'm unsure if they've upped the price now that the license designs changed recently.

EDIT: It's $4 a year now; that's a weird way of putting it. ID cards are $10 but the website doesn't say how long they are good for?
    I actually spoke about photo IDs not driver licences. I don't have to renew my driver license.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    I actually spoke about photo IDs not driver licences. I don't have to renew my driver license.
    How long is yours good for? Mine was originally meant to be good until 2055 (!), but they're changing the law to get old people off the streets.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

My licence is good until I'm 70 (so '52), but the photocard has to be renewed every decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Because I don't need a photo ID, nothing is stopping me from going back and voting in those states again.
    Saying this is about voter fraud is a complete strawman.
    Nice to see you call yourself out on your own shortcomings
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Going back to the original post, I find it curious how requiring voter ID is portrayed as a conspiracy to get left-wingers to vote less. The kinds of editorial in the OP tend to go on to make vague claims about how hard it can be to get photo ID.

The irony is any enhanced difficulties/costs getting photo ID are enhanced by left-wing votes which keep state unions in power, which in turn inhibit the efficient delivery of government services. This is why Americans joke about their driver ID/licensing organizations so much (known here as the DMV). They are widely perceived as exemplars of inefficient government. In many states, re-structuring DMVs has taken years, partially because of collective bargaining agreements that make structural reforms difficult for any government agency.
    Your OP article is titled, "The Myth of Voter Fraud". Using fraud as a reason for voter ID is fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Getting gov't issued photo ID can be difficult for the elderly and poor, as you said yourself. The DMV is inefficient, and you can blame unions all you want, but it's not the left-wingers calling for voter photo ID.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I would say that we should be preventing fraud and the biggest part of the problem is that we under the current system can have very little idea just how much fraud is going on. Its so easy to commit fraud, so difficult to detect, that we simply won't know how much is happening. Given what extremes some people will go to and how passionately partisan many are, I think having a system wide open to abuse is frankly insane.
    Is the system wide open to abuse? Information tracking may be poor but proxies for information do exist, and they universally suggest that the incidence of fraud is pretty low. Now that's not proof and even worse it's an aggregate claim addressing all kinds of fraud *like box-stuffing, pre-marking ballots, etc* but it boggles the mind to think that all other types of fraud are pretty rare and this one type is actually comparatively widespread and undetected. Since it is not actually difficult to detect. All it takes to detect it is for the fraudster and the genuine voter both try and cast a vote. Given that this is a very inefficient way to try and change the outcome of an election, since it is both time and manpower intensive, and the fact that manpower-based voter fraud is itself almost impossible to hide and almost guarantees some conspiracy-organizers are going to go to jail, I would actually expect that this is a comparatively rare type of voter fraud, engaged in as a crime of opportunity, and incredibly unlikely to have a significant effect. Which rather suggests to me that this is NOT the "biggest part of the problem," whatever you think that problem is.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    How long is yours good for? Mine was originally meant to be good until 2055 (!), but they're changing the law to get old people off the streets.
    There are discussions how to get the old people from the streets, but currently you can only use your drivers license if you get caught driving wrong.

Why on earth would you want to get old people off the streets?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I think what he meant was "They want to get old people to stop driving their cars as their driving skills usually fade rapidly after a certain age."
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Which is just mean, old people are generally safer drivers than young people, until they become significantly hampered by eg. stroke, dementia, blindness etc. But that's not a question of age, that's a question of health, which can be assessed.

No, they're actually not generally better drivers than young people. That's the point.

We sometimes have newspaper articles about the crazy accidents some older people cause - just recently there was an old lady doing a test drive with a car from a car shop. She got confused, turned around and plowed through the car shop at high speeds, causing over 50,000€ in damage.

And, yes, the laws which are proposed from time to time don't call for a general ban but rather a mandatory assessment on a yearly basis to see whether you are still fit to drive. There are also programs which allow you to trade your driver's license for a reduced-price ticket for public transport.

Except that they are. They drive much more cautiously, they're not particularly likely to drink and drive, they are, tbh, not as likely to drive in the first place. Society and old people would benefit from retaining the independence that driving affords old people.

Yes, they drive much more cautiously. That's another problem right there - when they drive too slow they become a problem. We call them "sunday drivers" over here and they're generally much cursed upon due to the long queues of cars behind them.

Yes but that's a problem with the impatient Germans. As we've established in this thread, speed is an extremely important aspect of safety and, as we've also established, safety necessarily comes first. Other aspects of cautious driving that elderly people excel in are things like not being as eager to drive when you're tired.

Look, there are reasons why it may be more difficult for an old person to drive, but restricting their driving should be based on an individual assessment just like you do when someone wants to get a driver's license. If it turns out that your old person is having some difficulties with driving because his vision is deteriorating, maybe you can correct it. If it's because his hearing is impaired, maybe you can fix that. If it's because he's developed dementia or had a stroke and fails tests designed to examine capacity for driving, well then you have every reason and every right to restrict his driving. It shouldn't be done based on chronological age, it should be done based on capacity.

Don't gear up for an angry rant now, old people are lovely and we both know we want them to have good lives

Also, according to German research, driving like old people is better for the environment

Back on topic:

It looks to me as if voter suppression is a far greater problem in the US than voter fraud. What say the Americans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_suppression

MAGIC!
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Yes but that's a problem with the impatient Germans. As we've established in this thread, speed is an extremely important aspect of safety and, as we've also established, safety necessarily comes first. Other aspects of cautious driving that elderly people excel in are things like not being as eager to drive when you're tired.
    "Impatient"? If 100Km/h are allowed and you're only driving 70 or 60, that has nothing to do with "impatient". You're a road block.

Florida highways have a maximum and minimum speed. One I use the most is 65/40.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    MAGIC!
    I think you mean magnets.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

@Aimless:

You Wikifisted something with a very clear anti-Republican slant.

Both parties have been accused of shenanigans at the local level. And even local parties get in on the craziness. I remember the Republicans trying something similar in 2004 with college students by claiming, by telling college students they couldn't be registered in both their home states and their university locations.

I don't think these are actually big, widespread problems. But one thing that makes it easier is when voter identification at the polls is so weak. And everyone knows it's weak, which makes it easy for local political operatives to have a field day challenging voter rolls.

Once again, pointing out the ease in which one can commit voter fraud doesn't mean I think it's a major scourge impacting elections at a grand scale. It means that it's easy to commit voter fraud, which is a problem. Fixing it shouldn't be controversial, and neither should be making it easy for people to get the photo ID that they need to do so many other things anyway.

Plus, an example of this happening at the national level in India. I actually don't support this in the US, but an example of a country trying to change a bad/nonexistent ID system: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...fa_fact_parker

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    "Impatient"? If 100Km/h are allowed and you're only driving 70 or 60, that has nothing to do with "impatient". You're a road block.
    But 100Km/h shouldn't be allowed and, moreover, how you react to people driving at 70 Km/h isn't mandated by law, it's entirely up to you. Patience isn't regulated by any laws that I know of. Kinda like how you're legally allowed to get shitfaced every day even though it wouldn't be very prudent

Out of curiosity, is it illegal to drive at 70 on a road where the speed limit is 100?

Out of curiosity, is it illegal to drive at 70 on a road where the speed limit is 100?
    I honestly don't know about the legal situation, but my driving instructor said that plus minus ten of the speed limit usually meant being pulled over.

You Wikifisted something with a very clear anti-Republican slant.

Both parties have been accused of shenanigans at the local level. And even local parties get in on the craziness. I remember the Republicans trying something similar in 2004 with college students by claiming, by telling college students they couldn't be registered in both their home states and their university locations.

I don't think these are actually big, widespread problems.
    Wow Dread, talk about a kneejerk reaction. It's a problem even if the article has an anti-Republican bias and in reality both sides do it.

You'll note that the biased article--that surely ignores instances of Democratic voter suppression (except the thing about Kerry's employees slashing tires)--manages to make a more convincing case for the problem of voter suppression than this thread makes for the problem of voter fraud in the US.

But one thing that makes it easier is when voter identification at the polls is so weak. And everyone knows it's weak, which makes it easy for local political operatives to have a field day challenging voter rolls.

Once again, pointing out the ease in which one can commit voter fraud doesn't mean I think it's a major scourge impacting elections at a grand scale. It means that it's easy to commit voter fraud, which is a problem. Fixing it shouldn't be controversial, and neither should be making it easy for people to get the photo ID that they need to do so many other things anyway.
    If you can ensure that every single eligible voter gets a free photo ID then sure, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I live in Sweden, I clearly don't have a problem with the government knowing where everyone lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I honestly don't know about the legal situation, but my driving instructor said that plus minus ten of the speed limit usually meant being pulled over.
    But can you be ticketed if eg. there's no minimum speed sign and you're driving in the appropriate lane? Anyone?

I would have to disagree. "Voter suppression" efforts are comparatively easy to track. Our voting processes at the state level can be so rinky-dink that it's comparatively harder to track voter fraud.

I would have to disagree. "Voter suppression" efforts are comparatively easy to track. Our voting processes at the state level can be so rinky-dink that it's comparatively harder to track voter fraud.
    Are you suggesting that the magnitude of voter fraud in the US is similar to that of voter suppression? That's all I was wondering in my first post about voter suppression. The available evidence seems to suggest that voter suppression is a bigger obstacle to democracy in the US than voter fraud. Sure, absence of evidence isn't proof of absence, but we have to act on the basis of knowledge rather than on the basis of mind-ghosts, right?

The idea is to have health tests after you reach a certain age.

But can you be ticketed if eg. there's no minimum speed sign and you're driving in the appropriate lane? Anyone?
    You can fail the UK driving test for driving significantly below the speed limit if it is safe to do so.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You say photo ID isn't "voter suppression", even when aiminx linked studies showing it was. Somewhere around 25% of minorities, poor, and elderly don't have driver's licenses or gov't-issued photo ID. So, if it's not to prevent voter fraud, and you don't think it's a form of voter suppression, your only reason for a new ID program is to fix the rinky-dink state processes. Each state decides their own requirements. In Texas, state university students would not be able to use their school photo ID, but a non-photo gun permit is acceptable.