Thread: Voter Photo ID -- Is It Really Terrible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What!?

We have to register to vote, and renew the registration annually. Deadline to register is normally a month before polling day.

How could you remotely avoid fraud without having a registration?
    Over here you are automatically registered to vote if you are a citizen living in the Netherlands. You simply get your voting card sent to your home two weeks in advance or so. Bring it to the polling station, with an ID, and that's all you need.

Not sure how it works if you live abroad TBH, I suspect you have to register at the embassy/consulate.

Do you guys have advertising campaigns reminding people to register?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Over here you are automatically registered to vote if you are a citizen living in the Netherlands. You simply get your voting card sent to your home two weeks in advance or so. Bring it to the polling station, with an ID, and that's all you need.

Not sure how it works if you live abroad TBH, I suspect you have to register at the embassy/consulate.
    If you've not registered, how do they know where you live?
    Do you guys have advertising campaigns reminding people to register?
    Yes.

OG: You didn't address my point above (or I missed it if you did). What about simply requiring everyone to vote to bring with them a valid passport? Surely voting security is every bit as important as that for air travel?

I'm going on holiday next week flying from Manchester to London Gatwick, then from Gatwick to the Dominican Republic. When I do I'll be required to bring my passport with me - simply to get some sunshine for a few weeks, but to choose the next government the identity restrictions are so much lighter?

If you've not registered, how do they know where you live?
    As I said, your register once where you live, each time you move. But you need to do that anyway so it is not related with voting. As I see it you have to renew it each year and in the US AFAIK for each voting. As I see it, this is a big difference.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    As I said, your register once where you live, each time you move. But you need to do that anyway so it is not related with voting. As I see it you have to renew it each year and in the US AFAIK for each voting. As I see it, this is a big difference.
    Why do you have to register where you live?

We renew our registration annually. The process is quite simple though, if no details have changed especially you can renew on an automated phone system.

Why do you have to register where you live?
    Mostly because of taxes. Otherwise everyone would pay their taxes in the cheapest municipality.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Your quote isn't in your link, but from Googling it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electio...United_States)
    Election Day is a civic holiday in some states, including Delaware, Hawaii, Kentucky, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and West Virginia. Some other states require that workers be permitted to take time off from employment without loss of pay. California Elections Code Section 14000 provides that employees otherwise unable to vote must be allowed two hours off with pay, at the beginning or end of a shift.
    So in other words: Not a national holiday.