Thread: Voter Photo ID -- Is It Really Terrible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Driving without a driver's license is illegal, and we all know people who break the law should be thrown in jail.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Driving without a driver's license is illegal, and we all know people who break the law should be thrown in jail.
    I don't need to carry my license with me to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    which means having to purchase one for possibly every 2 out of 3 presidental elections.
    Well I suppose it's a matter of minutes to get a new one with a valid old one. At least here it's like that.
    not to mention the high mobility rate of the poor, with states requiring a local ID for services.
    Now that doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I don't need to carry my license with me to drive.
    Well if this is really true for the UK, never do that abroad. Driver licence and car licence should always be at hand while driving.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Well if this is really true for the UK, never do that abroad. Driver licence and car licence should always be at hand while driving.
    Never knew that. Even when stopped by the Police (as has coincidentally been discussed in another thread), I have never once been asked for my licence. If you get stopped here and ticketed for doing something wrong and they ask for your licence, you have 7 days to present it at court.

What happens if you lose it? Physically. Can you not drive until you have it replaced?

I've lost my wallet with my licence in and not bothered to get it replaced yet.

Well I suppose it's a matter of minutes to get a new one with a valid old one. At least here it's like that.
    Oh, I wish. Going to the Department of Motor Vehicles is like a punishment. I swear, they must have the crankiest, meanest people working there. I'm sure their employment application asks, "Are you able to be in a bad mood 24/7, and talk to people like they are horrible children?" It seems it's always an hour wait or more for the littlest thing. I've taken to using their internet services when I can.

In my state you renew a license every 5 years; you're allowed to renew it once over the net (or at least it was last time I renewed). It also used to be $12 but I'm unsure if they've upped the price now that the license designs changed recently.

EDIT: It's $4 a year now; that's a weird way of putting it. ID cards are $10 but the website doesn't say how long they are good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Oh, I wish. Going to the Department of Motor Vehicles is like a punishment. I swear, they must have the crankiest, meanest people working there. I'm sure their employment application asks, "Are you able to be in a bad mood 24/7, and talk to people like they are horrible children?" It seems it's always an hour wait or more for the littlest thing. I've taken to using their internet services when I can.

In my state you renew a license every 5 years; you're allowed to renew it once over the net (or at least it was last time I renewed). It also used to be $12 but I'm unsure if they've upped the price now that the license designs changed recently.

EDIT: It's $4 a year now; that's a weird way of putting it. ID cards are $10 but the website doesn't say how long they are good for?
    I actually spoke about photo IDs not driver licences. I don't have to renew my driver license.

I actually spoke about photo IDs not driver licences. I don't have to renew my driver license.
    How long is yours good for? Mine was originally meant to be good until 2055 (!), but they're changing the law to get old people off the streets.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    How long is yours good for? Mine was originally meant to be good until 2055 (!), but they're changing the law to get old people off the streets.
    There are discussions how to get the old people from the streets, but currently you can only use your drivers license if you get caught driving wrong.