Thread: Voter Photo ID -- Is It Really Terrible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It really would defeat the point if the point is to make sure that no-one can commit in-person voter fraud. The whole point of requiring photo ID is to ensure that a person's identity is properly verified. If you can get a photo ID without someone seeing you irl and confirming your identity, then you can absolutely commit in person voter fraud.
    Except that identity fraud is already a crime and to commit fraud like that would require bypassing a series of checks already. For each individual vote.

Steely the proportion of people without access to the internet now is vanishingly small, like complaining about people needing access to a telephone. Certainly I suspect it's easier to get online than drive 2 hours which was the suggested alternative. Or you can use snail mail as a backup.

LF I understand that America is still in the 20th century for documentation. Doesn't mean it has to be that way. We already can get oursonline or by post. https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provi...re-information
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Except that identity fraud is already a crime and to commit fraud like that would require bypassing a series of checks already. For each individual vote.
    The in-person voter fraud that keeps Republicans up at night cooking up photo ID legislation is the kind made possible by laws that allow people to identify themselves without photo ID.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Steely the proportion of people without access to the internet now is vanishingly small, like complaining about people needing access to a telephone. Certainly I suspect it's easier to get online than drive 2 hours which was the suggested alternative. Or you can use snail mail as a backup.

LF I understand that America is still in the 20th century for documentation. Doesn't mean it has to be that way. We already can get oursonline or by post. https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provi...re-information
    A provisional driver's license is not a driver's license nor would it be acceptable id for voting. Your own cited pages mention you have to GO IN for a vision test, at a driving test centre, as one of the steps for securing the actual license. And Alabama closed the testing centers in many of those communities. Stop being a lying little weasel. What is it you think you accomplish by pretending that people don't have to actually go into a testing centre to get a license in the UK?
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 12-23-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You added in this line.
    What is it you think you accomplish by pretending that people don't have to actually go into a testing centre to get a license in the UK?
    You go to a testing centre to take the test. Of course you do, never suggested you can pass your test online. You do that once and it's valid for life, assuming you don't lose it of course. However we were talking about ID not licenses.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

You added in this line.

You go to a testing centre to take the test. Of course you do, never suggested you can pass your test online. You do that once and it's valid for life, assuming you don't lose it of course. However we were talking about ID not licenses.
    We're talking about licenses, because that is the most common form of acceptable id. I know we're talking about licenses because you're a lying little weasel and linked to the UK requirements "To get your first provisional driving licence online for a moped, motorbike or car." Nothing anywhere on that page about any kind of non-license id, you lying little weasel.

And you have go to into the ALEA office to get an id too. As Aimless pointed out, if you could do it online, effectively anonymously, than it couldn't be used as vaiid id for voting in the first place because it circumvents the ENTIRE FUCKING IDEA. But you can't acknowledge that because you're a lying little WEASEL
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    We're talking about licenses, because that is the most common form of acceptable id. I know we're talking about licenses because you're a lying little weasel and linked to the UK requirements "To get your first provisional driving licence online for a moped, motorbike or car." Nothing anywhere on that page about any kind of non-license id, you lying little weasel.

And you have go to into the ALEA office to get an id too. As Aimless pointed out, if you could do it online, effectively anonymously, than it couldn't be used as vaiid id for voting in the first place because it circumvents the ENTIRE FUCKING IDEA. But you can't acknowledge that because you're a lying little WEASEL
    I don't accept Aimless's point as I think and said that other steps can and should be taken to prevent identity theft and identity fraud.

A provisional license Is a type of license here and it is full Photo ID and done either online or by post from start to finish. Dealing with ID especially for young people is a part of my job and I see Provisional Licenses as Photo ID very regularly.