Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
So, continue with the chaos that actually enables those who want to suppress minority voting? I am surprised at Americans insisting they can’t do what India is capable of doing.
At this point I'm not sure what you're saying considering the context is that they're replies to my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
It's not about competence—it's about safeguarding the right to passively choose slavery. There are many (self-interested) rationalizations for why it's better for the state and for the nation and for the people to restrict voting. That it might be unfair to restrict voting in such a way that those harmed by the restrictions cannot easily vote to increase their freedom does not bother the (steadily shrinking) majority.
The one measure restricting voting I can kinda get behind (but not the way it usually gets implemented which is straight voter-suppression) is purging the rolls. Usually they do it with elections coming up to try and deter some elements from voting and that's ridiculous. If you want to remove no-longer-valid entries, the time to do it would be not long AFTER an election. Probably send out letters in the six months prior soliciting confirmation that the registrant is still active at their listed address and warning that due to inactivity, discrepancies, apparent duplication, etc. that they will be removed at the end of the current cycle and would have to re-register to vote in subsequent elections without it. I wouldn't have a problem with a system where registration needs to be renewed periodically like most licenses either.