Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea Party Movement

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    There are states that do not require insurance, New Hampshire and Wisconsin. As such, insurance in those states is crazy cheap.

On the flip side, when insurance is required, but a public option is available, and the industry regulated (Florida property insurance), prices are also kept from going astronomical.

Currently the health insurance bill doesn't match either of these models. Either we're going to see heavy regulation laws by 2014, or a public option; or we'll see it soon after the insurance companies go bananas with policy hikes.
    My money is on heavy regulation.
    Congratulations America

I just heard on the news, a recent poll shows 74% of tea partiers self-identify as Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I just heard on the news, a recent poll shows 74% of tea partiers self-identify as Republicans.
    Such a surprise.
    Congratulations America

Thats up from the 62 percent CBS gave last month.

It also shows why the Republicans are whores to the Tea Party movement. They won't shun it, they won't won't badmouth it, and they won't distance themselves; because they need the votes. If the Tea baggers spilt, the Republicans don't have a chance in the polls, but if the Republicans keep catering to their batshit insaneness, they could possibly have the chance to create a "stable" majority.

Thats up from the 62 percent CBS gave last month.

It also shows why the Republicans are whores to the Tea Party movement. They won't shun it, they won't won't badmouth it, and they won't distance themselves; because they need the votes. If the Tea baggers spilt, the Republicans don't have a chance in the polls, but if the Republicans keep catering to their batshit insaneness, they could possibly have the chance to create a "stable" majority.
    I don't know, it could also be that this means the TPM isn't really sustainable.
    Congratulations America

It doesn't have to be sustainable, but if its allowed to get anywhere near as valid, independent or organized as the Progressive party the Republicans can expect to see another election cycle flushed down the drain.

It doesn't have to be sustainable, but if its allowed to get anywhere near as valid, independent or organized as the Progressive party the Republicans can expect to see another election cycle flushed down the drain.
    What you would have to ask yourself is, were these people ever going to vote for any other party ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    What you would have to ask yourself is, were these people ever going to vote for any other party ?
    You're running in circles. I'm not expecting them to vote for another party with the way the Republicans keep catering to the fringe. The Republicans have to cater to them. If the Republicans didn't cater to these abusive, racist, clueless masses of people, they could very well go and vote for one of their own. Which wouldn't amount to anything but handing the election to a democrat.

I fully understand these people existed before, but now they are organized. They're loud. They are discovering that together they have just enough push within their existing party to really fuck things up.

I'm just catching up on the news. Now death threats are coming in? Even to Stupak. Gives new meaning to the Ugly American.

Death Threats?
    RICHMOND, Va. — Authorities are investigating a severed propane line at the home of a Virginia congressman's brother after tea party activists posted the man's address online.
    Activists are upset about U.S. Rep. Tom Perriello's vote in favor of the health care reform.
    Perriello's office said that a line to a propane tank on a gas grill was cut at Bo Periello's Charlottesville home on Tuesday. Tea party activists had posted the address online thinking it was the congressman's home, telling opponents to drop by and "express their thanks" for his vote.
    Albemarle County spokeswoman Lee Catlin said the county fire marshal's office was assisting the Federal Bureau of Investigation. She said investigators didn't believe the home's occupants were in danger.
    These guys are dumber than 4chan.

And the bricks through windows that are popping up across the nation.
    Mike Vanderboegh of Pinson, Ala., former leader of the Alabama Constitutional Militia, put out a call on Friday for modern “Sons of Liberty” to break the windows of Democratic Party offices nationwide in opposition to health care reform. Since then, vandals have struck several offices, including the Sedgwick County Democratic Party headquarters in Wichita.

Annie get yer gun?

It's disturbing that some "leaders" and media outlets are encouraging people to act out with violence. Before the vote, Republicans stood on the balcony to cheer on the angry crowd below. I've no idea what Limbaugh, Beck et al are doing besides egging on the extremists, but it doesn't sound very civil or smart to stoke a fire that way.

To me it seems the Right in the US is putting less and less importance on civilty.
    Congratulations America

Can somebody explain to me what the words '“I’ll just tell you this. If this passes and its five years from now, and all that stuff gets implemented, I am leaving the country. I’ll go to Costa Rica.” (this being the health care legislation) mean?
    Congratulations America

To me it seems the Right in the US is putting less and less importance on civilty.
    Well, they are apes after all.

Can somebody explain to me what the words '“I’ll just tell you this. If this passes and its five years from now, and all that stuff gets implemented, I am leaving the country. I’ll go to Costa Rica.” (this being the health care legislation) mean?
    It means, roughly, this: "If after all the exaggerations, spin and lies I've spewed, after all the confusion and hate I've sewn and whipped up, and even though I get sickenlying rich doing this, if I don't get what I want I am going to quit this so-called democracy and move to a third world country; because people like me, with lots and lots of money and no personal or professional integrity, we will do better there than in a country that gives a crap about its most vulnerable citizens."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    It means, roughly, this: "If after all the exaggerations, spin and lies I've spewed, after all the confusion and hate I've sewn and whipped up, and even though I get sickenlying rich doing this, if I don't get what I want I am going to quit this so-called democracy and move to a third world country; because people like me, with lots and lots of money and no personal or professional integrity, we will do better there than in a country that gives a crap about its most vulnerable citizens."
    So it doesn't mean I will not actually go there ?
    Congratulations America

OK, it's officially weird. Palin introduced McCain, she's stumping for him in Arizona, and she said "he's part of the tea party movement".

So it doesn't mean I will not actually go there ?
    It means he's an asshole. I can't image what the hell he was talking about in that. I don't care. It doesn't matter. He's a horrible bastard and if he moved to CR then America would be better for it. Fuck him.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    OK, it's officially weird. Palin introduced McCain, she's stumping for him in Arizona, and she said "he's part of the tea party movement".
    McCain sold his soul a long time ago. Fuck him too. Just being seen with her is a major black mark on his persona.
    The Rules

A politician doing something to help his election prospects? What's the world coming to. In the good old days, the politicians only cared about doing what is right. These impostors.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    A politician doing something to help his election prospects? What's the world coming to. In the good old days, the politicians only cared about doing what is right. These impostors.
    Heh.

Your caricature of why 'the politician' goes into politics doesn't explain anything. Your attitude is that of a crass anti-democracy populist.

Eyekhan rightly assumes that a politician who changes his views too blatantly too often is not a politician who meets the standard.
    Congratulations America

Got this in an email from a certain fascist wannabe:

I love how they worked in the basic one-liner stupidity - starve the beast and throw the bums out. And now they think they want civil war. Wonderful. Well, its been a long time since we fought a war on our own soil - those kinds of traumas die hard, but they do apparently die. Its the sort of thing that produces the most poignent "What were we THINKING" moments, well beyond the point of no return.

Here's some of the email texts. Feel free to send them questions & comments about their lunatic beliefs. They deserve it:

Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:52 AM
    Subject: FW: Billboard in Missouri

The politicians who do not listen are announcing that we are calling them names and spiting at them. They report that their lives have been threatened and ask the FBI to protect them.

These people are so out of touch they will not believe it when the mob with pitchforks and baseball bats march into the Capitol to take back their country from these idiots. The original "TEA Parties" like our current ones were calm.... for awhile.

Gene

To: ;
    Subject: Billboard in Missouri
    Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:38:33 -0700

It won’t be long now………
    This is just the beginning
    Subject: Billboard on I-70 in Missouri Hi Folks... how's this for a neat billboard on I-70!!!! looks like things are heating up across this country... the 'sleeping giant' has started to awake!! LOOK OUT!!! the party on THE HILL is just about over!!!!! Thanks for passing this on... now all you folks do the same...
    Billboard on I-70 in Missouri

The Rules

Wow, so now fascism is synonymous with threatening civil conflict.

No, wannabe fascism. And that's what comes after the civil conflict.
    The Rules

Got this in an email from a certain fascist wannabe:

I love how they worked in the basic one-liner stupidity - starve the beast and throw the bums out. And now they think they want civil war. Wonderful. Well, its been a long time since we fought a war on our own soil - those kinds of traumas die hard, but they do apparently die. Its the sort of thing that produces the most poignent "What were we THINKING" moments, well beyond the point of no return.

Here's some of the email texts. Feel free to send them questions & comments about their lunatic beliefs. They deserve it:
    Feh, we're not even anywhere near the level of '70s violent radicalism *though I can see the country getting there in a couple of years, if the economy doesn't turn around*
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

No, wannabe fascism. And that's what comes after the civil conflict.
    I see absolutely nothing in that email that resembles fascism...Hint: the main object of fascism is the glorification of the state.

I see absolutely nothing in that email that resembles fascism...Hint: the main object of fascism is the glorification of the state.
    What do you think obama's fucking up? Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Feh, we're not even anywhere near the level of '70s violent radicalism *though I can see the country getting there in a couple of years, if the economy doesn't turn around*
    Man, you don't know shit about the seventies. Or violent radicalism. Or sunsets and oliphaunts. Sheee-it.
    The Rules

I turned on the TV a little to early last night, ended up catching the tailend of a Fox News broadcast. Besides their usual blurring of facts; they introduced Palin as a former vice president (they forgot the word "candidate"). They mentioned that the hightlight of the speech, and the line with the biggest reaction from the crowd was "You're Fired!".

That speaks volumes for how empty the speech, the audience, and the entire movement is.