Thread: Moon

Default Moon

Just watched this last night. I thought it was great. Anyone see it? Not sure what I can say that won't spoil it. Lets just say it's about a guy running a H3 mining installation on the far side of the moon nearing the end of his 3 year contract term.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I could only see half last night

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Saw this recently, EyeKhan, and thought it was quite excellent. I would really like a lot more of this type of sci-fi movie, and there's plenty of material out there in novels and short stories. I don't need another screwed up I, Robot or The Day the Earth Stood Still

Quote Originally Posted by X900BTA View Post
    Saw this recently, EyeKhan, and thought it was quite excellent. I would really like a lot more of this type of sci-fi movie, and there's plenty of material out there in novels and short stories. I don't need another screwed up I, Robot or The Day the Earth Stood Still
    No kidding. Let's take sci-fi classics and destroy them.
    The Rules

If you're brave enough watch the B version called The Day the Earth Stopped. The cover looks cool. All I remember is there's a naked chic, then retarded army guys, and the hint of robots. Then she's naked again. The end.

At least you rememberd the most important part, the naked chick.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by X900BTA View Post
    If you're brave enough watch the B version called The Day the Earth Stopped. The cover looks cool. All I remember is there's a naked chic, then retarded army guys, and the hint of robots. Then she's naked again. The end.
    Are you talking about the '50s version? There was another remake besides the latest?
    The Rules

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Moon was pretty good, very per-sychological.

Although I was a bit confused by the way Gerty served both Sam and the corporate suits equally without regard to the consequences... there wasn't any programming to prevent Sam from discovering the truth or to deal with him if he does so? Really? It just seemed very strange
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Just watched this last night. I thought it was great. Anyone see it? Not sure what I can say that won't spoil it. Lets just say it's about a guy running a H3 mining installation on the far side of the moon nearing the end of his 3 year contract term.
    It took me a while to see it, as it kept selling out. I rate it very highly, a classic piece of sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum View Post
    Although I was a bit confused by the way Gerty served both Sam and the corporate suits equally without regard to the consequences... there wasn't any programming to prevent Sam from discovering the truth or to deal with him if he does so? Really? It just seemed very strange
    Really? I assumed that someone forgot to put 'gerty must consider consequences' into the spec. That sort of things happens all the time.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Really? I assumed that someone forgot to put 'gerty must consider consequences' into the spec. That sort of things happens all the time.
    Whoever designed Gerty then was clearly not genre savvy or they would've known that eventually something like this would happen and would need to be dealt with. Someone should point the suits towards tvtropes.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum View Post
    Moon was pretty good, very per-sychological.

First, I like that the resident AI wasn't a heartless villain. That's a nice change. Second, Gerty was programmed to help Sam. That programmig came into conflict with his programming to serve the corporation. In the immediate circumstance, it helped Sam. Third, I like to think there's a chance that Gerty felt compassion. And I like that the film sort of left a bit of gray area open for that.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    First, I like that the resident AI wasn't a heartless villain. That's a nice change.
    You don't need to make him a villain, just an obstacle who needs to be convinced to find the loopholes in his programming. We saw part of that with Sam creating an emergency to get outside and it would have been nice if the film has expanded on that a bit further.

Second, Gerty was programmed to help Sam. That programmig came into conflict with his programming to serve the corporation. In the immediate circumstance, it helped Sam.
    Except if you're pulling off a conspiracy like that then Gerty should've been programmed to fall on the corporations side regardless of his feelings for Sam, instead every time Sam came up against a problem Gerty caved in and helped him without putting up much resistance. The only explanation is that Gerty's designer was handling the Idiot Ball at the time, which is certainly possible but unsatifactory.

Third, I like to think there's a chance that Gerty felt compassion. And I like that the film sort of left a bit of gray area open for that.
    I like that too, but compassion alone won't help an AI overcome it's programmed limits, that those limits were apparently lacking is what I have a problem with.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

So here's something I've been wondering about regarding the film:

Spoiler:
    Did the clones die after three years from radiation exposure or from some flaw inherent in being a clone? i.e. they just don't live longer than that. Or maybe are engineered to die... I assumed it was a flaw - they just fall apart. But the radiation exposure would explain a lot - like why they use clones to do this job to begin with...
    The Rules

Spoiler:
    I would assume that the base would have been properly built to withstand radiation or the government would never have signed off on a manned operation, and radiation affects various individuals at different rates, and gradually over time, but in the movie it was like clockwork. For these two reasons I think it was engineered. Also, they couldn't risk a clone somehow not dying on time when another clone is about to be brought on line, or wondering where the ship is, or other stuff. Definitely would need the timing to be spot on.

Spoiler:
    I agree. Probably the clones didn't make good slaves who would be stuck on the moon forever. They'd go bonkers, so they had to have the 3 year contract to give them a light at the end of their tunnel. But they had to be disposed after the contract because you couldn't send them home and they wouldn't make good workers anymore. That last part presumes the clones working the base was illegal and needed to be kept secret. Which explains the guys with guns...
    The Rules

Have you watched the anime "Planetes"?
    It is quite realistic when flying missions.
    It mentions Helium 3 mining on the moon...

Have you used Orbiter to go to the moon?
    http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    Have you watched the anime "Planetes"?
    It is quite realistic when flying missions.
    It mentions Helium 3 mining on the moon...

Have you used Orbiter to go to the moon?
    http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
    No and No. I take it you haven't seen Moon?
    The Rules