Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Trolling?

Default What is Trolling?

That word gets bandied about a lot, especially during passionate or heated discussions.

I suppose some might say I'm trolling, what with my posting style, and I ask so many questions. Or make bad polls. Fuzzy called it manipulating the forum environment, but that applies to anyone who posts, regardless of intention.

So what do you think is Trolling?

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Generally I view trolling as making inflammatory posts or antagonising other members while contributing nothing towards the discussion at hand, or otherwise complaining about irrelevant topics such as tone or content.

Others might view refusing to learn from previous arguments as trolling, I view that as just people being stupid (some people view the two as being synoymous)
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum View Post
    Generally I view trolling as making inflammatory posts or antagonising other members while contributing nothing towards the discussion at hand, or otherwise complaining about irrelevant topics such as tone or content.

Others might view refusing to learn from previous arguments as trolling, I view that as just people being stupid (some people view the two as being synoymous)
    Would you view someone calling someone else a troll as a troll if they did that to deflect the argument raised by the person they labeled a troll?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Hard to put an exact definition on but: Making posts you don't necessarily believe with the express purpose of inflaming opinions and causing fights.

You're an idiot Rand, and TV can suck on my left nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    You're an idiot Rand, and TV can suck on my left nut.
    Your pick-up line needs a bit of work.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Lolli, are you saying that trolling is the same as cruising?
    Congratulations America

Yep, Hazir.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post

Love it!!! Fucker.
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    It got you thinking though, didn't it.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Lolli and I have this awesome relationship... we both dislike each other's political idealologies..... but we get along in real life.

And in real life, Lolli has had my sausage in her mouth!!! (we need to do another concert soon Lolli)

Lolli and I have this awesome relationship... we both dislike each other's political idealologies..... but we get along in real life.

And in real life, Lolli has had my sausage in her mouth!!! (we need to do another concert soon Lolli)
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

That word gets bandied about a lot, especially during passionate or heated discussions.

I suppose some might say I'm trolling, what with my posting style, and I ask so many questions. Or make bad polls. Fuzzy called it manipulating the forum environment, but that applies to anyone who posts, regardless of intention.

Just look at Being's posts to see what it means. It's basically saying things that you don't believe in just to elicit a strong reaction from people.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Just look at Being's posts to see what it means. It's basically saying things that you don't believe in just to elicit a strong reaction from people.
    You have to not believe in them yourself?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    You have to not believe in them yourself?
    Yes. Saying things that are stupid or extremist is not trolling if you actually believe it.

I extend trolling to include a posting style. Even if you believe something, posting it in a extremely negative way, and repeatedly, is trolling.

Calling Lewk a dumbass, no matter how true, everytime he posts, is trolling. Dread even called it as much.
    4chan is another example.

Loki's crazy left field responses after I post in a political thread usually tiptoe the line as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I extend trolling to include a psoting style. Even if you believe something, posting it in a negative way, and repeatedly is trolling.

psoting style.... makes me wanna think of psionics.

Calling Lewk a dumbass, no matter how true, everytime he posts, is trolling. Dread even called it as much.
    4chan is another example.
    No, that's flaming.

Loki's crazy left field responses after I post in a political thread usually tiptoe the line as well.
    I.E. Anyone who disagrees with your paranoia is a troll.

I fixed it damnit
    Well, then I quoted for posterity!

No, that's flaming.
    No, flaming would be getting into an argument that gets out of hand. Trolling is posting specifically to derail or distract from a point, for argument's sake (when already in a thread), especially when done at a constant pace. A troll harasses. Something you're famous for when you jackknife the political threads.

Yes. Saying things that are stupid or extremist is not trolling if you actually believe it.
    But what if you're saying in an off topic context or strictly because you know it will piss someone off?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    But what if you're saying in an off topic context or strictly because you know it will piss someone off?
    If it's off-topic, then yes, I'd classify it as trolling.

An atheist saying there is no God is not trolling in a religious discussion.

An atheist joining a Christian-only forum to say the truth to those poor blind sheep could be trolling though

Is meta-discussion trolling?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I would have to say trolling would be acting in a manner specifically to enrage/anger people without any other end product and/or derail productive discussion.

For instance, you can post something to try and get people angry, in the hopes that they will go on to do something positive or productive because of that anger...or you can post something to try and get people angry because you find their anger amusing, or because you want to derail the topic because you either don't like it or find the derailing amusing.

I'd have to say to OG though that Lewk seems to fall between these two states. He isn't attempting or accomplishing anything productive with his posts, but he certainly isn't amused when we get pissed off. He could go either way.
    . . .

You were trying to make others contribute, without contributing yourself. You were trying to force content-generation, and were trying to get others to do it rather than doing it yourself. Deliberate manipulation. But not really trolling, though a troll will might do things the same way. Your goal was content, a troll is just trying to cause trouble or get a rise out of people.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

So is Ogre trolling here? It's not harassing or angry....but totally off topic and what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I'd have to say to OG though that Lewk seems to fall between these two states. He isn't attempting or accomplishing anything productive with his posts, but he certainly isn't amused when we get pissed off. He could go either way.
    Lewk seems to fit best into astroturfing. Thats one of the few ways to explain his narrow posting habits of regurgitating a link but being unable or unwilling to defend it.

but if someone was to say "Lewk you're a dumbass" every time he posted one of his articles... thats trolling.

It is something Lolli and I shared together.... and she didn't literally have my manhood in her mouth, she simply ingested some hotdogs and bratwurst I was grilling on the grill at a concert.