Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does our civilisation really need money?

'Does our society really need money'

Another flawed question, Minx. Yes, 'our civilisation' requires money because it is defined by it. How could our bodies function without blood?

A different question could be, 'what other types of modern civilisation could prosper without money'?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    How do you make these people be productive member's of society. I take offense to the notion that you forcibly take the belongings of others who have earned them and give them to those who have not. Which is exactly what you are purposing. You are purposing we take a gun to the heads of the people who are working and force them to set aside some of their resources and pay for other's who are not working.
    I take delight in your offence

Did you know I am taxed, too? And yet I don't think I've seen a gun more than two or three times in my life.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post

Did you know I am taxed, too? And yet I don't think I've seen a gun more than two or three times in my life.
    How much time do you spend outside of what counts for urban centers in mostly-empty Finland again?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    How much time do you spend outside of what counts for urban centers in mostly-empty Finland again?
    Well I spent the first 18 years of my life in a very small (even by Finnish standards) rural village, so...The majority of my life-time, at any rate?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Try not paying taxes and see what happens.

Try not paying taxes and see what happens.
    It would be pretty hard given that it'd involve seducing the division secretary

Though she is pretty smokin'...

And bear in mind that this is liberalsliberalsliberalsliberalsliberalsliberalsli beralsliberals-Finland, what exactly do you think we do to criminals here?

It would be pretty hard given that it'd involve seducing the division secretary

Though she is pretty smokin'...

And bear in mind that this is liberalsliberalsliberalsliberalsliberalsliberalsli beralsliberals-Finland, what exactly do you think we do to criminals here?
    Well lets find out. Stop paying your taxes and tell us what happens.

Well lets find out. Stop paying your taxes and tell us what happens.
    I took the time, effort and hard work to learn your language, maybe you could pay the courtesy back by reading what I write to you?

I took the time, effort and hard work to learn your language, maybe you could pay the courtesy back by reading what I write to you?
    You want a pat on the back for learning the most important language in the world?

I took the time, effort and hard work to learn your language
    You don't speak Texan.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

You want a pat on the back for learning the most important language in the world?
    You mean the one you refuse to learn? No pat on the back for you than...
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

She wants you to show that you can read and understand a post written inyour own goddamned language. Jesus
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I think a punch in the face would be a more apt analogy here.

Gods Lewk...why do you always ruin a good point by stepping onto these landmines?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Gods Lewk...why do you always ruin a good point by stepping onto these landmines?
    For all the difference it would have made, why not? We've been down this whole government-and-physical-force road with Nessus a lot, and it always ends the same way. May as well be trying to teach calculus to a cat.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

After reading this whole mess, and looking back at what minx was asking.....I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this isn't about money per se, or bartering services, but a fundamental question about credit.

Too many governments, institutions, industries, and individuals have come to think of "credit" in the same terms of cash transactions. Why not? That's the way "money" has been treated the last couple of decades. Credit isn't debt, and debt can be profitable. Just move it forward....to make IOUs look better than they are:

Use your credit card to earn cash rewards.
    Buy a home with a mortgage loan to get big tax breaks.
    Educational debt will pay for itself in future employment earnings.

These are the same things our government does with our money (taxes), but uses the rewards/breaks/earnings long before getting their actual "cash money". If we did this as individuals, we'd be prosecuted for theft, fraud or passing bad checks, and thrown in jail. When corporations do this, they can use fuzzy accounting to plump their valuations and get more shareholders. When governments do this, they 'throw the can down the road', and expect to be taken seriously when deficit spending exceeds GDP and revenue....

It's not about money so much as monetary and fiscal policy. Currency valuations that change by the minute, debts and credits based far in the future, as well as decades-old IOUs. The political definitions of money, as decided by politicians, has become so complicated that most tax payers and voters are protesting. Finally.