Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you like to abandon the Gregorian calendar for a better alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    This brings up something else - if we're switching to GMT, we should probably also switch to a 24 hour clock to prevent confusion when people leave off the "PM" or "AM".
    You should have done that long ago, I really don't know why English speakers don't have 24hours clocks, you even save space on your digital display.

"Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    I really don't know why English speakers don't have 24hours clocks[/IMG]
    Um, what?
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    You should have done that long ago, I really don't know why English speakers don't have 24hours clocks, you even save space on your digital display.
    You just posted a picture of a clock with English words written on it with a 24 hour display...
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    You just posted a picture of a clock with English words written on it with a 24 hour display...
    Many products here don't have German words but in English written on it. It's from a German webpage.

What I meant, it that it suprises me that 24h is not the standard:

am/pm simply don't exist in German speaking countries.

P.S.:
    Time
    The 24-hour clock enjoys broad everyday usage in most countries outside North America, Australia and the Philippines, at least when time is written or displayed. In some regions, for example most German, French and Romanian speakers, use the 24-hour clock today even when speaking casually, while in other countries the 12-hour clock is used more often in spoken form.
    In other English-speaking regions, particularly former colonies of the United Kingdom, the 12-hour clock and 24-hour are used interchangeably in formal communications.
    Most people in "24-hour countries" are so used to both systems that they have no problem switching between the two, perceiving "three o'clock" and "15:00" simply as synonyms. When speaking, a person may often pronounce time in 12-hour notation, even when reading a 24-hour display. It is also common that a person uses the 24-hour clock in spoken language when referring to an exact point in time ("The train leaves at fourteen forty-five …"), while using some variant of the 12-hour notation to refer vaguely to a time ("… so I will be back tonight sometime after five.").
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_an...ion_by_country

The Latin abbreviations a.m. and p.m. (often written "am" and "pm", "AM" and "PM", or "A.M." and "P.M.") are used in English and Spanish.[7] The equivalents in Greek are π.µ. and µ.µ., respectively.
    Most other languages lack formal abbreviations for "before noon" and "after noon", and their users use the 12-hour clock only orally and informally.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_notation

If there's a chance of confusion I write 17:00 and not 5PM normally. If there's little chance of confusion, I'd say 5.