Thread: One vegetarian day per week

Default One vegetarian day per week

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Not a chance, their laziness and lack of thoroughness aggravates me. They talk about saving resources but all their numbers are derived by simply subtracting the cost of producing the meat and they made no effort to factor back in the lesser costs from producing the foodstuffs we'd be replacing the meat with.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Not a chance, their laziness and lack of thoroughness aggravates me. They talk about saving resources but all their numbers are derived by simply subtracting the cost of producing the meat and they made no effort to factor back in the lesser costs from producing the foodstuffs we'd be replacing the meat with.
    Hmmm would the idea have been more appealing if the aggravating link had not been provided?

Sure, if you can explain why being a vegetarian is better than including meat in my diet, in a manner that is objectively and factually based.
    . . .

How about everyone hunts for their own animal to eat once a week? Think of how much energy is saved by obtaining local food.
    Hope is the denial of reality

well now that would just be absurdly extreme. Don't be crazy

Why? Is the goal to save resources or to do things hippies like?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Why? Is the goal to save resources or to do things hippies like?
    So what you're saying is that we should approach every post here as if the poster is expressing the most extreme version possible (parody) of their views? think carefully, bearing in mind the spankings you routinely get for your pathological need to Strawman, abuse the slippery slope fallacy, etc.

Why is it extreme? If the goal is to minimize resource usage, then getting local food is by far the best way of obtaining food. And killing game takes far less energy than growing food. So again, is the purpose to minimize resource usage or to kill fewer animals? The two are not the same.

maybe the goal is to REDUCE resource usage in a way that is conceivably acceptable to most people who aren't of the type that frequent tWF

of course I live in a place where hunting is fairly common but let's face it most of us are city slickers and there isn't much wood to go around

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    of course I live in a place where hunting is fairly common but let's face it most of us are city slickers and there isn't much wood to go around
    Ok, why not have have everyone keep some chickens in their backyards (if they have one) and eat them once a week?

I usually go a day or two each week without meat. But I think that can be chalked up to laziness.
    Your search had no results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    I usually go a couple days a week without meat. But I think that can be chalked up to laziness.
    I don't think I've gone two meals without meat in weeks. I tend to eat meat twice a day.

Ok, why not have have everyone keep some chickens in their backyards (if they have one) and eat them once a week?
    Would you do it?

If I was a hippie who thought the world was about to run out of resources and that it was my job to stop this, then sure, why not? If I had a vegetarian/vegan agenda and was coming up with excuses to get people to eat less meat, probably not though.

If I was a hippie who thought the world was about to run out of resources and that it was my job to stop this, then sure, why not? If I had a vegetarian/vegan agenda and was coming up with excuses to get people to eat less meat, probably not though.
    To answer your question, it's easier and more appealing to just eat a few vegetarian meals per week than to get, raise and keep chickens. Which is why the former is easier to sell. While it may be in your interest to have people you dislike take difficult and unappealing approaches to furthering their agenda, it's not really in their interest. This is why, whenever you come into a discussion to smugly ask, “Well why don't we just do stupid thing x then??” you are inevitably met with scornful replies like, “Because that would be fricking stupid.”

I get it Loki, you like your meat, and you dislike vegetables and women. But do you have to be so cantankerous?

Why is it extreme? If the goal is to minimize resource usage, then getting local food is by far the best way of obtaining food. And killing game takes far less energy than growing food. So again, is the purpose to minimize resource usage or to kill fewer animals? The two are not the same.
    You're being silly. First of all, killing game for the entire population will probably lead to extinction of said animals, so the purpose is presumably reducing resource usage and not exhausting any.

More importantly, it's possible to get a decent number people to eat vegetarian once a week, if you ask too much, people will say 'fuck that shit' and you won't have any improvement. So if the goal is to minimize resource usage, the simplest way to get a significant effect is by getting a lot of people do a little. Because, let's face it, hardly anyone is willing to give up too much comfort (if any).

Anyway, I happened to have eaten vegetarian today (quite delicious, too!), and trying to get a date with a vegetarian girl, so if that goes well I might be eating vegetarian one day (or more) per week.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

forever

think about it

For the safety of those around me, I must eat meat once a day so it's a no go for me. Sorry. I guess I could handle it if I ate beans for two meals to offset the lovely delicious proteins, but then I'd be sleeping alone.

EDIT: Hmm, it may be possible as long as I could consume eggs for every meal too.

Okay, this is a stupid thread. Facts:

1) Eating meat is demonstrably much more inefficient than eating vegetables. This is a well known fact of the food chain - the higher up you go, the more energy is wasted. Roughly only 10% of the energy a cow eats gets to the meat that we eat; if we take out the middle man (even accounting for the fact that cows can sometimes eat things we wouldn't), there's huge savings. This is not debatable. Meat consumption is a huge waste of arable land, available food 'energy', and it pretty bad for the environment to boot (I'm looking at you, pigs).

This isn't to say everyone should become a vegetarian, but it does mean we shouldn't consume meat without some understanding of the costs.

2) Local food is not always the best allocation of resources. The added energy needed to make, say, avocados grow in Massachusetts (not to mention the cost of paying farmers first world wages, they higher wasteful consumption, potentially dirtier energy sources, etc.) is easily offset by the costs of transporting said avocados from somewhere else. This isn't always the case - pretty much every set of locations and foods is unique - but often it's true that the whole 'local food' thing is a crock.

Onto the OP, I pretty much eat only one or two meat meals a week and don't really notice it. Meat is just expensive and often unhealthy (not to mention all of the negative externalities associated with it), so I rarely eat it unless it's truly spectacular.

I do like a good vegetarian, but I doubt I could eat a whole one...
    Such is Life...

Local and in season. A lot more honest than this whole 'ecological/part-time vegetarian' sham that's going on.

FYI I have not eaten meat of any kind in 35 years, not out of principle but because I think it is disgusting.
    Congratulations America

That has to be one of the most intellectually dishonest sites I have ever seen.
    Animal Welfare
    Save a few of the over 10 billion animals slaughtered for food – This is how many land animals are killed each year in the US alone. The majority of these animals have no laws to protect them from abuse and cruelty. They spend their entire lives suffering in inhumane conditions and mistreatment. (5)
    That could only have been written by someone who is a full-on vegetarian and not someone who believes meat is cool to have six days a week, just don't have it seven.