10 50.00%
  • No

10 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesus.

Post Jesus.

I think he is a lie, what do you think?

Default Re: Jesus.

do think that thee was a man who came to be known as Jesus yes. So that part is not a lie. Do I believe he was divine incarnation of some intangible force ( god if you wish), no. But that is not a lie, it is a misconception. So, still no.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

If Jesus were alive today he would be on Lithium in a nut-house somewhere.
    Such is Life...

There are millions of people named Jesus. Which one you talking about?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Probing questions like that. Phew. I think we have the next Parkinson. Right here on our own forum .
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

At this point it's 50/50 in the poll (4 votes in), interesting.

The historical Jesus was almost certainly a real person. Maybe he was a revolutionary against the Roman occupation and the severe social stratification and inequities of the time and that was why he was executed. But that's all. The claim that Jesus rose from the dead was a lie - probably started by certain early Christians, before they were even called Chrisitians, in order to bring hope and strength to the movement. But today, when a priest in Church claimes Jesus was the Son of God and rose from the dead, I'm not so sure its fair to say he's lying. He ought to know better, but this set of memes is very old and very powerful, so. But originally way back in the beginning, someone lied.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Like I said, it's a misconception that jesus was the incarnation of some intangilble force, who worked miracles.

There is evidence that Jesus Christ as a person did exist, but I don't think he did everything he is believed to have done.

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner
    Like I said, it's a misconception that jesus was the incarnation of some intangilble force, who worked miracles.
    But a misconception is a far cry from a lie. No? And the OP wants to know about lies.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan
    The claim that Jesus rose from the dead was a lie - probably started by certain early Christians, before they were even called Chrisitians, in order to bring hope and strength to the movement.
    Or maybe a misconception if the grave was robbed. After all, wouldn't the martyr for a movement be buried with some sweet swag?
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Jesus could have been reborn and WAS reborn. How? Puppet strings and ventriloquisim
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

But a misconception is a far cry from a lie. No? And the OP wants to know about lies.
    But there are people who go around preaching about this guy. They knock on your door and tell you things. They might just be "misconceived" but a lot of the time they do lie to your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum
    The claim that Jesus rose from the dead was a lie - probably started by certain early Christians, before they were even called Chrisitians, in order to bring hope and strength to the movement.
    Or maybe a misconception if the grave was robbed. After all, wouldn't the martyr for a movement be buried with some sweet swag?
    Jesus almost certainly was eaten off the cross by feral dogs and carrion birds, like every other criminal of the time. There was no burial. The only gospel that mentions it was the last to be written and the one that embellishes the most (John, if I'm not mistaken). No, that was just wishful thinking on the part of the author who wanted to impart more dignity on Jesus' death than it warranted. There's a lie if you're really looking for one.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by aoshi
    But there are people who go around preaching about this guy. They knock on your door and tell you things. They might just be "misconceived" but a lot of the time they do lie to your face.
    But they're not lying about Jesus, per se. They really think, or really really want to believe, that this dude was the son of God. Now, if they lie about other things, like how their church works and so on so they can get their manipulative hooks in you, that's something else entirely. But it isn't hte same as "Jesus is a lie."
    The Rules

( read second post)
    edit: just saw new smilies as i was posting this

( read second post)
    edit: just saw new smilies as i was posting this
    Ok. But I still thing there was a lie way back when. A lie about Jesus returning from the dead, about miracles being performed. People lied and it grew into a world straddling cultural monstrosity.
    The Rules

In pre-school we played a game called 'Telephone'. The first person would whisper something in the ear of the second person. The second person would then repeat this (whispering of course) into the third persons ear, etc... I beleive we've all played at one point in our lives. By the time the phrase had been passed to the end of the line there were many changes to the wording, sometimes to the degree of altering the meaning of the original phrase. simply put, the myths of jesus' accomplishments have been embellished through retelling of the stories.

In pre-school we played a game called 'Telephone'. The first person would whisper something in the ear of the second person. The second person would then repeat this (whispering of course) into the third persons ear, etc... I beleive we've all played at one point in our lives. By the time the phrase had been passed to the end of the line there were many changes to the wording, sometimes to the degree of altering the meaning of the original phrase. simply put, the myths of jesus' accomplishments have been embellished through retelling of the stories.
    Jesus as miracle toting, death defying, compassionate son of mad frackin' god was no accident of poor communication.
    The Rules

Jesus as miracle toting, death defying, compassionate son of mad frackin' god was no accident of poor communication.
    Hope played its part as well. See Loki's sig. for clarification on that point.

Jesus almost certainly was eaten off the cross by feral dogs and carrion birds, like every other criminal of the time. There was no burial.
    Ah? Okay, I wasn't aware of that part of crucifiction although it makes perfect sense in hindsight, if you're nailing 'em up why bother taking them down afterwards? let 'em serve as an example.

A shame it didn't work really.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Ah? Okay, I wasn't aware of that part of crucifiction although it makes perfect sense in hindsight, if you're nailing 'em up why bother taking them down afterwards? let 'em serve as an example.

By example you mean "Horibble warning", right?

yes? can a rotting corpse nailed to a cross be taken another way?
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Just being clear, here. Thats how I would certainly take it.

yes? can a rotting corpse nailed to a cross be taken another way?
    It can be taken as a purging of sins, apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky
    It can be taken as a purging of sins, apparently...
    And also as an appropriate symbol for everybody to wear.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Jesus almost certainly was eaten off the cross by feral dogs and carrion birds, like every other criminal of the time. There was no burial. The only gospel that mentions it was the last to be written and the one that embellishes the most (John, if I'm not mistaken). No, that was just wishful thinking on the part of the author who wanted to impart more dignity on Jesus' death than it warranted. There's a lie if you're really looking for one.
    Sorry, what? The burial is mentioned in all the gospels.

The scholarly consensus is that Jesus was in fact buried. Even John Dominic Crossan, who I'm assuming you've taken your information from, asserts the possibility that he was buried and admits that there exists historical evidence that some crucified people were buried.

The poll choices are too black and white. We need some shades of grey here!

Jesus almost certainly was eaten off the cross by feral dogs and carrion birds, like every other criminal of the time. There was no burial.

The Romans insisted on it. Family were not allowed to take the bodies down. It was a form of desecration, something the locals probably feared as much as death on the cross itself.
    The Rules