Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capitalopoly

I've reset yours too...

Edit:

Added new tooltips for all the building icons in the build menu. This should make it easier to see what each building produces and requires.
    Last edited by agamemnus; 01-31-2012 at 05:17 AM.

I've realized that you can't start the above production chain at full 100% production with only $20,000. I've set everyone's cash to $30,000 now and play-tested it.. You should even be able to make money with $25,000, but the $5000 buffer assures it.

I have also added some sound effects.

I'm not sure why you guys are insisting on going bankrupt constantly.

Residential buildings do nothing! Stop building them. :P

I noticed everyone quit playing and most people registered but didn't even start.

Game not addictive enough or...?

Honestly, I wanted to try it but I spent more time last week on an iDevice than on my Laptop so being unable to get it working with that I never really started.

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Residential buildings do nothing! Stop building them. :P
    Make the option unavailable. This was like when I discovered in a game my friends built that I could purchase negative combat units (because they never set a limit on the input). This would then result in the game deducting the cost of a negative unit (Total Money - Number of Units * Cost of Units). So if I had 1000 Credits, and bought -10 Starfighters at 20 Credits a piece ( 1000C - -10*20), I would end up with 1200 Credits. Of course, then I could attack someone with my negative combat units. They would of course lose, since their total power was based on an attack rating times the number of units, compared with the same value your opponent had, but then the total units lost would be deducted from negative units...

...meaning that if I started combat with -10 Starfighters, and lost all of them in a round, I would then have -20 Starfighters for the next. So because I would always lose, all of my negative units, at first turn if I attacked with -5000, the next I would have -10k, then -20k. This wouldn't have mattered much if it wasn't for the fact that in early development we had tactics implemented. Which meant that if I chose suicidal tactics, a check would be included in battle such that my units would never leave combat and return home until their numbers reached exactly zero. It would also include a feature where some of my units would sacrifice themselves to take out one other similar unit. Basically what this comes down to is that since the game let me order negative units I could have:

1 - A Fleet bound in size only by the variable they were using to store it.
    2 - A Fleet that if it exceeded this variable limit would crash the game.
    3 - A Fleet that grew in size like a hydra through losses, which it was always guaranteed to have.
    4 - A Fleet that could deadlock a location into being unusable, because it would never leave, and eventually kamikaze any other unit produced.

Their initial solution was to just tell players not to order negative units.

TL;DR - Lesson: Don't let your players do what they shouldn't be capable of doing. If they can, fix it so they can't, don't just tell them not to.
    . . .

Yeah, good point, but I'm about to make them do something (hopefully this week), so disabling them is just a waste of time... (still a lot of buildings that do nothing though) I would constantly be trimming the rough edges every second if I had the resources, but I'm only one person... so far.

BTW, beyond a boatload of bug fixes, here a few visible improvements:

* Game should now work in IE.
    * Added some new graphics and sounds. (not finished yet..)
    * Added an income history graph and an inventory history graph in "Company Stats".
    * Added more tooltips. You can now see what each building produces immediately upon mousing over its build icon, for instance.
    * In World Stats, you can see a corporation's cash amount.
    Last edited by agamemnus; 02-08-2012 at 01:36 AM.