View Poll Results: Whut do you do?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn it in - 10% chance of staff honesty isn't bad.

3 75.00%
  • Keep it- She's blown through 5 Kindles and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it back to her.

1 25.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finder's Keepers?

Look man if they'd turned the TV:s in to the stores there's like a 90% chance the stores woulda kept 'em
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

yeah its totally cool

ps i was rummaging around your stuff before and i found like 300 euros cash i was gonna turn it in to the building staff but they just would've like stolen it so i just decided to keep it anyone know the £ / € exchange rate y/n
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I would not turn it in for a 10% chance of it getting to the right place btw. Definitely return it, and explore options for doing so, if possible. sorry you can't get one for free.

Edit: How about this: You instead turn in a note to the front desk saying you have found a Kindle, and that if someone has lost one there, if they can give you a call, and desribe it accurately, you'll personally return it to them.

Not really sure how the policy works at the gym. It's just another option to try after you've spent time exhuasting others.

Have you actually read this thread?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Dread doesn't deserve it because he's a thief, the gym staff don't deserve it because they're scum, and the original owner doesn't deserve it because he or she is careless, and because nobody can get a proper workout at the gym AND read at the same fucking time.

So I say the only option is you stamp on it until it's a fine powder, then set fire to it.
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk View Post
    Dread doesn't deserve it because he's a thief, the gym staff don't deserve it because they're scum
    The only person who is relaying the fact that the gym staff might keep the Kindle instead of returning it to its owner is the guy who did keep the Kindle, and hasn't returned it to its owner. While I understand that it would be logically fallacious to claim that this means that the gym staff would not keep the Kindle for themselves, it does seem to follow that if a copy of Dreadnaught was on staff at the gym, that our Dreadnaught wouldn't turn in a lost Kindle to his doppelganger...because the doppelganger would keep it.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    The only person who is relaying the fact that the gym staff might keep the Kindle instead of returning it to its owner is the guy who did keep the Kindle, and hasn't returned it to its owner. While I understand that it would be logically fallacious to claim that this means that the gym staff would not keep the Kindle for themselves, it does seem to follow that if a copy of Dreadnaught was on staff at the gym, that our Dreadnaught wouldn't turn in a lost Kindle to his doppelganger...because the doppelganger would keep it.
    My whole post was satirical, lovey.
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Just to show you that sometimes the staff is honest; after 4 days I got an email today that my iPad had been located and that I could pick it up at the luggage depot at Schiphol airport.
    Congratulations America

You go to Dread's gym?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Just to show you that sometimes the staff is honest; after 4 days I got an email today that my iPad had been located and that I could pick it up at the luggage depot at Schiphol airport.
    And bear in mind that airport staff are not happy people

Whadda bunch of self-righteous shit.

Keep it. Or track down the owner and extract a finder's fee for returning it. Hell, if she's cute, maybe you get some sex instead of a Kindle you don't want. Approach the situation really well, and maybe it's even consensual sex.

In any event, this whole shit about the finder having an obligation to do work for free to track down the owner is just shit. Dread does something for Mindy by going through the effort to return her device, Mindy should do something for Dread to compensate him for his time and effort.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Not file charges?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    In any event, this whole shit about the finder having an obligation to do work for free to track down the owner is just shit.
    Maybe she's having increased difficulty in finding it because Dreadnaught took it, and I guess is keeping it, instead of leaving it where it was.

Its also been 12 days. I wonder what the resolution to this issue has been.
    . . .

In any event, this whole shit about the finder having an obligation to do work for free to track down the owner is just shit. Dread does something for Mindy by going through the effort to return her device, Mindy should do something for Dread to compensate him for his time and effort.
    No one forced him to pick the thing up. If you don't want to go through the trouble of tracking down the proper owner just leave it where it is.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    No one forced him to pick the thing up. If you don't want to go through the trouble of tracking down the proper owner just leave it where it is.
    Actually, I personally think there is a moral obligation for someone who finds a lost item to return it - not just to return it OR leave it. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Actually, I personally think there is a moral obligation for someone who finds a lost item to return it - not just to return it OR leave it. But that's just me.
    Most of the time there's no way you can find out who to return it to. Best thing you can do is leave it in the last place the owner knew they had it.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Most of the time there's no way you can find out who to return it to. Best thing you can do is leave it in the last place the owner knew they had it.
    Or at least post a flyer or something in the last place they left it with contact information to get it back if you feel the need to move it.

Still wondering what Dreadnaught's done with it since he last posted...
    . . .

Probably in jail.

Meh. If someone's going to get a free Kindle, it may as well be me, rather than the next asshole who wanders by.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Meh. If someone's going to get a free Kindle, it may as well be me, rather than the next asshole who wanders by.
    I agree! I hate to sound opportunistic or whatever but if someone can't keep something as expensive as a Kindle in their possession, then it's mine to walk away with! I pay hard earned cash for toys like a Kindle, so I can safely say I keep them where I know where they are at!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    I pay hard earned cash for toys like a Kindle
    No you don't you find them at the gym unless you count the membership fee I suppose

Some dude was recently seen taking a $6,500 Rolex watch from the airport bins, while waiting for his own stuff. The owner of the watch didn't notice it was missing until flight departure. Now the dude's face is being broadcast over social media to retrieve the watch.

Made me wonder if Dread's gym has security cameras that could be mined....

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    No you don't you find them at the gym unless you count the membership fee I suppose
    Unfortunately for me, I do not belong to Dread's gym!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Some dude was recently seen taking a $6,500 Rolex watch from the airport bins, while waiting for his own stuff. The owner of the watch didn't notice it was missing until flight departure. Now the dude's face is being broadcast over social media to retrieve the watch.

Made me wonder if Dread's gym has security cameras that could be mined....
    Curious question? Who the fuck needs a $6,500 watch? And why the hell didn't this idiot realize it was gone sooner?
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

It's really silly that people are actively comparing me to a thief for removing it from a somewhat thief-prone gym and trying my best to find the original owner.

And maybe I do have slightly less understanding of how this person would lose this, five times no less! I tend not to lose things. And I tend not to have expensive things, so this isn't a device I would really own/bring to a gym in the first place. Nonetheless, I didn't know contacting Amazon was an option until I came here. So thank you for that information, it's no longer my problem.

It's really silly pointing out the obvious that people are actively comparing me to a thief for removing it from a somewhat thief-prone gym and trying my best to find the original owner seriously considering just keeping it.
    Fixed that for you.

If you sent it off to amazon then there's no issue... but that's not why you started the thread now is it?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yeah, bullshit. Make sure the saddle is properly tied onto your horse. It's a long fall if you slip.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    Curious question? Who the fuck needs a $6,500 watch? And why the hell didn't this idiot realize it was gone sooner?
    That's a pretty standard price for Rolex. And why do you need it: Status symbol, or something like jewelry.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It's really silly that people are actively comparing me to a thief for removing it from a somewhat thief-prone gym and trying my best to find the original owner.
    Like Steely said, its mainly because one of your options was keeping it (out of two originally presented options).

And maybe I do have slightly less understanding of how this person would lose this, five times no less!
    Doesn't matter if its their 1000th Kindle.

I tend not to lose things.
    Congratulations, I wasn't aware this made it acceptable to take people's stuff and not return it.

And I tend not to have expensive things, so this isn't a device I would really own/bring to a gym in the first place.
    Its an item that is designed to be brought places...

Nonetheless, I didn't know contacting Amazon was an option until I came here. So thank you for that information, it's no longer my problem.
    Yay, resolution. Glad we expanded your options from either keeping it or turning it in to the gym staff, to possibly trying to figure out a way to return it on your own, or contacting Amazon to see if they can return it.

Yeah, bullshit. Make sure the saddle is properly tied onto your horse. It's a long fall if you slip.
    Not following one's own statement does not negate the value of said statement.
    . . .

Dreadnaught, right, you openly talked about keeping the damn kindle in the opening post. The poll option for that is at the top of the page. You can't pretend all you ever wanted was to keep her Kindle out of the hands of thieving gym staff.

PS, "people who think stealing is wrong = high horse" < major lol

PPS "people who think stealing is wrong = high horse" whilst simultaneously portraying the gym staff as thieving scumbags for doing exactly the same thing you were going to do even more major lol

PPPS,

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    Of course the technology can/should/will change, no one is denying that. But I think that's a rather shallow excuse. You can legally download or stream stuff digitally now, yet it seems you still pirate movies. I just don't understand how you can justify it. It seems you just don't like spending the money.
    <stoner voice>yeah you just gotta get off your high horse and chillax mang, you're so, like, uptight and stuff</stoner voice>... or maybe it's only wrong to take stuff without paying for it when it's someone other than you doing it?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come