Thread: Petty Peeves

Default Petty Peeves

1) Speech patterns. It's hard for me to listen to what politicians say, when I hear their quirks.

I was listening to Romney speak at CPAC, and his habit of sucking his teeth (how's that typed--as a "tsk"?) before every other sentence or so is driving me nuts. It seems to have gotten worse lately, or maybe just more noticeable when he's under pressure. Especially hard to listen when it's guys like Barney Frank or Jesse Jackson who seem to have true speech pathologies (lisps or palate problems). Heavy southern accents and draawwls (Haley Barber, James Carville) and mispronouncing words nuke-u-lar, aks included. I could go on, but that's the gist.

Yeah, yeah, it's petty and bitchy, but it's honest. I'm guessing others have pet peeves, too. What's yours?

Old women
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Brits
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Hi, this is the top/bottom of a staircase, escalator, doorway, or narrow corridor, and its the perfect place for me to hold a conversation, stop and collect my thoughts, move as slowly as possible, block with my body or crap I'm carrying.
    . . .

Agree with illusions

My biggest one is shopping carts. Seriously, there's a fucking cart return three car spaces over, walk your fat ass over to it and put away your goddamn cart! Don't leave it in the road/slam it into another car/try giving it a push so it ends up going across traffic (yes I had to slam on brakes once because a fucktard gave a cart a shove and it went across the lane and hit the side of the building). If I could return a cart when 9 months preggo, or with a wriggly 20 month old, so can any other able bodied braindead moron.

Related to that pet peeve, why are there no cart returns close to the handicapped parking? Do you think the infirm are going to walk their carts back to the store, even if it is only 20 feet away? NO, they are going to leave it in the road, or shove it into traffic like the scenario described above.

Also, I dislike people who don't hold open doors for those behind them, regardless of gender or age. Don't be a douche and slip through a door; you see my coming with a stroller, open the door! I always hold doors open for people no matter their age/gender. It's just a nice thing to do. Middle aged men and senior women are the worst about this! I've actually had kids as young as 6 hold a door for me and it warmed my heart.

I have many many more, but those are the two big ones. Big enough that given the level of irritation, I've confronted people on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    /try giving it a push so it ends up going across traffic (yes I had to slam on brakes once because a fucktard gave a cart a shove and it went across the lane and hit the side of the building).
    The US is Africa in more ways than one, it seems!

I mean

Also with Illusions
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

On second thought, I'm sorry, that's unfair to Africa Damn you Rick!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I think humans in general are idiots, who seem to go out of their way to do something they think is "easier" when in reality just doing things the right way would have saved time and effort. I don't know what the woman was thinking; she wasn't the *technically* handicapped one, her passenger was. Why she thought sending a cart careening towards the building, nowhere near the actual doors, would make it magically find it's way back to the cart return? And couldn't see my red SUV driving down the parking lot's road? Humans are pretty distasteful in the area I live in. I'm still here too, so I guess it says a lot about my character

"The only time I use those blinky lights on my car is to indicate that I don't want to be written a ticket for double or triple parking."
    . . .

Misuse of perfectly adequate words, which then become accepted and mainstream.

Expiration date.
    Expiration is not a word people. Things do not expirate, they expire, and hence have an expiry date.
    I'm not sure when the misuse/misspelling of this word started, but I first noticed it around 5 years ago.

This morning, while tracking delivery of my PC online so I know to be in when it arrives, the helpful website informed me that the box was at the sortation depot. Sortation?
    Things aren't sortated you funch of bucking spanners, they're sorted. What the fuck is wrong with the good ol' sorting depot? Huh? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Expiration date. Expiration is not a word people. Things do not expirate, they expire, and hence have an expiry date. I'm not sure when the misuse/misspelling of this word started, but I first noticed it around 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etymology Online;
    expiration early 15c., "vapor, breath," from M.Fr. expiration, from L. expirationem/exspirationem (nom. expiratio/exspiratio), noun of action from pp. stem of expirare/exspirare (see expire). Meaning "termination, end, close" is from 1560s.

Source
    . . .

lol - early 15th century. ><

Am liking the etymology website though.

Let's see...I'll only mention a couple of Pet Peeves!

You're is a contraction of you are. It is properly written as you're. The ' is supposed to indicate there are skipped letters to form the word.

Spelling in general...how fucking hard is it to either know how to spell a word or look it up on dictionary.com?

People who "assume" they know what I am trying to say, before I can say it! Yes, the booze and drugs fried a few brain connections, NO, I do not need help stringing words together. Sometimes I have to stop and think of a name or a word that isn't used all the time, but that does NOT mean I am not capable of knowing what I am saying...especially if you came in on the end of the conversation!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    Spelling in general...how fucking hard is it to either know how to spell a word or look it up on dictionary.com?
    Pretty hard if you have dyslexia.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Be a man, walk it off

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Be a man, walk it off
    I can't walk it off if I don't have it woman!
    . . .

Better not catch you misspelling, then

If you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Dyslexia prevents you from going to dictionary.com?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Dyslexia prevents you from going to dictionary.com?
    Given how high-speed you like your arguments, surely you can see how debilitating it'd be to have to check each single word by an outside source.

Just pointing out the flaw in his logic. I don't really care if people misspell something as long as their post is readable.

Coincidentally, I use a spell check add-on, which catches most mistakes.

As do I, which I lament given what it's done to my vocabulary Though I blame alcohol as well.

But what happened to your fiery argument about Soviets teaching math so hard everyone got it?

Spelling mistakes aren't indicative of a poor education unless they're widespread and constant.

Isn't the definition of a "good" education implicit and therefore hidden in a statement like that?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Just pointing out the flaw in his logic. I don't really care if people misspell something as long as their post is readable.

Does not really help too much since dyslexia is a problem when reading / comprehending. With most spell checkers, you still have to choose one of several options - and those options must be read.

It's not a problem writing stuff down. You're probably thinking of legasthenia.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

At least I was generous about Munchkin's idea and assumed she meant a dyslexic person spell-check via dictionary every single word, whereupon they'd find the difference between your and you're, for example. As you can see, this would be an incredibly taxing process.

This just in: All written communication occurs via computers, states Loki!
    . . .