Thread: Study toasts beer as being good for your bones

Default Study toasts beer as being good for your bones

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6180B120100209

Spoiler:
    Study toasts beer as being good for your bones
    (I'm sorry about the crappy format, just click the link if it bothers you )

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Beer drinkers now have a good excuse to order another round -- the brew may help keep bones strong, a study has found.
    Lifestyle
    Researchers from the Department of Food Science & Technology at the University of California, have found beer is a rich source of silicon and may help prevent osteoporosis, as dietary silicon is a key ingredient for increasing bone mineral density.

These were the findings after researchers tested 100 commercial beers for silicon content and categorized the data according to beer style and source.

Previous research has suggested beer contained silicon but little was known about how silicon levels varied with the different types of beer and malting processes.

"We have examined a wide range of beer styles for their silicon content and have also studied the impact of raw materials and the brewing process on the quantities of silicon that enter wort and beer," researcher Charles Bamforth said in a statement.

The study, published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, found the beers' silicon content ranged from 6.4 milligrams per liter to 56.5 mg per liter. The average person's silicon intake each day is between 20 and 50 mgs.

The researchers found there was little change in the silicon content of barley during the malting process as most of the silicon in barley is in the husk, which is not affected greatly during malting.
    They found pale ales showed the highest silicon content while non-alcoholic beers, light lagers and wheat beers had the least silicon.

"Beers containing high levels of malted barley and hops are richest in silicon," said Bamforth.
    "Wheat contains less silicon than barley because it is the husk of the barley that is rich in this element."
    But Bamforth told reporters that the results shouldn't be taken too serious. The study examined the beers but it did not look at bone mineral density or analyze patients' data.

"I would first consider flavor and whether you like it or not," he told science and technology magazine Discover. "Choose the beer you enjoy, for goodness sake."
    Just to let you know

Not much to discuss, I read the headline and took the rest for granted. I advice to do the same and bottoms up!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Too much beer can take the density out of your bone. Not that I ever had that happen to me, no siree, not me.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Too much beer can make you do stupid things.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

No need to eat beer. I just munch on unformed computer chip wafers as a snack all day.