Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The blog attached

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Here's my proposal for the system:

We create a new hidden forum only viewable to authorized content authors. These authors will also have permission to put their drafts on the front page, but won't be able to publish it for the world to see.

The process for getting an article published is to post a draft in a new thread on the new hidden forum. Editors & other authors will be able to see this and comment on any issues, with a focus on article quality and not on debating the subject. Once the original author feels his article is ready, he can make sure that his desired final content is posted on the front page as a draft and then say that it's ready for publishing in his thread. If one of the authorized final editors agree, they can find his article on the front page and click the publish button to make it appear.

After an article is published, it will automatically create a thread in the D&D forum, and comments == replies.

If possible, it'd probably be nice to make draft articles automatically appear as threads in the hidden forum instead of asking authors to create the threads themselves, but I'm not sure how feasible that is yet.

I'm sure as we get started we'll start seeing ways to streamline this.
    Sounds great.

Looks pretty nice now, already
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Id be willing to do proofreading. I had a job a few years ago that required me to do little else, so im pretty good at it by now.

And yes, i notice the mistakes in my own posts, i just dont bother to fix them. So shuddup already.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Sounds like a good plan Wraith.

I'm open to using either my real or pen name. Not unusual in blogs to see either.

I would personally suggest using a respectable pen name.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Another issue to consider: the use of real names. If I write something, I don't necessarily think it'd be very professional for it to be 'by steely glint'.
    You're right, though I don't think it's too important. The easiest way to get people's real names to show up their would be to have their account name == their real name, but it should also be possible to add a field to the profile and use that as the publishing name as well.

The 'View all' button doesn't work yet, by the way.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Wraith - me likey. I don't have time tonight, but hopefully I'll have a chance by Tuesday to post a piece in the 'editing' forum. The system sounds great; I'm sure we can work out kinks as they come.

On the question of RL names, I'm a little leery of doing so. First, I'm just a cagey bastard. Second, my full name is rare enough that there are at most a handful of people with that name on the planet (possibly only yours truly). That's a bit too personally identifiable for me. Perhaps more importantly, this kind of stuff is searchable forever. If I ever voice an opinion on a controversial issue, it could come back to haunt me if I ever need something like a security clearance (not that I'm planning on advocating treason or anything). The relative anonymity of pseudonyms allows freer discourse IMO. That being said, I'm definitely okay with swapping my nick for a boring pseudonym - my old and rather childish nick was chosen when I was much younger and stupider.

I'm excited to see the forthcoming posts from our various writers! Should be fun.

Ender

If we did want to go with real names, we can probably get away with just real-sounding names.

It's not unusual for bloggers to use pseudonyms. There are about 7 or 8 bloggers I regularly read, but only 3 of those use their real-life names and for all 3 of them its essentially their full time job (or a part of it). All others use some sort of pseudonym, even if their real life name is known. I see nothing wrong with "Wiggin" as a pseudonym.

In my case, RandBlade would be fairly unique to me, but my name is the opposite of yours - both my first and surname are 2 of the most common in the English-speaking world and there are famous people with the exact same name as me. I'm OK with being identifiable to a unique pseudonym that isn't obviously personally identifiable.