Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Put Gays and Lesbians in Electrified Pen to Kill Them Off"

Default "Put Gays and Lesbians in Electrified Pen to Kill Them Off"

I love Christianity. All about loving your neighbor, unless you're a damn queer.

[EDIT]

Last edited by EmperorNorton; 05-23-2012 at 05:38 AM.

I saw this a few days ago, and almost added it to *cough* other threads in D & D....

I've also waited to see who'd post a reply here in Community Chat, to this kind of outrageous and hateful 'speech' that's hiding under the auspice of religious freedom. I'm tired of waiting, and disappointed that I'm the first to reply.

This "church" and their pastor can preach any outrageous thing they like, and call it "religious freedom". But they can't preach politics from the pulpit, encourage parishioners to vote a certain way, and expect to retain their tax-exempt non-political status.

Now, if we can hold the Roman Catholic Church to that same standard, we might actually get somewhere.

They can actually preach politics (just think about what not preaching politics would entail); they can't say which candidate/party to vote for. And I like how you try to use an article about an idiotic pastor to make a point for censorship.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    They can actually preach politics (just think about what not preaching politics would entail); they can't say which candidate/party to vote for. And I like how you try to use an article about an idiotic pastor to make a point for censorship.
    Clergy can unwittingly endorse one party over the other...in every sermon that invokes their version of interpreted Biblical morality, and encourages parishioners to "vote" those religious beliefs accordingly. It's one thing for the Pope/Vatican to decry birth control as a "sin", and quite another to have a Diocese, Bishops, Priests or parishioners fighting against Planned Parenthood....or demanding that every Walgreen's or Rite Aid pharmacy take condoms off their shelves...or employ Pharmacists who can invoke a religious exemption against filling BCP or Plan B prescriptions.

I like how you try to call that censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Clergy can unwittingly endorse one party over the other...in every sermon that invokes their version of interpreted Biblical morality, and encourages parishioners to "vote" those religious beliefs accordingly. It's one thing for the Pope/Vatican to decry birth control as a "sin", and quite another to have a Diocese, Bishops, Priests or parishioners fighting against Planned Parenthood....or demanding that every Walgreen's or Rite Aid pharmacy take condoms off their shelves...or employ Pharmacists who can invoke a religious exemption against filling BCP or Plan B prescriptions.

Then become an atheist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It is a bit silly that they are tax exempt, of course. I'm hoping similar non religious organizations are also exempt over there? (they are here)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Then become an atheist
    Hate-speech
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

So if a biology teacher says that evolution is correct and that their students should vote on that basis, they're endorsing a party and should be fired? Like I said, you never think your positions through. As usual, your position is "anyone I don't like should only be able to do things I approve of".

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    It is a bit silly that they are tax exempt, of course. I'm hoping similar non religious organizations are also exempt over there? (they are here)
    Yes, they are. Finding facts in GGT's posts is like finding love in al-Qaeda videos.

So if a biology teacher says that evolution is correct and that their students should vote on that basis, they're endorsing a party and should be fired? Like I said, you never think your positions through. As usual, your position is "anyone I don't like should only be able to do things I approve of".
    Absolutely a biology teacher shouldn't be encouraging students how to vote. That is totally inappropriate. Better comparison is a charity.

Then again pupils are forced to go to schools by law, people choose what congregation if any they're a part of and can choose like me to be a part of none.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

How is that different from all the pro-environment propaganda taught in schools?

How is that different from all the pro-environment propaganda taught in schools?
    Teaching about global warming from a scientific appropriate - Appropriate
    Advising pupils to vote for pro-environment parties - Not Appropriate.

Indeed, even today I find it very difficult to fight down the urge to hate environments and to place all environments inside electrified pens until they die.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Teaching about global warming from a scientific appropriate - Appropriate
    Advising pupils to vote for pro-environment parties - Not Appropriate.
    The more apt analogy would be "this is an important issue, and if you care about it, you should not be afraid to vote solely on the basis of this issue".

The more apt analogy would be "this is an important issue, and if you care about it, you should not be afraid to vote solely on the basis of this issue".
    Inappropriate. A teacher should not give any instructions on how one should vote.

Kind of academic, given how you're practically done with school by the time you can vote?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

can't start too early with indoctrination

Out of curiosity, what does this tax exemption business have to do with freedom of speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does this tax exemption business have to do with freedom of speech?
    Religions are classed the same as charities and so are exempt from certain taxes. Freedom of Speech prevents the government discriminating against religions or favouring religions, so in order to be even they would have to tax all religions (and potentially all charities) if they taxed any. Personally despite being an atheist I agree that a religion is more like a charity than like a business.

I think the whole "You should Vote" is bad.

Previous generations have died to fight for our right to vote, you should vote. You shouldn't have to, but you should want to/understand why it's important.

Religions are classed the same as charities and so are exempt from certain taxes. Freedom of Speech prevents the government discriminating against religions or favouring religions, so in order to be even they would have to tax all religions (and potentially all charities) if they taxed any. Personally despite being an atheist I agree that a religion is more like a charity than like a business.
    From what I've heard, "charitable" contributions to religious orgnisations in the US amounts to almost $100B/year, and last I heard faith-based lobbying amounts to a few hundred million per year. If you include the merchandising I'd guess the total revenue and profit of religious organisations in the US would be even higher. And where does that money go? Yes, religious organisations do a lot of great work, but I'm fairly sure that's not all the money goes to. It goes to salaries--where many get a little and some get a lot--and to recruitment and to lobbying. I dunno if they can be considered to be particularly effective businesses but I don't buy the comparison to charities or to educational organisations.

My "position" is quite clear. Biology teachers are responsible for conveying scientific factual data, as well as introducing theories. Social Science and Philosophy teachers are responsible for helping students learn how to compile data, theories, put them into context, and come to their own conclusions.

Any public K-12 biology teacher that melds evolution theory with voting is teaching beyond the scope of their field. Since they use public tax dollars, they can (theoretically) be fired.

Any clergy that melds religious theory with voting is preaching beyond the pulpit. Since they're tax-exempt religious entities, they can (theoretically) choose between proselytizing or giving up their tax-exempt status.

Several non-religious groups have tax exempt status. Including PACs and super-PACs that directly influence our voting process. They don't hide behind the religious exemption, but instead use the Money is Speech and Corporations are People.

Yes, they are. Finding facts in GGT's posts is like finding love in al-Qaeda videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Kind of academic, given how you're practically done with school by the time you can vote?
    Not in the US. Most of my friends voted for POTUS during HS, but I wasn't an eligible voter until freshmen year of college, and had to wait a few years until the next presidential election.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    From what I've heard, "charitable" contributions to religious orgnisations in the US amounts to almost $100B/year, and last I heard faith-based lobbying amounts to a few hundred million per year. If you include the merchandising I'd guess the total revenue and profit of religious organisations in the US would be even higher. And where does that money go? Yes, religious organisations do a lot of great work, but I'm fairly sure that's not all the money goes to. It goes to salaries--where many get a little and some get a lot--and to recruitment and to lobbying. I dunno if they can be considered to be particularly effective businesses but I don't buy the comparison to charities or to educational organisations.
    Charities play salaries - and lobby.

I got into a Facebook argument the other day with an old friend from uni. She works for the charity Oxfam and is lobbying for an introduction of a Financial Transaction Tax, or as they call it "Robin Hood Tax". I respect Oxfam but won't personally donate to them while they're using that money to lobby for a tax I bitterly oppose, but I don't think they're not a charity because they're doing that. Oxfam has a team of people on salary doing that. All major charities spend a lot on salaries.

Not in the US. Most of my friends voted for POTUS during HS, but I wasn't an eligible voter until freshmen year of college, and had to wait a few years until the next presidential election.
    Considering you guys have an election every other year I imagine a significant chunk of people are able to cast their first ballots before leaving HS.

Man, if you've seen some of the mega churches in the good ol' South, you know where the money goes. Drove by one in NC that was so huge, the parking lot had a van that took churchgoers from the end of the lot to the front door. Like a fuckin' theme park. What the hell would you go to a giant church?!?!

Maybe I should have gone in, there could have been a rollercoaster inside...

Across Europe many Church buildings are architectural and historical marvels. A lot of Church income is spent on upkeep, I'm happy with that. It would not be a shame to lose religion, it would be a shame to lose the Churches and Cathedrals.

Don't get me wrong, I love architecture too. The only reason I set foot in some religious institutions, really. The church I'm thinking of is an older congregation dating back to the 1930s, but this new building is less than 10 years old. They have a 3 million dollar organ. And a cafe. And a library. 5,000 capacity seating in the main chapel. Not sure how any of this gets you into Heaven faster, though. Megachurches I think they call them. They're really big business. It's kind of ugly too. Big and pink.

Found it! Calvary Church: http://www.calvarychurch.com/site/index.cfm

Sounds cool.

Private non-profit-making libraries would generally be charities too won't they? So not sure having a charity ought to negate tax-free status.

I'm not saying they can't have tax-free status; I just find it a bit of a gross advantage of the tax-free issue. But as long as they are using it as "charity" and for the church's growth itself I don't have a problem. I'm just griping about the hypocrisy of organized religion. "Give us money to feed the poor; oh ya, we just bought a laser light show and the pastor got a new Benz!" It's all about the business of saving souls, and reaping the monetary reward for it. I kind of applaud their getting around the loophole of taxes: pretend to care about the souls of others and strike it rich! I definitely can't understand being a serious worshipper at a facility like that.

EDIT: I'm not saying that no ones pays taxes on the laser light show and Benz, that's just leftover money from the collection plate right into someone's pocket so what's a little sales tax on those items.