Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [AE] War Room & Hit-List

I'm for attacking! I'm almost at the point of research that I can build frigates.

Wait, forgot the armour required, so about 4 hours from now I can build that.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Growth in this game is asymptotic; people who start early have a huge advantage, but that advantage almost entirely disappears at some point. Right now, the players who started at the very beginning have a substantial economic and military advantage over us. Our advantage is that we're probably better coordinated and more loyal. This means that if we're slightly behind militarily and are outnumbered say 2 to 1, we might still be able to win. If the disadvantage is heavier than that, we're committing collective suicide.

We should wait until wednesday or so. Then we start scouting heavily in all sectors around us. We need to know where every single Borg planet in out vicinity is and how strong their owners are. If we meet the two criteria set out above, we can begin coordinating a simultaneous response to remove this guild from the pages of time.
    Hope is the denial of reality

As you command Glorious Leader, so shall it be. I'll play the long term game.

I hope Random joins BORG
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I hope not, easier to take him down when he's alone.

Nothing I wrote above precludes our members from attacking individual players/members of weak guilds. Or retaliating against Random.

Ah yes he can still be an innocent bystander

Been doing the math, and it actually looks like pillaging can be very profitable, even against defended opponents. We should probably start doing that. There's a minimum pillage amount based on the planet's economy, and if you can get recyclers in too, you can make a pretty sizable profit.

By the way, that minimum pillage also means that you need more turrets.

Okay, advice: I've got a BORG planet in my system plus another planet occupied by BORG. What kind of defenses (minimum) should I have before the lvl 10 transition?

2 missile turrets on each planet. If you take a crystalline planet, you'll need a third turret on that one. (edit: around the time you cross 45 economy)
    Last edited by Wraith; 06-03-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Okay, advice: I've got a BORG planet in my system plus another planet occupied by BORG. What kind of defenses (minimum) should I have before the lvl 10 transition?
    2 levels of missile base. In my home system I went ahead and built a plasma turret, and I expect to upgrade my current outposts to plasmas sometime tomorrow.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm in. Got Frigates now so can fly some Fighters around.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised I'd only loaded Page 1 so was missing all the convo of page 2. Already sent 1 opportunistic attack against a Borg player. 2 big players hit each other, leaving behind just 2 Fighters left over and 210 debris with the player occupied. He's now liberated himself and has 2 Fighters defending with his missiles on 0.1 strength. Sending a fleet to occupy and recyclers to clean up the debris. Its just a fraction of what Borg have taken from me, but makes me feel better.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 06-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The attacker might still be around. There's a tactic of sending exactly what you need to destroy the opponent to minimize your own losses, then following up with a second wave to do the actual occupying. Recycler fleets are of course separate.

Stealing debris fields can potentially piss off two players. Be careful who you're doing this to.

http://mira.astroempires.com/map.aspx?loc=M34:47:03:21

F5/M3

Also a BORG-occupied F6/M3 planet in the system, can't see any fleet or defense info. Does that mean there are none?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    By the way, that minimum pillage also means that you need more turrets.
    Turrets stop being cost effective after the second one. A turret has 8 times more power/armor than a fighter. But while a fighter always costs 5 credits, the third turret costs 45. I'd only build more than 2-3 turrets if an attack was imminent (because you can build turrets and ships at once).

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    http://mira.astroempires.com/map.aspx?loc=M34:47:03:21

F5/M3

Also a BORG-occupied F6/M3 planet in the system, can't see any fleet or defense info. Does that mean there are none?
    Yes. Is the dude over level 10?

Two questions about the battle calculator, if anyone has tried it yet - do you add turrets per level or per turret? E.g. if someone has level two turrets, do I fill in 2 or 10?

Second, when I put some info in, it resutled with all my fleet destroyed, all his fleet destroyed, and some turrets left for him - but still said I would pillage a lot. Is that even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Turrets stop being cost effective after the second one. A turret has 8 times more power/armor than a fighter. But while a fighter always costs 5 credits, the third turret costs 45. I'd only build more than 2-3 turrets if an attack was imminent (because you can build turrets and ships at once).
    You're mathing wrong. You get 5 turrets for each purchase you make. So missile turrets are more cost effective until they start costing 200 per.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Yes. Is the dude over level 10?
    Dammit I forgot to check before I moved on

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Two questions about the battle calculator, if anyone has tried it yet - do you add turrets per level or per turret? E.g. if someone has level two turrets, do I fill in 2 or 10?

Second, when I put some info in, it resutled with all my fleet destroyed, all his fleet destroyed, and some turrets left for him - but still said I would pillage a lot. Is that even possible?
    You put two turrets in as 10. And no, I don't think it's possible. The pillage thing just assumes you can pillage. It does provide an interesting tidbit of information though. It tells you how much money someone pillaging one of your bases can get, which will give you a clue as to how much defense to put on to make attacking unprofitable.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Call it, Loki. Do I hit him, or not?

I can win the battle. I don't think I can win the war.

I forget, are BORG and R~A allied? I have a system nearby with a bunch of planets owned by Random and a couple more by BORG players.

No, they've been fighting each other.

As you guys probably saw, one of my cities is being occupied by Random. I'm going to have the bombers/fighters/frigates/carriers to dislodge him in a few hours, but I'm going to be gone for 18 consecutive hours (starting in 2 hours) and therefore can't do anything. Can someone take control of my account until then? There are some rules against having two accounts with the same IP address, so you have to take that into consideration.

As you guys probably saw, one of my cities is being occupied by Random. I'm going to have the bombers/fighters/frigates/carriers to dislodge him in a few hours, but I'm going to be gone for 18 consecutive hours (starting in 2 hours) and therefore can't do anything. Can someone take control of my account until then? There are some rules against having two accounts with the same IP address, so you have to take that into consideration.
    In what way are you going to be unable to access the internet for 18 hours?
    . . .

In that I was on multiple planes and at multiple airports.

In that I was on multiple planes and at multiple airports.
    Thanks for that explanation Dr. Osterman.
    . . .

This evening I shall be sending out an attack fleet of 16k. Who's life should I be making miserable?

Random and anyone else who's been attacking us lately.