Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012

Default Euro 2012

So Euro 2012 starts tonight with Poland v Greece.

I'll be supporting Greece. Just like everyone else

I'll get my coat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Is this "football" or some kind of fiscal reconciliation conducted through gladiator matches?

Football.

Though mine was a fiscal joke and solving the fiscal problems with gladiator matches would be something to see.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Speaking of which, it's a bit weird that I've seen examples floating around of how the tournament would play out if it were based on each nation's respective economic strength ... (BBC website has one, as does today's Metro)

Germany thrashes England in the final ... apparently. Though only because Sweden is in the opposing draw to England.

~

Anyway, insert comments here about:
    - All the racism stories and human rights abuses going on in Poland and Ukraine at the moment
    - Players' warning fans and family of players to stay away if they're non-white
    - MPs in most countries boycotting attendance
    - The Dutch team in training in Krakow yesterday having a hardcore of Polish fans chanting monkey noises at black players; problems are starting before the tournament has even begun.

This tournament will be overshadowed. And rightfully so. Poland and Ukraine should never have been allowed to host this in the first place.

An extra advantage is that all other channels tend to program a lot of films and series aimed at non-football fans, which is often good. The second public channel.always airs good detectives during euro and world cups That said, I'll probably watch a bunch of the matches. And if the commentary sucks, I can simple switch to Belgian tv or the BBC! (although apparently BBC1 only airs one match today..)

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    An extra advantage is that all other channels tend to program a lot of films and series aimed at non-football fans, which is often good. The second public channel.always airs good detectives during euro and world cups That said, I'll probably watch a bunch of the matches. And if the commentary sucks, I can simple switch to Belgian tv or the BBC! (although apparently BBC1 only airs one match today..)
    BBC and ITV share the tournament. So BBC shows half the matches, ITV the other half. They both show the final and sometimes the occasional match is shown by both for some reason (Denmark v Portugal is getting listed as both, while no England games are I think).

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    BBC and ITV share the tournament. So BBC shows half the matches, ITV the other half. They both show the final and sometimes the occasional match is shown by both for some reason (Denmark v Portugal is getting listed as both, while no England games are I think).
    Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying. Weird setup, though!

Anyway, this first match is weird.
    Spoiler:
    Undeserved red for Greece in the first half, Greece should/could have had a penalty, then red for Polish goalie and a penalty, but it was stopped by the new goalie. And overall the level of football is pretty low.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I hope Greece wins as well, as I've bet on it.

All-in-all, Spain should take this home. Most of the players belong to either Real Madrid or FC Barcelona, the two current best footballer clubs imo.

I'd also find it funny if Torres paid tribute to his trust. I saw a glimpse of his pre-Chelsea greatness in the UEFA Champions League finals.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

BBC News has tried to contact the German Chancellor to see if she had a message for the football fans. We haven't had a response yet.

Perhaps she is too busy with work.

Russian fans decide to start beating up Polish stewards before their match against Czech republic on friday

Lovely. I finally saw that BBC docu on racism and hooligans there, gotta love that Ukrain official saying 'Oh no, that's not the hitler salute, they are pointing at the other team'. While shouting 'Sieg Heil'...

Does anyone know of a good website where I can watch this live online?

Over here it's streamed live by the broadcaster who also airs it on the tv, but it's probably restricted to Dutch IPs. Chances are the broadcaster from your country also streams it, check their website!.

http://nos.nl/ek2012/live/ that's where I can watch it streaming, just in case it isn't protected.

Would help if you said what nation you're in. All legal streaming services I know are restricted by nationality.

In the UK you could use the BBC iPlayer/ITV Player apps or websites. I've also got an app called TV Catch Up that streams all live free UK TV. But all those are probably restricted to UK IP addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Russian fans decide to start beating up Polish stewards before their match against Czech republic on friday
    UEFA will announce the consequences on wednesday, could be a fine or even point deduction. Portugal and Germany are also under investigation, because German fans threw stuff on the field during the match, and Portugal apparently showed up late for the second half. Racist chants from Russian fans are also under investigation (against the Czech goalie).

Caught a bit of the Pole/Greek match at lunch last Friday. I turned to my buddy and asked why Poland hides it's hotties. Aside from the players I saw (OMG) the only Poles I've seen are you and Meathead, not a good representation of the country.

He just flipped me the bird in response.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

England 1 -1 France

A good result for England, France were the favourites - they're unbeaten in 21 games since Sept 2010

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier but if there is anyone looking for a good quality live stream, watchespn.com works great.

I'm going to the bar tonight to watch the match though Don't really expect to win, but one can hope. The big screens on the squares don't come out unless we survive the group stages though. Which is one of the reasons I hope that happens, because that's always quite the party

(That's my hometown, during the quarter finals last WC)

Speaking of partying fans - is it just my selective memory or is this the first nation cup in quite a few years with violence like this (with that I mean more than just some incidents of drunk people)?

Well, that was a waste of time.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Well, that didn't help

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Coincidentally, over here only the garbage collectors wear orange.

By the way: What does a dutch man do when he has won the championship?

Spoiler:
    Turn off the Playstation and go to bed
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Ho ho.

The Germans are looking tasty tho.

Too be honest, Germany didn't even play that well last night. It's just the Netherlands sucked really, really hard.

Spain vs Germany in the finals again, I think. And maybe Portugal and Russia in the semi-finals.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Agreed Kazuha, and Spain to win it.

They looked very, very convincng last night as they dismantled the Irish. Some beautiful play ...

Yeah, that was good. They didn't play that awesome when they were up against Italy though, I guess it helps that they were up against Ireland.

Yep it was a mismatch - it's easy for a team to look great against 2nd class opponents.

~

Off into town tonight with some buddies to see England v Sweden.

Friday night to have England play an international - there's gonna be chaos ...

By the way, Irish fans are world champion supporters as far as I'm concerned.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London