Thread: YOU! Are you a GEEK?? Do you like LOVE??

Default YOU! Are you a GEEK?? Do you like LOVE??

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

That was a nice episode, felt bad for the wookie. I like his attitude though. I'm a lone wolf, woman be wary. Who knows goes to a few more of those things, starts talkin' a bit more, and things might go well for him. Favorite line would be "Did I tell you, I work at gamestop" "That's awesome"

Wow, these geeks put my geek friends to shame.

EDIT: Though Dan and Kelly remind me of two of my friends, LOL!
    Last edited by Catgrrl; 07-17-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Someone *cough* will surely call me judgemental or riding a high horse....but after 3 minutes I couldn't watch any more. Looked like the Me and X generations have morphed into a weird millennial generation, where narcissism and perpetual entertainment is trying to find legitimacy in terms like geek or nerd.

A fetish for fetishes and fetishists, because there's always an "outside" group ready to make money from any fringe? Furries finding shows like Wilfred, or movies like Ted, going mainstream. Why not? They've already done random violence, rape, gangsters, rogue soldiers, vigilantes, cannibalism, and zombies. Entertainment should at least include those who're entertained by Star Wars, Star Trek, Superman, comic book heroes. Right?

Not much different than hippies going mainstream with their tie-dyed free-love sex, drugs and Rock 'n Roll, I suppose. Do your own thang. If it feels good, Do It. Don't let anyone stop you from feeding your ego (or Id), or allow yourself to be boxed in by labels. That's bullying, of sorts. They just don't understand...what a creative and free soul looks like, or what freeedom and liberty means.

See how that works? Eventually everything old is new again. The snake tries to swallow its own tail, but isn't satisfied or nourished. History doesn't repeat itself so much as it rhymes.

I can't parse that post at all, beyond the general "I don't like geeks or love"

Speaking as a member of the anime club, the kid who studied all throughout high school, and had a little to no social life, I never understood how or why people had difficulty appropriating digits from the same/opposite sex. I literally just walk up to women I find attractive and chat them up even if they are with a few friends and get a number probably 1/4th of the time. I don't think I'm particularly jaw-slacking attractive or widdle puddy cat cute.

Maybe I just don't have any shame.

That's probably it.

I like to call it the asshole effect. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous women don't get hit on nearly as much as merely attractive women because most guys figure she's just out of their league. The ones who do hit on her are likely to be either assholes or shameless - the former have nothing to lose, and the latter don't fear rejection. That's why you see so many ridiculously amazing women with guys who don't appear to have anything special going for them.

On the other hand, I've also heard about the game theory approach to meeting women. In an average bar, the hottest woman at any given time will be approached the most, right? But that means that your chances of making a good impression aren't that great. If you instead focus on the second hottest woman in the bar, you have a much better chance of getting a decent reception. Of course, this doesn't really contradict the aforementioned asshole effect, because in general the hottest woman in a bar isn't actually that gorgeous anyways, so she's still approachable.

(For the record, this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I have never tried to 'pick up' a woman, so this is largely theoretical knowledge.)

Of course, a decent pickup line to an appropriately educated woman might be to tell her the underlying logic of why you shouldn't be chatting her up because she's the most attractive woman in the room, but that you can't help yourself because she's so remarkable.

I do enjoy a woman who can appreciate a game-theory based compliment.

I vouch this strategy works for me all the time. Well, minus the bar setting since i'm 18 and I got no fake.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    That's why you see so many ridiculously amazing women with guys who don't appear to have anything special going for them.
    Either he has a ginormous donkey dick, he's loaded, or he has been blessed with a silver tongue.

On the other hand, I've also heard about the game theory approach to meeting women. In an average bar, the hottest woman at any given time will be approached the most, right? But that means that your chances of making a good impression aren't that great. If you instead focus on the second hottest woman in the bar, you have a much better chance of getting a decent reception. Of course, this doesn't really contradict the aforementioned asshole effect, because in general the hottest woman in a bar isn't actually that gorgeous anyways, so she's still approachable.
    That's actually pretty interesting. I may just indulge you and become your lab rat; i haven't participate in enough compromising activities. you know, the quintessential college stuff, lol.

[QUOTE=Omega;117140Either he has a ginormous donkey dick, he's loaded, or he has been blessed with a silver tongue. [/QUOTE]

Ooooorrr... they just like each other.

I wonder what kind of men women hit on

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    All my scores, it was never I that started the convo. Sure, I have to be in the right places, and you have to stand out (suit up!) without looking like a fool or slob, but I never considered myself ignored. I was never really good at the whole interaction thing either. I'd miss so many obvious hints
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Ooooorrr... they just like each other.
    Oh, I was speaking of hookups. Which are the same as marriage essentially. Dat 53% divorce rate.

After watching the first 34 seconds, I realise I am definitely the target audience - I also have Iron Man underwear :P Am way less geeky though.
    I like to call it the asshole effect. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous women don't get hit on nearly as much as merely attractive women because most guys figure she's just out of their league. The ones who do hit on her are likely to be either assholes or shameless - the former have nothing to lose, and the latter don't fear rejection. That's why you see so many ridiculously amazing women with guys who don't appear to have anything special going for them.

(For the record, this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I have never tried to 'pick up' a woman, so this is largely theoretical knowledge.)
    Or, wait until the end of the night and hit on the least attractive, last remaining girls - guaranteed score. My friend's brother does this, and his nickname is 'The Dragonslayer'

Would like to point out that often the less attractive friend feels somewhat overshadowed by the more attractive friend that all the guys hit on, so she will likely e even more happy that you're going for her and be more receptive.

My problem is that a) I'm pretty shy so don't easily walk up to a girl b) when I do, I often don't know what to say c) when I do manage to start a nice conversation, changing that from a nice conversation into more Seems to go better when I'm drunk, since I'm less scared of saying something stupid then and talk more easily. This is also why it's way easier to talk to a girl you don't have a crush on - less scared to make an ass out of yourself (which, let's face it, you probably are doing by not talking the way you usually do).
    Of course, a decent pickup line to an appropriately educated woman might be to tell her the underlying logic of why you shouldn't be chatting her up because she's the most attractive woman in the room, but that you can't help yourself because she's so remarkable.

I do enjoy a woman who can appreciate a game-theory based compliment.
    Wonder if that would work though! Let's see if I can try tomorrow in Ghent - it is a student city so there should be girls who know game theory!
    You'd be mighty surprised they have widely different tastes like everyone. Almost as if they are people, too!
    Last edited by Flixy; 07-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Or, wait until the end of the night and hit on the least attractive, last remaining girls - guaranteed score. My friend's brother does this, and his nickname is 'The Dragonslayer'
    The problem is that this is a suboptimal outcome. If you just want to have sex, sure, it may work (albeit preying on women with low self-esteem). But if you want to maximize the hotness of your potential partner, you need to think very carefully about one's targeting and approach.

The problem is that this is a suboptimal outcome. If you just want to have sex, sure, it may work (albeit preying on women with low self-esteem). But if you want to maximize the hotness of your potential partner, you need to think very carefully about one's targeting and approach.
    OTOH, by closing time chances are you're very drunk and don't care anyway It is also the time as a less attractive person to pick up more attractive people, especially if they were just unsuccessful with someone else (I know that I am less picky after being unsuccessful with someone else.. with sometimes undesired consequences).

Also, how is it preying? They want to get laid too

Heh, well I've never really been a part of the 'pickup scene' so I can't speak to the cultural assumptions there. I just assumed that it's not everyone's priority to get laid when they're at a bar - the trick is in appropriately convincing one's partner of choice to a desired course of action.

Heh, well I've never really been a part of the 'pickup scene' so I can't speak to the cultural assumptions there. I just assumed that it's not everyone's priority to get laid when they're at a bar - the trick is in appropriately convincing one's partner of choice to a desired course of action.
    That all depends on what bars you frequent And it may not be a priority, but most singles (and some non singles) certainly don't mind.