Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Winter Olympics Thread

Default The Winter Olympics Thread

Vancouver! Opening Ceremonies tonight!

Figured we could use a thread where we can talk about our favorites (mine is skating).

Anyone else watching....or going?

<Yawn>

My semi-regular Heritage Foundation spam claims that the Obama Admin owns GE/NBC and that because its warm in Vancouver, be ready for all the lies about global warming.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

The Games haven't even started yet, but you're already bored? Or did you just feel like posting about your spam mail?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The Games haven't even started yet, but you're already bored? Or did you just feel like posting about your spam mail?

The olympics don't interest me. But the ongoing brainwashing of America does. The two came to gether in an email I got just before reading your post. Sorry to pollute it. I can go away now if you like.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

They still doing that weird sport of ice sweeping?
    EDIT: It appears to be called Curling, and its one of the events this year.

Eyekhan, you really should try to be less of an idiot, and thats coming from the guy who doesn't know what curling is, or whats so exciting about it.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-12-2010 at 03:20 PM.

I knew what was, but don't know whats so exciting about it. Shuffle board on ice, ooh.
    My favorite event is the biathalon, cross country skiing and shooting
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Curling.

At the last winter Olympics there was a Scottish Women's team that got through to the quarter or semi-finals or something. Suddenly the entire UK went mad for curling, wanting to know everything about it, where it was being played, BBC started publishing articles on the rules of the sport etc

Then in typical British fashion the team lost. Interest seemed to die as quickly as it started up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    They still doing that weird sport of ice sweeping?
    EDIT: It appears to be called Curling, and its one of the events this year.

Eyekhan, you really should try to be less of an idiot, and thats coming from the guy who doesn't know what curling is, or whats so exciting about it.
    Well considering the source, I think I'm doing just fine. Dick.
    The Rules

Olympic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili dies after crash
    Beeb Sport

The death of a luge competitor who left the track at high speed has cast a shadow over the Winter Olympics in Canada ahead of the opening ceremony.
    Georgian Nodar Kumaritashvili's sled flipped and he smashed into a steel pole at the Whistler Sliding Centre.
    An Olympic official later confirmed the 21-year-old had died as a result.
    Training was immediately suspended after the accident, which happened just hours before the ceremony to open the 21st Winter Games in Vancouver.
    Kumaritashvili's sled struck the inside of the track's last turn during his sixth and final training run, sending his body into the air and over a concrete wall.
    His sled remained on the track, and the visor from his helmet appeared to continue down the ice.

Medical staff at the track and doctors at a local hospital tried to resuscitate Kumaritashvili, part of a seven-strong Georgian team, but the country's Olympic delegation later confirmed he had died as a result of his injuries.
    "We are all in deep shock, we don't know what to do. We don't know whether to take part in the opening ceremony or even the Olympic Games themselves," said delegation head Irakly Japaridze.
    "This tragedy casts a shadow over these Games," said International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge, while International Luge Federation chief Josef Fendt said the incident was "the gravest thing that can happen in sport".
    The IOC confirmed an investigation had been launched and technical officials were trying to establish the cause of the crash.
    BBC Sport's Colin Bryce, a former British bobsleigh competitor, said Kumaritashvili was "clearly nervous going down the final run - you could see his head sticking up."

Bryce added: "He was very scared going down the fast corners.
    "It's up to the organisers whether there is such a small percentage chance of that happening again that we continue with the race, or whether we stop."
    BBC Sport understands organisers currently expect the Olympic luge competition, scheduled to begin on Saturday, to continue after team leaders met and agreed not to abandon it.
    But top IOC officials are heading to Whistler and may reverse that decision.
    The track at Whistler, which is shared by the sports of luge, skeleton and bobsleigh, already has a reputation as one of the fastest - and most dangerous - in the world.
    In the build-up to the Games several teams had raised concerns about the safety of athletes, who regularly exceed 90mph as they compete, though Kumaritashvili crashed at a corner which had not been previously identified as a danger area.
    Before the incident, British skeleton slider Amy Williams told BBC Sport: "I just hope Whistler is safe and that there aren't too many crashes and serious injuries."

"To what extent are we just little lemmings that they throw down a track? I mean, this is our lives"
    Hannah Campbell-Pegg, Australian luger
    Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg added: "I think they are pushing it a little too much.
    "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."
    Their comments followed earlier accidents, including one involving gold medal favourite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy and several during women's luge training runs on Wednesday.
    Among those who crashed, Romania's Violeta Stramaturaru was knocked unconscious for a few minutes and taken to hospital.
    The track is where British competitor Adam Rosen crashed during training in October last year. He suffered a dislocated hip as well as nerve and tendon damage.
    After intensive rehabilitation, Rosen made the team for his second Winter Games and was taking part in the same training session when Kumaritashvili crashed.
    "We are a family in luge, so a sudden and tragic loss such as this impacts everyone deeply," said Rosen in a statement released by the British Olympic Association.
    "We know that the international federation, the IOC and (Vancouver organisers) have no higher priority than ensuring our safety, on and off the field of play.
    "I know they are looking into this and, should it be deemed necessary for them to introduce additional measures, they will do so."

British skeleton's performance director, Andi Schmid, said before the Games that a lack of track time for athletes in the run-up to the Games had increased the risk of accidents.
    "I would say especially for speed sports you need to have more access to tracks and whoever organises the Olympics needs to offer that," said Schmid in January.
    "Not only so that everyone has a fair chance but also because of the danger. We need to be careful so that these sports stay great action sports and don't become dangerous killer sports.
    "I'm not saying that will happen but some athletes from other nations are less experienced."
    Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.
    He had already crashed in the second of his six training runs, emerging shaken but unhurt. His average speed in others runs - 88mph - was considerably less than speeds achieved by top competitors so far.
    Prior to the Vancouver Games, no Winter Olympic athlete had been killed during an event.
    But the 1964 Games in Innsbruck were overshadowed by the deaths of two competitors before it began.
    British luger Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypeski was killed during practice two weeks before on the Igls Olympic track, and Australian skier Ross Milne died during training for the same Games.

A minute's silence for the pair was observed at the opening ceremony.

Not good.

Farkin dangerous sport.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    I saw the video, and I wish I hadn't.
    I enjoy blank walls.

I'm with Marioman,,I wish I hadn't seen that!

Past that, I wanna see the bruised puppy from Colorado (female) does in the downhill scholom does? (I don't think it's scholom it's something else.)

EDIT:: Just now watching opening ceremonies now. Must be a rerun!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

There's a bad vibe over this olympics, a feeling I've never caught before. There's local groups protesting the games as a waste of money. The weather's too warm and foggy. Someone died in practice. There was a major gaffe at the end of the opening ceremonies.
    Spoiler:
    The gaffe heard 'round the world -- Vancouver organizers had planned for four Olympic cauldrons to be lit by Canada's most famous athletes, but a mechanical error prevented one of the massive torches from rising from the floor of BC Place. Former hockey star Wayne Gretzky, two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash and Alpine skiing legend Nancy Green were able to light their cauldrons, but speedskater Catriona Lemay Doan was left with her flame when the fourth torch failed to emerge from underneath the stadium. It was an embarrassing end to an otherwise flawless Opening Ceremony. Instead of the indelible memory of four cauldron-lighters, this ceremony will be most remembered for the cauldron that wouldn't rise.
    What the heck? I don't ever remember so much going wrong with an olympics. Even the poisonous Chinese air....
    The Rules

Pfff they ty to make these opening ceremonies so intricate and complicated it's no wonder there are gaffes like this.

Similar gaffe happened in Sydney.

What happened in Sydney? A technical error?

Do you recall the Chinese were using CGI fireworks for the television broadcast instead of the real thing? Imagine that, the people credited with inventing fireworks fake it in their big olympic moment. Irony, that.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Pfff they ty to make these opening ceremonies so intricate and complicated it's no wonder there are gaffes like this.

Similar gaffe happened in Sydney.
    I rembember seeing an opening where an arrow with the fire clearly missed the torch and the thing still lit up
    Congratulations America

Speedskating starts tonight. All speedskating events will be shown at acceptable times. I even love the 10km. Tonight 5.000m.

I love big sporting events

edit: So what if the 4th pillar didn't rise, 3 looked better anyway
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    There's a bad vibe over this olympics, a feeling I've never caught before. There's local groups protesting the games as a waste of money. The weather's too warm and foggy. Someone died in practice. There was a major gaffe at the end of the opening ceremonies.
    Spoiler:
    The gaffe heard 'round the world -- Vancouver organizers had planned for four Olympic cauldrons to be lit by Canada's most famous athletes, but a mechanical error prevented one of the massive torches from rising from the floor of BC Place. Former hockey star Wayne Gretzky, two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash and Alpine skiing legend Nancy Green were able to light their cauldrons, but speedskater Catriona Lemay Doan was left with her flame when the fourth torch failed to emerge from underneath the stadium. It was an embarrassing end to an otherwise flawless Opening Ceremony. Instead of the indelible memory of four cauldron-lighters, this ceremony will be most remembered for the cauldron that wouldn't rise.
    What the heck? I don't ever remember so much going wrong with an olympics. Even the poisonous Chinese air....

News flash - local groups have protested games before. I've seen it happen, personally. Hell, Wildman (I know I've linked ya'll to his frightening store before) had this really swell signs saying Olympukes go home.

Errors happen, Chacha. At least no one died at the opening ceremonies, right? Job well done. Unless, of course, their goal is to kill off all the competition so they can win medals.

I turned on the opening ceremonies last night when I got in bed. Worked better than sleeping pills, even.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    News flash - local groups have protested games before. I've seen it happen, personally. Hell, Wildman (I know I've linked ya'll to his frightening store before) had this really swell signs saying Olympukes go home.

Errors happen, Chacha. At least no one died at the opening ceremonies, right? Job well done. Unless, of course, their goal is to kill off all the competition so they can win medals.

I turned on the opening ceremonies last night when I got in bed. Worked better than sleeping pills, even.
    You are all over the place.
    The Rules

I can see the olympic torch from my house!

It's glowy!

I love watching the Olympics, but I must say, they have not started out well at all.

Only in Canada would something as exciting as the cauldron lighting fail. Oh wait, there was Sydney too.
    Just have the cauldron already in place (like the second one in Vancouver) and light it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky View Post
    I can see the olympic torch from my house!

It's glowy!
    Hey, you're qualified to be on the International Olympic Committy!
    The Rules

You mean the Anti-American Committee?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilChameleon09 View Post
    You mean the Anti-American Committee?
    Uh, noooo. I was taking an admittedly lame swipe at Sarah Palin.
    The Rules

I actually can see it from my house though...

It wouldn't happen to be glowy, by any chance, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky View Post
    I actually can see it from my house though...
    Oh, I totally believe you. Is it crowded with lots of security and stuff there?
    The Rules

So who was the genius that built the luge track with 8" steel pylons alongside it?
    Such is Life...

My daughter was watching skiing earlier and left the teevee on, and I watched a little of the luge competition before I turned it off. I'm pretty sure I'd rather jump out of a plane than ever do that.

That takes fucking insanity.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Not watching any of it because no TV. And this is one of those rare times I regret not having a television, because I would have liked to watch the figure-skating.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm pretty sure you can watch it online. If you live in the US, try NBCOlympics.com, and if you live in Canada, try the CTV website.