Thread: Any Accountants (CA or CPA) Here?

Default Any Accountants (CA or CPA) Here?

Although I have carpet bombed my friends' parents with questions and my seniors, it's always nice to have a variety of opinions.

Not sure, but plenty of knowledgable people who deal with numbers and business if you want to ask away!

Don't do it! It's the most boring profession ever. It was my original career choice before I figured out how brain-numbing it was.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Really? Were you an accounting or a CPA? Because the CPAs I have been speaking too are all lobbyists and have their own tax/auditing business amongst a myriad of other things. They told me it was a good choice. AND I CAN MAKE IT RAIN. RAIN THEY SAY!

I know two people who started studying accountancy, one loves it, one hates it and quit. It's very much personal. I guess comparing it to Ness' thread on number theory - a lot of people would find math like that incredibly boring, some people find it intensely interesting and love it. It seems to me quite dry and mind numbing.. unless you can see the beauty behind the numbers, i suppose.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I'm probably prejudiced, but I would imagine accounting is mostly rote math, not actual mathematics where 'beauty' is to be found.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

There's the quiet solitary pleasure of optimisation on the one hand, the certain knowledge that you will probably just end up pissing people off and destroying companies on the other.

What else is on your list?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I'm probably prejudiced, but I would imagine accounting is mostly rote math, not actual mathematics where 'beauty' is to be found.
    I meant the beauty in using the laws to order the numbers, and looking in the rules to use them and keep more money. I don't see the beauty, am sure some people can. Or they find bringing order to chaos nice, I don't know.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Really? Were you an accounting or a CPA? Because the CPAs I have been speaking too are all lobbyists and have their own tax/auditing business amongst a myriad of other things. They told me it was a good choice. AND I CAN MAKE IT RAIN. RAIN THEY SAY!
    Accounting. I didn't get past the intro-level courses (on which I consistently had the highest grades in the class). I also worked part-time in a job that required some accounting knowledge, and I've spent more than enough time around accountants (I was in the accounting department). No idea about CPAs; as far as I know, they pay less for more work.

Better yet, it's repeating the same operations over and over again. Only the chief accountant gets to make any kind of changes to what is done or how it's done. Pretty much everyone I know in accounting is in it for the money or the ease of obtaining employment (everyone needs an accountant!).

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Better yet, it's repeating the same operations over and over again.
    So, why are we paying people to do the job computers were designed to do, and are better at doing? Or is there going to be some pretty slack jawed looks on people's faces when they realize that their desktop PC lacks an ego, is willing to work 24/7, and won't demand a dime from them, other than initial purchase costs, electricity, and upkeep? Also if it fucks up your books, no one is going to arrest and jail you if you beat it with a baseball bat then bury it in a landfill.
    . . .

Theoretically speaking, much of the work could probably be automated, but you'd still need people to make sure there are no foul ups.

Oh, just heard that the one person who did like it quit because she found out she hated the people and work environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Although I have carpet bombed my friends' parents with questions and my seniors, it's always nice to have a variety of opinions.
    My wife is a chartered accountant and tax adviser (ACA & CTA) here in the UK, working for one of the big four. If you have a question about what the job is like we'll try to help. Can't help with any technical questions though.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    So, why are we paying people to do the job computers were designed to do, and are better at doing?
    Because 1. GIGO, 2. Accountants also serve as consultants that help companies learn how to manage money and efficiently structure their operations 3. They help in the making of strategically important decisions such as striking large deals etc 4. They fight crime

I think it bears mentioning that a non-insignificant fraction of the ongoing economical turmoil was caused by letting computers autonomously make investments. At some point the axioms in their programming ceased matching up with reality, and whoops
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Accounting. I didn't get past the intro-level courses (on which I consistently had the highest grades in the class). I also worked part-time in a job that required some accounting knowledge, and I've spent more than enough time around accountants (I was in the accounting department). No idea about CPAs; as far as I know, they pay less for more work.
    Ah, I'm going to be immersed in a lot of accounting courses starting this year and then auditing next year. Apparently the intro-level classes are in fact boring, but once you start digging deeper, it becomes more interesting, or so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    What else is on your list?
    Are you speaking to me or Ness?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I meant the beauty in using the laws to order the numbers, and looking in the rules to use them and keep more money. I don't see the beauty, am sure some people can. Or they find bringing order to chaos nice, I don't know.
    To the tax accountants I've spoken to, they seem to really enjoy finding ways to exploit loopholes. I presume novel methods could fire up your dopamine receptors.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    My wife is a chartered accountant and tax adviser (ACA & CTA) here in the UK, working for one of the big four. If you have a question about what the job is like we'll try to help. Can't help with any technical questions though.
    Cool! As long as I don't fail out of university, I should be hired right out of university by one of the big fours (the program I'm in is reputable and they collaborate with the commerce department on pretty much a weekly basis). And thanks for the offer! I'll be sure to take you up on it.

I think it bears mentioning that a non-insignificant fraction of the ongoing economical turmoil was caused by letting computers autonomously make investments. At some point the axioms in their programming ceased matching up with reality, and whoops
    We're talking about moving data that's input in one place into a variety of spreadsheets, making sure everything was entered correctly, and looking for trends in the data. Pretty sure even I could program something that would do most of this work for at least some types of companies if given a few months.

Silly me, I thought this was a question about accounting. Not becoming an accountant.

We're talking about moving data that's input in one place into a variety of spreadsheets, making sure everything was entered correctly, and looking for trends in the data. Pretty sure even I could program something that would do most of this work for at least some types of companies if given a few months.
    And it would be awesome until it broke

Conversely, I'm fairly certain we're at a technological level where we could eliminate human participation in manual labour, but we do not have an economic system capable of dealing with that. It's all fairly meaningless given social inertia.

Not for less than the cost of said manual labour we couldn't.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Nor did I claim otherwise, it's just an observation that we value iPods over human lives.

Wha...what is this; i don't even.

Nor did I claim otherwise, it's just an observation that we value iPods over human lives.
    Must be why the penalty for stealing/destroying an iPod is life.

No, no, no, it's about the cost of the "affordable" iPod industry.

Must be why the penalty for stealing/destroying an iPod is life.
    If you're retarded and in Texas, you betcha! It's a race between the victim and the state, really.