Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RomneyRyan 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Probably a desperation move to solidify the base. Not the best pick, but not exactly a disastrous one. I doubt it makes much of a difference (it probably won't in Wisconsin, where Romney is down 7%). Picking a popular figure from Ohio or Virginia or picking a Hispanic might have mattered more, but this all assumes a much closer race than we're seeing right now.
    Okay, that's election strategy, and not a bad analysis. But what about the ideology?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I don't mind an extreme fiscal conservative. I know he's never going to get enough support from his own party, let alone from the majority of Congress, to get his more extreme policies passed. If he pushes the debate in the direction of fiscal sanity, that can only be a good thing. Would I prefer someone like Christie or Rubio? Sure. Would Romney allow any VP significant influence over policy? Highly unlikely.
    Hope is the denial of reality

You're interesting when you're (hopefully) being honest!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Do I have any reason to be dishonest here? You going to tell my Congressman?

I always assumed it was your pride, but obviously I cannot know.

I don't mind an extreme fiscal conservative.
    That's the difference between you and me. You don't mind one, I want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    That's the difference between you and me. You don't mind one, I want one.
    That's kinda unfortunate for you because as vice president he's going to be pretty much meaningless. He';; be more useful the way you want if he stayed in the House, chairing the budget committee. The only thing gained in that regard from him being the running-mate is a higher profile for him in 2016.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    That's kinda unfortunate for you because as vice president he's going to be pretty much meaningless. He';; be more useful the way you want if he stayed in the House, chairing the budget committee. The only thing gained in that regard from him being the running-mate is a higher profile for him in 2016.
    For which I've already said I think the GOP have already lost November's election but someone like Ryan would be the right man for the main job in '16
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Not much of a chance of him winning the nomination; even less chance of him winning the whole thing.

I don't know, to be frank I can't imagine Romney winning no matter who he picked, but I think Ryan would make a solid POTUS and hope this'll boost his profile for next time.
    We'll see. Obama has broken a chain of promises and the economy still isn't doing well. How many presidents have won re-election when the economy has had this level of unemployment?

I don't mind an extreme fiscal conservative. I know he's never going to get enough support from his own party, let alone from the majority of Congress, to get his more extreme policies passed. If he pushes the debate in the direction of fiscal sanity, that can only be a good thing. Would I prefer someone like Christie or Rubio? Sure. Would Romney allow any VP significant influence over policy? Highly unlikely.
    I'm cool with the government shutting down if congress don't play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    We'll see. Obama has broken a chain of promises and the economy still isn't doing well. How many presidents have won re-election when the economy has had this level of unemployment?
    Well, there's always FDR
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

FDR twice and Reagan in 1984 was pretty close. It's not just the absolute level of unemployment that matters. Changes in unemployment matter, and the unemployment rate is lower now than it was in 2009. It doesn't help that most people continue to blame Bush for the economic problems, which means it's harder for Romney to use the economy weapon against Obama. Plus demographics haven't been moving in the Republican favor in several of the swing states.
    Last edited by Loki; 08-13-2012 at 05:09 AM.

If this is real, Paul Ryan is in pretty good shape (Paul Ryan is apparently the one on the right).

Which, as we all know, is the only reasonable way to judge politicians.

http://gawker.com/5934025/would-you-hit-it-paul-ryan

Would You Hit It: Paul Ryan

Sure, we could talk about how Paul Ryan is the most ideologically conservative Republican to be picked for the vice-presidential slot since at least 1900. But why not spend some time discussing his rocking bod?
    TMZ broke the story that Ryan's workout routine is "P90X and insanity." Wow, I bet he gets super sweaty.

Meanwhile, the LA Times lets us know that Ryan, a former personal trainer, has 6 to 8 percent body fat. He also does cardio, karate, and yoga. That's a fitness regimen that even Michelle Obama would approve.

Six-pack aside, he's just a handsome motherfucker. I think Politico put it best — "Forget the budget: Paul Ryan is hot!"

So here it is, the question we need to be asking America: would you fuck Paul Ryan?

Leave his ideology out of it. Or better yet, don't. This could be hate sex.

Is it immature to focus on a candidate's appearance instead of on his policies? Perhaps. But if so much of the media is going to spend time on his sculpted physique, we might as well join in. Not to mention the fact that, as a gay man, I get perverse pleasure from objectifying a virulently anti-LGBT politician.

Admit your weakness: are you sexually attracted to a man whose policies you abhor? Also, do you think he'd be a good lay? Show your work.

You're using gawker and TMZ.

TMZ, beside being an online version of your checkout tabloid trash, they are also the ones who published the photshopped image of Steve Jobs, and stood by them when they were called on it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

FDR twice and Reagan in 1984 was pretty close. It's not just the absolute level of unemployment that matters. Changes in unemployment matter, and the unemployment rare is lower now than it was in 2009. It doesn't help that most people continue to blame Bush for the economic problems, which means it's harder for Romney to use the economy weapon against Obama. Plus demographics haven't been moving in the Republican favor in several of the swing states.
    I'm pretty sure the unemployment rate is higher now then when Obama took office. And while Obama can play the blame Bush card its going to be a bit difficult to to campaign on the powerful slogan of "I need more time..." Shrug, maybe I'm an optimist but I don't think Obama is going to get a pass on the economy.

I think Dread's post is ideologically safe for you OG, the quote was not exactly a positive piece.

I'm pretty sure the unemployment rate is higher now then when Obama took office. And while Obama can play the blame Bush card its going to be a bit difficult to to campaign on the powerful slogan of "I need more time..." Shrug, maybe I'm an optimist but I don't think Obama is going to get a pass on the economy.
    It was 8.3% on February 1, 2009, and it's 8.3% right now. Of course, the unemployment rate went up by another percent in the first few months of Obama's presidency, something for which he can't exactly be held responsible.

The polls don't lie. Not only is Romney behind in a vast majority of national polls, but he's behind in almost all swing state polls. He needs to increase his numbers by at least 3% and for Obama to fall a similar amount in order to have a realistic chance of winning. Such bounces (that are sustained) are hard to come by at this stage of the election cycle.

Ah but wasn't the whole point of Obama's wasting hundreds of billions on stimulus to change the unemployment situation? On that he's surely failed.

I think Dread's post is ideologically safe for you OG, the quote was not exactly a positive piece.
    shit sources are shit sources
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It wasn't a serious source posted in a serious manner

Are there better sources you'd recommend for deciding whether or not you'd fuck Ryan?

It wasn't a serious source posted in a serious manner

Are there better sources you'd recommend for deciding whether or not you'd fuck Ryan?
    Wasn't referring to the sex part. I admit thats more common with TMZ and their regular "who would you rather" posts, and seeing it in Gawker is a new low, but I was referring to the workout claims. 6% bodyfat is pushing the boundaries on the body's essential fat. Its a important claim to make cause for someone in Ryan's position of non-athletics, its a suggestion of an addiction.

He is a fine looking guy, and those two being so close make for some great gay marriage campaign material.

------
    Veldan Rath should love this one:

If the 6(-8)% body fat was your sole objection then that's claimed to be sourced from the LA Times. No idea how credible a source you consider that ...?

Was looking more at the addiction side, with TMZ reporting daily 6am fierce workouts of a skinny but ripped VP hopeful.

Staying healthy is good, but there are limits to it, the blurb here is suggesting he hasn't been able to adjust away from his previous bouts of being a trainer or professional skiier. Looks good from the side of a party having trouble connecting with the people, if the US wasn't so god damn overweight, but its a possible personality problem.

Seriously? You're that much of a hyper-partisan? I'll make sure to go to the local gym early in the morning and tell everyone there they have personality disorders.

yes, because that is what I said nor did I just call out the sources or the claim.

What you've said is that your brain ceases to function when politics become involved. You're as bad as the idiot who claims Obama is gay because he had a male roommate and wore a ring at the time.

I don't believe for a second OG that you'd have made such a partisan attack against someone for being healthy if they had a (D) next to their name.

Wasn't referring to the sex part. I admit thats more common with TMZ and their regular "who would you rather" posts, and seeing it in Gawker is a new low, but I was referring to the workout claims. 6% bodyfat is pushing the boundaries on the body's essential fat. Its a important claim to make cause for someone in Ryan's position of non-athletics, its a suggestion of an addiction.
    You're shitting us. You're actually trying to make his body-fat percentage a cause for public concern? What is wrong with you?

I don't believe for a second OG that you'd have made such a partisan attack against someone for being healthy if they had a (D) next to their name.
    I didn't attack anyone

I responded to (wasn't even a disagreement) Dread's remark on the likelihood of this being real by pointing out the shit sources. I then had to explain to you twice about why I thought it was shit. I made it as a clear as possible in saying that the problems were in the suggestions, and the writing style, and whats the article could possibly (even used the word up there) implying.

You're shitting us. You're actually trying to make his body-fat percentage a cause for public concern?
    No. In fact I corrected Rand's similar remark only a couple of replies ago.