Thread: School Choice

Default School Choice

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/28/opinio...ice-louisiana/

"In most of America, children are victims of a ZIP code lottery; their education depends on the social status of their parents. If you are born into a home in a good school district, or your parents can afford private school tuition, you'll be OK. If not, you are subject to whatever the government provides, good or bad.

Despite the ability for school choice to change this, the left fights to stop it, in the name of union special interests and on the spurious grounds that it will harm public education.

This is nonsense. The hypocrisy that the left perpetuates is this: Poor parents are not allowed school choice, but rich parents can buy it.

But not in New Orleans, not in Louisiana and not on my watch. Thanks to the reforms we passed, the dollars follow the child instead of the child following the dollars. That means every child has the opportunity to go to any school, regardless of geography or income."

While Jindal is not a perfect candidate by any stretch of the imagination I absolutely applaud what he has done in Louisiana when it comes to schools.

"The turnaround since 2005 shows a true Louisiana comeback:

-- Before Katrina, only 54% of students in the city were graduating from high school on time; now 73% are.

-- Before Katrina, the percentage of New Orleans' students on grade level was 35%; now it's 63%.

-- Before Katrina, only 32% of black students in New Orleans were at or above grade level, compared to 40% of black students statewide. Now, 59% of black students were at or above grade level compared to 54% statewide.

-- Before Katrina, 64% of schools were considered failing; now, about 11% are, even though we have raised the bar for what constitutes failure several times since.

For students attending private schools on public dollars, almost all of whom arrived several years behind, their lives are being turned around. The percentage of students who are on grade level in third grade English grew by 20 percentage points and in math by 28 percentage points between 2008 and 2013.

Despite all this, the Obama administration's Justice Department sued the state of Louisiana, unsuccessfully, on the notion that our scholarship program may be racially discriminatory. I am not making that up.

Before they wasted everyone's time, someone should have told them that nearly 90% of children in the program are minority students and all of them entered it voluntarily. A majority of educators in New Orleans are also minorities, as are more than half of school principals. So are the majority of community volunteers on school boards."

Liberals love the race card. It really is a pity that they are so entrenched with the teacher's union (probably one of the scummiest unions in existence). You would think liberals would LOVE the idea of giving poor people a chance to attend the 'rich kids' school. That is what school choice is about. It is about empowering parents to send their kids to wherever they want using existing tax dollars that were already being allocated by virtue of district lottery. +10 for Jindal.

Those stats ignore all the poor people who've left New Orleans during Katrina and never came back. The hurricane had a huge "gentrifying" effect.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Is it really true that Katrina gentrified New Orleans? Why would the better off return to a devastated city but the poor not do so?

Even if it had an impact the numbers are so dramatic that I don't think that can be the only factor. To go from 32% of black students at or above grade level compared to 59% now seems a very significant change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10469846.html

I think maybe some people should think twice before trying to claim all the credit
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Is it really true that Katrina gentrified New Orleans? Why would the better off return to a devastated city but the poor not do so?

Even if it had an impact the numbers are so dramatic that I don't think that can be the only factor. To go from 32% of black students at or above grade level compared to 59% now seems a very significant change.
    The better off didn't leave at the same rate. The hurricane overwhelmingly affected poor areas.

I thought pretty much the whole city was ordered to evacuate at the time, not just certain areas?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Many of the poorest areas were completely destroyed. The effect in richer areas varied.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I thought pretty much the whole city was ordered to evacuate at the time, not just certain areas?
    Areas with poorer residents were completely destroyed and weren't rebuilt to the same extent or were turned into more expensive areas. Poorer residents and esp those who had subsidised housing of some sort have either not been able to return or "chosen" to settle down somewhere else. The demographics wrt both race and socioeconomic status have changed a lot since Katrina and it's very iffy to attribute all the apparently positive changes in the measures cited in the OP to charter schools. It should also be noted that those schools, compared to schools in many other places, are still not amazing
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Even if not all the changes are due to Katrina, the changes are so dramatic that it seems likely that some of the changes aren't related.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I was thinking that and nearly added it to my post. Hence my word likely and not definitely.

Except we have absolutely no reason to believe that without other evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10469846.html

I think maybe some people should think twice before trying to claim all the credit
    Even if we use your source...

"That has had implications. Before Katrina struck, New Orleans was 67 per cent African American: today the percentage stands at 59 per cent. There are around 80,000 fewer black people than in 2005."

And then we go back to Jindal's:

-- Before Katrina, only 54% of students in the city were graduating from high school on time; now 73% are.

-- Before Katrina, the percentage of New Orleans' students on grade level was 35%; now it's 63%.

-- Before Katrina, only 32% of black students in New Orleans were at or above grade level, compared to 40% of black students statewide. Now, 59% of black students were at or above grade level compared to 54% statewide.

-- Before Katrina, 64% of schools were considered failing; now, about 11% are, even though we have raised the bar for what constitutes failure several times since.

So while school choice may not have been EVERYTHING it certainly seems to account for more than the change in population.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Even if we use your source...

"That has had implications. Before Katrina struck, New Orleans was 67 per cent African American: today the percentage stands at 59 per cent. There are around 80,000 fewer black people than in 2005."

And then we go back to Jindal's:

So while school choice may not have been EVERYTHING it certainly seems to account for more than the change in population.
    In other words, sending "certain" populations to other cities or states made school stats "look" better?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    In other words, sending "certain" populations to other cities or states made school stats "look" better?
    It's kinda like he sees Michelle Rhee (I mean Johnson) as the angel who connivingly helped make DC schools look a lot better than they were at the time.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Did you read the entire thread? I mean seriously GGT keep up. Clearly the % gains far outweigh the % change in population. Unless you're some kind of racist that thinks that just the mere presence of more black kids will bring down other students.

In my city you cannot go to a school out of your zone unless you meet certain racial quotas and apply for a lottery. In other words, if a school is mostly white and you're not in that district/zone, and you are also white, you can't go there because racial quotas require more black and Hispanic people there since that's the make-up of the city at large. It's completely racist. Charter schools exist here but are a (non-racist) lottery.

In the end, it should be all about competition between school principals to make their school the best in the area and get rewarded for it appropriately, not about (supposed) racial quotas, or worse, the false supposition of seat scarcity.

We have school choice in my county, though it requires the chosen school to have space and students from failing schools get priority.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    We have school choice in my county, though it requires the chosen school to have space and students from failing schools get priority.
    No racial quotas? If so, it seems reasonable.