Thread: IE 10, Metro

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

Default IE 10, Metro

Just a short report: The Metro (or whatever they call it now) version of IE 10 does not like the text area for some reason:

• The enter key does not work (as in: does not insert a new paragraph)
    • Hitting the submit button yields the "Do you really want to leave this page?" dialog one usually gets when leaving the page while having entered something into the text box.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Oh god, another browser to support.

Is this your primary browser now, or can I drag my feet a bit?

Naw, isn't the primary. Just thought you should know

edit: Just tested, it's both the desktop and the Metro versions which have the problems.

FFS MS, why can't you just get IE to work
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    FFS MS, why can't you just get IE to work
    Let me educate you on the world of software, Rand.

So, here we have one piece of browser which has some kind of flaw, forcing developers to create a browser-detection and work around the flaw.

Now, suddenly, a new version of said browser doesn't have said flaw anymore. However, the browser detection is still there - and this time actually creates the problem it's trying to fix.

So, Rand, unless you can tell us what exactly went wrong, I wouldn't be so quick to lay the blame here, hmmh? Unless, of course, you don't want them to fix bugs?

Let me educate you on the world of hostility, Khend.

So, here we have one piece of hostility which has some kind of flaw, forcing posters to create a hostility-detection and work around the hostility.

Now, suddenly, a new version of said hostility doesn't have said source anymore. However, the hostility is still there - and this time actually creates the hostility it's trying to fix.

So, Khend, unless you can tell us what exactly went wrong, I wouldn't be so quick to lay the hostility here, hmmh? Unless, of course, you don't want them to fix hostility?

IE10 scores a clear 100 in Acid 3. I'm doubting its something the browser is getting wrong. These forums have several generic "if ie" tags in them.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Let me educate you on the world of software, Rand.
    Occam's Razor.

After so long of IE flouting basic standards-compliance the simplest explanation for a new browser breaking something that's working is MS have not implemented something standard.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

IE9 also scores well Acid3. Its not so much microsoft sticking its nose up at compliance, its that they can't shake the public's stubborn memory of IE6.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

uhm, I've also gotten the "Do you really want to leave this page" alert. Not very often, and I don't know why. I just figured the problem was on my end, since I'm one of those idiot end-users.

IE9 also scores well Acid3. Its not so much microsoft sticking its nose up at compliance, its that they can't shake the public's stubborn memory of IE6.
    Given that it took Microsoft half a decade before they could be bothered to deal with IE6 and its many people's last usage of IE for that reason its not the public that was stubborn. Respect is hard-won but easily-lost.

Occam's Razor.

After so long of IE flouting basic standards-compliance the simplest explanation for a new browser breaking something that's working is MS have not implemented something standard.
    You're obviously doing Occam's Razor wrong, then. And haven't looked too hard at the later versions of IE.

What is the explanation that makes the fewest assumptions as to why a website that works perfectly on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and other browsers across multiple devices and operating systems is suddenly and uniquely broken by the new IE? Is it that there's a fault with the site [that doesn't display on the other standard browsers] or is it that there's an issue with IE itself?

If the fault is because of an "Is IE" code then that's due to Microsoft's own historic failures and not Wraith's.
    You're obviously doing Occam's Razor wrong, then. And haven't looked too hard at the later versions of IE.
    Why should I look hard at them? Do I work for MS or is there some glaring catastrophe wrong with Firefox/Chrome/Safari etc?

Microsoft laid their bed with IE6 and their failure to fix its huge problems until well after Mozilla etc

Yes, Rand, you have no clue when it comes to browsers and you've just shown that, again. Would you now kindly shut up before you embarass yourself again?

My dear, Occam's Razor is a tool and if you're unable to wield it, then you should consider not using it. Just like a hammer, not everything is a nail. You'd find yourself right at home at Slashdot. They have a real hard-on for hating Microsoft on the drop of a hat.

IE6 and its many people's last usage of IE
    This is false.

While Mozilla and Opera did see an increase after IE6, the percentage in increase of users was in the single digits. When Chrome came along they consumed the base of the other 3rd party browsers before they started to eat away at IE, and that started only recently. While Chrome may claim to sit at 50% of the worldwide usage, those claims are in question since every search in the combined bar in Chrome opens a hidden tab, which would double their usage numbers.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-27-2012 at 01:09 PM.

But Rand, IE is the standard. You said that yourself
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yes, Rand, you have no clue when it comes to browsers and you've just shown that, again. Would you now kindly shut up before you embarass yourself again?

My dear, Occam's Razor is a tool and if you're unable to wield it, then you should consider not using it. Just like a hammer, not everything is a nail. You'd find yourself right at home at Slashdot. They have a real hard-on for hating Microsoft on the drop of a hat.
    Will you kindly shoot the message and not the messenger? I've been making points which you may find dubious but you've done nothing but sling insults. Are you perhaps too embarrassed to actually be productive?

As for Occam's Razor I know full well it's a tool, and my usage of it was perfectly valid.

This is false.

While Mozilla and Opera did see an increase after IE6, the percentage in increase of users was in the single digits. When Chrome came along they consumed the base of the other 3rd party browsers before they started to eat away at IE, and that started only recently. While Chrome may claim to sit at 50% of the worldwide usage, those claims are in question since every search in the combined bar in Chrome opens a hidden tab, which would double their usage numbers.
    Single digits? Where are you getting that from? Most figures I've seen put Mozilla usage alone between 10% upto about a quarter or more by the release of IE7.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Figures vary from source to source but this one says IE had a market share of 62% in Sept '06 and 60% in Nov. IE6 was released in October so that puts nearly 40% not using IE already by then despite it having near universal dominance before. Other sources I've seen put the figure at about 80% market share. Plus on top of that of course its far from true that everyone on release day switched from 6 to 7 - in fact a further 5 years on people are still using 6, although there's been a sharp decline in recent years (as there's been a decline in overall IE usage).

Will you kindly shoot the message and not the messenger? I've been making points which you may find dubious but you've done nothing but sling insults. Are you perhaps too embarrassed to actually be productive?

As for Occam's Razor I know full well it's a tool, and my usage of it was perfectly valid.
    "FFS MS, why can't you just get IE to work"? That is a "point"? That's "herp-derp I don't know what I'm talking about" - at maximum.

I just answered in kind - if you don't want to be receiving insults then maybe you should watch your language from time to time. After all, you seem to be perfectly happy to use insults like "FFS".

"FFS MS, why can't you just get IE to work"? That is a "point"? That's "herp-derp I don't know what I'm talking about" - at maximum.

I just answered in kind - if you don't want to be receiving insults then maybe you should watch your language from time to time. After all, you seem to be perfectly happy to use insults like "FFS".
    Really that's an insult is it? Who on this forum is it supposed to be insulting? Nobody of course, the truth is it was just a single line regarding more work because caused for Wraith by this. And you consider that to be an insult? If you want to get MS here on the forum perhaps I'll consider apologising to them, didn't realise they were though

As for points how about this that's been (deliberately) ignored?
    What is the explanation that makes the fewest assumptions as to why a website that works perfectly on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and other browsers across multiple devices and operating systems is suddenly and uniquely broken by the new IE? Is it that there's a fault with the site [that doesn't display on the other standard browsers] or is it that there's an issue with IE itself?

If the fault is because of an "Is IE" code then that's due to Microsoft's own historic failures and not Wraith's.
    I regularly use the site on Windows 7 using Chrome and Firefox, on iOS (iPhone and iPad) using Safari and never have these problems. I believe others use IE and don't either, others Mac and some use Android and its browsers etc ... yet all of the sudden there's a problem with this site on a new IE browser and its a grave insult apparently to suggest that it might just be MS's fault rather than Wraiths? Oh the horror.

Again if there's an "Is IE" code then that's Microsoft's own fault [after now more than a decade since IE 6 was launched] besides which backwards-compatibility is a normal expectation of new products so if the new browser fails to be backwards compatible with many sites online that work perfectly on other browsers then that's a problem.

Single digits? Where are you getting that from? Most figures I've seen put Mozilla usage alone between 10% upto about a quarter or more by the release of IE7.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Figures vary from source to source but this one says IE had a market share of 62% in Sept '06 and 60% in Nov. IE6 was released in October so that puts nearly 40% not using IE already by then despite it having near universal dominance before. Other sources I've seen put the figure at about 80% market share. Plus on top of that of course its far from true that everyone on release day switched from 6 to 7 - in fact a further 5 years on people are still using 6, although there's been a sharp decline in recent years (as there's been a decline in overall IE usage).
    You're either misreading the chart, or my post. I'm referring to the increase of users to other browsers after IE6. Since you claimed that IE6 was many people's last IE. No idea what weasel amount "many" is, but in the time span between the releases of IE6 (which your chart doesn't even record) and IE7 the transition to other browsers was small. The surge to Firefox didn't happen until well into IE7's lifespan, right before IE8 was released. When IE7 dropped IE was still the main browser, and it took another 2 years before it fell under 50% usage (which would be only 10% of IE users who were there during the IE7 release, or ~35% if you go all the way back to the beginning of your chart).

Your source is lacking in the fact that its not tracking browser versions, which I've sure you looked over before since you've made the correct claim about IE6 still hanging around. You're also looking at a biased recording. Those stats are coming from W3Schools' loads only, thats a far cry from your average user. Even with such a slanted source you can't back up the claim you made.

I believe others use IE and don't either, others Mac and some use Android and its browsers etc ... yet all of the sudden there's a problem with this site on a new IE browser and its a grave insult apparently to suggest that it might just be MS's fault rather than Wraiths? Oh the horror.
    I use IE8 and IE9 and this forum is always throwing up errors about leaving the page when I post and invalid redirect urls. I've mentioned these before in the feedback threads.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-27-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Again if there's an "Is IE" code then that's Microsoft's own fault [after now more than a decade since IE 6 was launched] besides which backwards-compatibility is a normal expectation of new products so if the new browser fails to be backwards compatible with many sites online that work perfectly on other browsers then that's a problem.
    You can only be so much "backwards compatible". Unless you now want to tell us that you expect them to carry the same errors through all new versions without ever having the chance to fix something?

"Backwards compatibility", Rand, does not mean "not fixing errors". It means "keeping older APIs around". You've just shown again that you know nothing of software development.

Wow, this thread is super awesome and not retarded!

Anyway, since IE has been standards compliant since 9 and most standards compliant since 8 it's probably time to drop the IF IE hacks if they're causing problems for proper browsers. At this point, if you're on IE 8 or 7 then you deserve to be unhappy and if this website not working proper would in any way contribute to your unhappiness then I'm all in favour.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 08-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Wow, this thread is super awesome and not retard!
    Hello, welcome to tWF outside the megathreads
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

But that's all the tWF I know.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    At this point, if you're on IE 8 or 7 then you deserve to be unhappy and if this website not working proper would in any way contribute to your unhappiness then I'm all in favour.
    Exactly this. We're not The New York Times, or The Wall Street Journal. Upgrade.
    . . .

A simple, reasonable and testable explanation is that the demonstrably very standards-compliant IE10 on windows 8 is not properly handled by vBulletin's older code. I think you are misusing Occam's razor in this case. Moreover, I don't think Occam's razor automatically trumps facts and it should not be used as a substitute for data. Re. "Microsoft's own historic failures", well, you did wonder why Microsoft "can't get IE to work"... live in the present/future eh
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

How is this conversation even worth having?

Justice, education
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

This, by the way, is the error if I press "enter" while typing in the text box:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'toLowerCase' of undefined or null reference
    ckeditor.js, line 31 character 1241