Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Should those who don't work be able to afford booze and fags?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I had fun in DC as a kid. Free museums, most of which were setup in a kid friendly way, the USPS and its bags of old stamps, the US mint and the printing machines, reaching the top of the washington monument, even the vietnam wall felt important. No doubt I'd understand it all more now than I did back then, but that goes for most things in life, including theme parks.
    I dare say even building a castle in the sand beats waiting in line for the umpteenth variation of the same ride. The castle itself probably is also more authentic than what passes for a castle at Disney.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I believe in having a welfare system that provides essentials to those who need it: food, water, shelter.

But luxuries? Shouldn't these be bought from the proceeds of actually working? I don't see how society benefits by our taxes going on booze, cigarettes and drugs.
    It keeps them content.

Also - do you think health care and education are essentials?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Since this thread has derailed a while ago....

For family vacations when I was a kid, my parents balanced it out. For example, our Florida trip consisted of not only Disney World (just Magic Kingdom and Epcot), Universal Studios (Islands of Adventure didn't exist yet), and Sea World, but we also visited St. Augustine to see the old town area, the Bastille de San Marco, and Ripley's. We also drove down to Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center. There was no launch that time but we explored the grounds and visitor center.

DC was also very interesting to us, because our parents started us going to museums very early in life. We walked the memorials, the Smithsonian buildings, even the zoo. If nothing else it is very pretty with all of the trees lining the roads.

Now that perspective comes from me as the oldest child, ans we didn't really do vacations until I was 9 (youngest kid was 5). I plan on doing the same thing when we do vacations if possible.

Hell, going to Sea World (and later whale watching in Maine) was what made me want to be a marine biologist. A dream never truly realized though I have worked for an aquatic facility in the past. My sister works in the astrological field. My brother works in DC! So maybe those side trips to educational facilities do leave an impression, eh?

Anyway, sorry to further the train wreck that is this thread.

I will say that if and when we do go to Disney, we'll probably be staying "on the compound" as I like to call their Resort area, so I don't expect that trip to be educational unless you count Epcot's different areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I will say that if and when we do go to Disney, we'll probably be staying "on the compound" as I like to call their Resort area, so I don't expect that trip to be educational unless you count Epcot's different areas.
    Orlando?

If you're going to spend that type of cash, the rooms at Disney's Animal Kingdom butt up against a free range zoo area. If you don't mind giraffes peaking into the room. Most of the resorts are focused around children with lots of educational programs scheduled through the day and night.

We resort hop over there every couple of months, lots of free stuff to do once you're inside the "compound."
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Yes ,Orlando. I would LOVE to do Animal Kingdom Lodge, but with our budget we'll probably do the new Art of Animation resort unless AAA can get us a great deal. That makes me want to backtrack my earlier post; because Animal Kingdom does have some potential in learning about other continents and animals.

Yes, staying "on the compound" is worth it for all the perks, so I'd be happy to forgo doing IoA or Sea World if we go. Plus we usually go at the same time as my husband's cousin's family does, and they only stay in Disney (usually the Wilderness Lodge, which we could afford back when there was no kid and we both had jobs).

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Also - do you think health care and education are essentials?
    Absolutely.