Thread: Nature, Abhorrence of Vacuum...blah, blah, and blah.

Default Nature, Abhorrence of Vacuum...blah, blah, and blah.

With our international community on the boards here...I would like to get the broad perspective of what they would like to see the role of the US of A on the world stage.

Would you like to see the US shrink it' military presence (closing of bases, pull back of the fleets, etc.) across the globe? What would take it's place? Would Europe want this? (Or only certain parts?)

How do you see the budding/fading world players reacting?

Do you like it the way it is? Maybe used a bit more judiciously?

This is not just for you furerners, but my fellow 'muerikan jerks as well.

If this seems to broad of a question, pick a portion and go at it.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Well, one point of spreading and expanding democratic virtues means it's not necessarily going to be in line with "our" American image or western expectations.

<I had some really great discussions/debates with Iranian students during the early 80's. They didn't want "our" anointed dictator Shah of Iran. They wanted to elect their own leaders, even if that meant a Khomeini Muslim leader.>

I think the U.S. should pull out and reduce the military by at least 1/3 of what it is. I'm tired of being ruled by corporations and their defense contracts. They'll ruin the U.S. as a country at the expense of making profit.

That seems to be the opinion of a large portion of young American voters anyways.
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

To me this question are aimed more for opinions rather than asking for facts. I will answer those question in that manner. (Yes Loki, this is kind of a disclaimer)
    Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Would you like to see the US shrink it' military presence (closing of bases, pull back of the fleets, etc.) across the globe? What would take it's place?
    Well I could imagine the US to close some bases in Europe, but maybe a shift is more necessary than a reduction.
    Would Europe want this? (Or only certain parts?)
    Europe doesn't have an option. Personally I would prefer a reduction on the old continent.
    How do you see the budding/fading world players reacting?
    Even if the US reduces a large portion it will still dominate most other players by far. With a declining Russia there is only one strong player left, China. So I expect the US to shift some of their expenses to their allies around the Chinese sea. Of course we should keep an eye on Iran too but currently I am more afraid of how Pakistan will develop.
    Do you like it the way it is? Maybe used a bit more judiciously?
    As long as our interest meet with the American in most issues there wont be a problem. So far this worked well, and the US didn't hesitated to do our dirty work as long as they could see some benefits for themselves.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Europe and the US are ideologically matched, on the whole.

With the fading of the Bear, the US should be (and is) starting to focus more on other emerging powers to whom it is ideologically opposed ... ie China, and to a much lesser extent, Iran.

Correct EJ, this was just a checking of the temperature of the room type question.

What do you mean Europe does not have an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    What do you mean Europe does not have an option?
    People have opinions, sometimes a government has one or a company. You need to by an entity in some way to have an opinion. Europe is not an entity, they EU is maybe somewhere close (but EU # Europe). But the EU doesn't have a common defense policy anyway.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Sigh...splitting hairs?

Okay...the individual sovereign nations of Europe.

Obviously some will have differing stances on such a potential reduction of US presence, so I clumsily was asking our individual members on the boards that are from those countries.