Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The single most important sociopoliticoeconomical change with bipartisan support

That's just restricting sales to adults. What about the quality of the "product" itself? Legal marijuana would need to be approved by the FDA, just like any other consumable food or drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Last I checked, the government isn't trying to limit the supply or alcohol or cigarettes. And while it puts high taxes on both, those taxes aren't prohibitive. I doubt most proponents of drug legalization want the same kind of restrictions (or lack thereof) on heroin and cocaine.
    So you'd want absolutely no restrictions on the sale of those drugs except perhaps banning sales to minors?
    SO what kind of extra restrictions would you be thinking of?
    As I mentioned above, even if drugs are legalized, there would be severe restrictions on their purchase and use, which means there would still be an important role for the black market.
    You are somewhat right here - recently they tried to make buying more restricted here. The result is that the cities where it has been implemented report up to a threefold increase in drugs related nuisances, arrests, etc., and all major cities where it is yet to be implemented oppose it. Of course all mayors opposed it all the time because it's a rather stupid law, but that didn't stop the national government from implementing it anyway.. but the government's changed now, so maybe it will be cancelled after all?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    That's just restricting sales to adults. What about the quality of the "product" itself? Legal marijuana would need to be approved by the FDA, just like any other consumable food or drug.
    Any legislation should treat it just like we do now. Otherwise some of the benefits of legalizing the drug won't occur.

Do you really deny that there are people that won't engage in a behavior as long as it's illegal?
    And do you really deny that there are people that just engage in a behavior because it is illegal?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    And do you really deny that there are people that just engage in a behavior because it is illegal?
    Which group do you think is bigger? After all, look at the amount of murders, rapes, and robberies taking place in society just because they're illegal.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Which group do you think is bigger? After all, look at the amount of murders, rapes, and robberies taking place in society just because they're illegal.
    1. weed is legal here, fewer people use it than in neighbouring countries. And I ask again: what kind of extra measures were you thinking of?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Any legislation should treat it just like we do now. Otherwise some of the benefits of legalizing the drug won't occur.
    So you're recognizing the validity of the FDA, after all. Wasn't that one of the federal agencies you wanted to scrap?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    So you're recognizing the validity of the FDA, after all. Wasn't that one of the federal agencies you wanted to scrap?
    Not scrap but I disagree with the FDA being too strict on experimental drugs. If a doctor and a patient want to try something unproven...that should be their choice.

Decriminalise drug use, say experts after six-year study
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Interesting article, and I hope the study's recommendations are put into effect.

Will take a lot to convince the Daily Mail readers of this country (ie the majority) that this is a good idea though.