Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XCom Enemy Unknown

Default XCom Enemy Unknown

Just started this, completed first tutorial mission and started second mission. So far I like it.

Having never played the original game, the classic game it sort of reminds me of is the original Syndicate, with the squad of characters you need to develop etc

One big personal bug bear though is just into the second mission the tutorial says to use the Mouse Wheel to change elevation. Great where do I find the mouse wheel on my touchpad* . In most games it's mouse wheel or certain keys/icon on screen, I don't see either obviously shown. In a Tactical game I see no reason there can't be any reason not to allow either alternative. I doubt I'm the only one to want to play on a Laptop.

* Supposedly if you touch one part of the touchpad in a certain place and then use another finger to scroll it acts as a mouse wheel but it rarely works and certainly isn't fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

F and C work to zoom in, out.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    One thing they did: They obviously did some kind of "cheat-prevention" with regards to loading saved games.

Because when I set out to capture an alien, the capture attack always missed - even with an 80% chance to hit and several reloads in a row. Probably precalculated at the beginning of a round or something like that.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    F and C work to zoom in, out.
    Thanks and G and T for non-elevation zooming.

Completed the tutorial now.
    Spoiler:
    Besides the scripted deaths in the first mission I've since lost 2 other troops, one of which had been promoted though only to Squaddie. Going as heavily as I can currently down the research path (getting scientists when I can) not sure how big of a difference it'll make.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Spoilery but very good advice:

Spoiler:
    Don't sell you alloys! I did, and simply kept a few for research purposes and it's biting me in the ass right now

@Khen
    Spoiler:
    I had a similar thing happening. I moved my sniper, but just before that the screen shifted. So instead of full cover, he dashed right in the middle of the killing zone. It was the beginning of the mission, so I wasn't worried. Played that turn because who knows, maybe the aliens will miss. Well, they so didn't. Sniper death, 2 guys panicked. Since this was a misclick, I reloaded to start the mission again. Right at every reload, one of the guys panics and shoots the sniper. Every time.

So I had to accept that my butterfingers killed my 16 kills, 7 missions sniper
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Save scummers!

I'm playing ironman.

My memorial is full of dead soldiers. Mostly rookies. If you ever find yourself running a military organization, do not let me anywhere near the new recruits. Seriously, I am the touch of death - if I so much as go near a recruit, they are likely to fall over dead on the spot.

A true Bolshevik
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Gah! I managed to finally capture a Muton - only to have his comrade pull a grenade and throw it into my Assaulter's general direction.

Assaulter went down with a critical wound and the Muton died from the blast. Grml.

Downloaded and playing.

Tutorial seems too long. Need to play f'real!

Some gameplay tips I've learnt the hard way (not plot spoilers):
    Spoiler:
    Satellites reduce panic by 2 on launch, their bonus is given at month end. So may as well launch at month end.
    Panic 5 seems to cause them to leave the project if its still panic 5 at month end only. I had India at 5 but they stayed a few days, launched satellite to bring them down and also launched satellite to bring 2 4 nations down, but next abduction picked both remaining 3s as my choice so I had Australia go to 5, couldn't save them so they left at month end. Had I saved the satellites I'd still have all 16.

Recruits take 3 days to become available once hired. So make sure you keep more than a few spares, I got to near end of June without ever recruiting but just had most of my 6 come back injured/KIA and next mission came the next day so I'm now about to play a mission with just 3.

Snipers can fire pistols on their second move. I didn't realise until it said on screen between missions once so kept ending their turn without shooting.

How to skip the intro movies

go to:

..\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config

Find the file DefaultEngine.ini and open it with a text editor (notepad works).

Find the section that says:
    ; PC Startup movies
    +StartupMovies=Logo_2KFiraxis
    +StartupMovies=UE3TechLogo
    +StartupMovies=LogoLegal_PCConsole
    +StartupMovies=1280x720_Black

In front of each of those + signs, add a semi colon ; so it ends up looking like this:
    ; PC Startup movies
    ;+StartupMovies=Logo_2KFiraxis
    ;+StartupMovies=UE3TechLogo
    ;+StartupMovies=LogoLegal_PCConsole
    ;+StartupMovies=1280x720_Black

Save the file and exit. Next time you launch the game it goes straight to the main menu.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I only get the 2 short movies then legal, not sure what the third is? May comment out legal but I actually think the first two are good mood setters while it loads . It only lasts a second anyway and I like seeing companies play with the logo into what they're making, Harry Potter (later films) with the Warner Bros logo was another example of that.

I found an annoyance: The camera is a bit wacky in the larger alien ships. Namely, it insists on reverting to showing me the roof whenever I switch soldiers inside the ship (i.e. going up one level) and it's also a bit problematic to select soldiers/pick the right spot to go to in some places.

Yep I find the same prob with the camera on the large ships.

Anyone know if two nations dropping off the council will likely present a problem? I take it you can't get them back ...

I've lost three. Hasn't been a problem so far.

I've had the large ship problem too. Ended up rotating angle of camera to be able to pick move spot.

I don't think you can gain lost ones back, just can't get their bonuses anymore. Guessing its be best then to lose a few from one continent than some from each. I think if you lose 8 it's Game Over.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yep I find the same prob with the camera on the large ships.

Anyone know if two nations dropping off the council will likely present a problem? I take it you can't get them back ...
    It's a problem in that you're condemning their innocent populations to untold alien atrocities. So only if you're a man with even a trace of human empathy.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Meh, it's only the Australians and Nigerians, no one that matters.

Spoiler:
    Glad they've retained the Chryssalids from the original XCOM, they were always the scariest.

This time though they've added the extra zombification step before the baby Chryssalid emerges. In the original it was just a straight transformation of your trooper to Chryssalid. Zombies are a nice touch

Have you guys tried multiplayer yet?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Meh, it's only the Australians and Nigerians, no one that matters.
    Spoiler:
    Glad they've retained the Chryssalids from the original XCOM, they were always the scariest.

This time though they've added the extra zombification step before the baby Chryssalid emerges. In the original it was just a straight transformation of your trooper to Chryssalid. Zombies are a nice touch
    LOL I lost the Aussies too.

Spoiler:
    So far Chryssalids seem to always kill if they reduce my troops to no health, for other enemies sometimes they go to bleeding out (so can be saved by either medikit or finishing mission in time) but Chryssalid deaths always seem to be final.

It helps when you have the 'Don't die on me' Foundry perk. My squaddies die by the dozens, but at least my elite guys get to live. In combination with the Support's perk, they can even go on fighting.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Foundry or Officer? I've not bought the officer one yet as its quite expensive. Next game going to play hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Foundry or Officer? I've not bought the officer one yet as its quite expensive. Next game going to play hardcore.
    Yeah, I meant the Officer Training.

Since it also has the 5 and 6 squadsize perks, I'm always (played twice ) quick to build that one. The Don't Die on Me costs $200 though, so it's not cheap either.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Restarted last night now that I'm - hopefully - well up on the learning curve. Was tempted to do hardkore mode but will stick with normal first time through.

One disappointment/complaint I have thus far is the generic-ness of the characters. They all have the same dull American male or female voice, regardless of where the trooper is from, be it Nigeria, China, England, or anywhere else.

They need to take a trick out of the classic Jagged Alliance, another turn-based tactical game, where each and every trooper was entirely individual, with the Russian muttering everything in Russian under his breath, the Brit sounding like a posh Eton type, the Aussie a carefree beerswiller etc. It really made you connect with and care for each and every one, and if one was killed it was a tragedy. Jagged Alliance was around in the 1990s ... games should have moved on, not gone backwards.

In XCOM, if a trooper dies, it's a shrug of the shoulders and a rehire. Plus they seem to be promoted awfully quickly.

~

Also, has anyone noticed that you get Brits denoted with a Union flag, yet you also get Scotsmen separated out and denoted by the Saltire? WTF?

~

Spoiler:
    Anyone played through the alien base yet? Seen that mechanical hovering disk, that unfurls and opens out into an insane, gun-wielding robotoid thing? Fucking superb. Blew away one of my heavies that did. Nice touch.

Spoiler:
    I hate the alien base. Crappy cover. The disc things pop up,in other areas as well. If it wasn't for that 72 minute live gameplay thing, I'd not have known to get Heat Ammo for my Heavies. Boy I'm glad I did when those bastards come bobbing along

The one thing I miss is equipment management. I'd loved to have a backpack with alternative gear. Let it take a move to swap from medkit to grenade for instance.

And I can't stand that when that scientist or engineer starts philosophying unprompted the clicking on various parts of the base to go there don't work anymore. I want a "silence staff" button. Shut up!
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Starting playing this game - lotta fun. Always need more money though argh.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    One thing they did: They obviously did some kind of "cheat-prevention" with regards to loading saved games.

Because when I set out to capture an alien, the capture attack always missed - even with an 80% chance to hit and several reloads in a row. Probably precalculated at the beginning of a round or something like that.
    That bothers me. Why be anal about it, and more importantly, spend valuable development time/resources to aggravate a paying customer for no reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Save scummers!

I'm playing ironman.

My memorial is full of dead soldiers. Mostly rookies. If you ever find yourself running a military organization, do not let me anywhere near the new recruits. Seriously, I am the touch of death - if I so much as go near a recruit, they are likely to fall over dead on the spot.
    LOL - playing it for a bit. Same situation - I figure its because I keep my valuable folks safe while I use my rookies as canaries.

If you just wanna goof around with high-powered stuff you can name soldiers after some of the developers/producers to summon "heroes" of each class. You can have a varied squad or have several of each kind. If you like you can steal their equipment for your own soldiers (provided you've researched eg. plasma), but mostly it's fun to be able to try out the cooler gear and the psi-skills.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

On the last mission... half of my best guys are in the hospital. Derp.