Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...gging-in-first

I can confirm that creating/editing steam.cfg (in the same directory as the Steam executable) with the following lines works, as long as you've set Steam to remember your password (thanks DarkAnime):

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
    ForceOfflineMode=enable
    This is great. However, I'm finding that I'm lacking a steam.cfg in my Steam folder.

it happens sometimes if you haven't had to try going into offline mode before. I think. you can try telling steam to go into offline mode via the main steam menu, or you could create a txt file with those lines and save it as steam.cfg
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Attempted the file creation. It wasn't working for whatever reason. Closed out of Steam, removed the file to my desktop, tried to launch Steam again, got 8% into a forced Steam update which then promptly crashed out. It claimed that Steam had been put into offline mode. However, I cannot launch into offline mode nor go through the auto-patcher to even login normally now. I tried to relaunch again and now it is attempting to download a 100+MB update. After getting about 2 megs into that download, it crashed out again, saying I'm not online and it cannot continue the update until I'm online. This is the exact sort of mess I hoped to avoid by launching in offline mode since I'm still on dial-up as AT&T still hasn't rolled out U-verse to my neighborhood. I think I'll be going to the library tomorrow to use their wi-fi to try fixing this. *crosses fingers that helps*

Is it possible to tell without playing it if a Steam Game is "pay to win"?

EG on the Apple App Store when viewing any of the free games there's a button to see what the most common 'in-app' purchases are which helps reveal what kind of game it is. More and more Steam seems to be pushing the style of free-to-play PC game but hard to tell how much those are pure free-to-pay games or not.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Is it possible to tell without playing it if a Steam Game is "pay to win"?
    EG on the Apple App Store when viewing any of the free games there's a button to see what the most common 'in-app' purchases are which helps reveal what kind of game it is. More and more Steam seems to be pushing the style of free-to-play PC game but hard to tell how much those are pure free-to-pay games or not.
    Steam usually doesn't handle the in-game transactions itself, so I don't think it's even possible to do what you want in most cases. I don't know if there's a way to do it for the ones where Steam does handle the in-game transactions; I've never noticed one before.

I'm not sure how helpful it is anyways; the P2W only comes in when there's something that provides an advantage that you can't get without paying real money. Just seeing what people bought doesn't give you all the information you need.

yeah, the metacritic link on the product page would likely be a better place to look for a p2w answer
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Fair enough. Typically end up disappointed with all Freemium games in the end anyway ... either you need to pay-to-win or whoever is online 24/7/uses scriptbots wins.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I have yet to find a good F2P game on any phone. There've been a few good ones on PC, though. If you want to avoid P2W or the whoever's got the most free time wins scenarios, look at the arena-type games. MechWarrior Online, Planetside 2, League of Legends, and the Star Conflict one I recently pimped, for example. I personally like the first and last a lot. PS2 is a bit too twitchy for me, and LoL never appealed to me for whatever reason and has an absolutely caustic community.

Maybe a stupid question but for shop-bought disc games that then require activation on Steam (eg got a boxed set of Empire & Napoleon: Total War) once they're linked to your Steam Account is there any real reason to keep the discs and cases etc around?

Doing a spring clean and wondering if I can throw them in the bin.

To show off your collection to visitors? :P
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

once linked the discs are pointless. Haven't come to the point where I can personally toss my out.

Steam is now offering early access to games in development. Gnomoria and Kinetic Void look like they could both be interesting to me.

You buy your way into an alpha?

Seems like inspired by Kickstarter, interesting concept.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Anyone interested in a copy of Don't Starve? Got an extra copy I can give away.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Anyone interested in a copy of Don't Starve? Got an extra copy I can give away.
    Yes please, looks good.

Add me to your friends on Steam, that should be the fastest way to trade

My handle is "Rhywden"

Thanks a lot

No problem.

I heard Don't Starve was a pretty gun game, good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I have yet to find a good F2P game on any phone. There've been a few good ones on PC, though. If you want to avoid P2W or the whoever's got the most free time wins scenarios, look at the arena-type games. MechWarrior Online, Planetside 2, League of Legends, and the Star Conflict one I recently pimped, for example. I personally like the first and last a lot. PS2 is a bit too twitchy for me, and LoL never appealed to me for whatever reason and has an absolutely caustic community.
    LoL is great... but I see your point about the community. The AI vs. Bot that people start off on is pretty good. Normals are all right some of the time. ARAM is always fun. Its ranked where everyone goes bananas.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World - worth $20?

Haven't had the time yet to really play it

If anyone wants to try out Steam's new trading card system I've got a couple of beta invites.

The idea is that while playing games, you will unlock or discover trading cards that can be collected and traded, and at some point the cards can be combined for in game items, coupons, etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/OminousG message or invite or whatever

http://penny-arcade.com/static/rainslick-giveaway

free episode 3 if you can get the page to load and the captcha to work. took me several dozen attempts

humble bundle is selling alanwake +American nightmare + 2 dlc packs +a bunch of random other crap under the PWYW model, but a $1 gets you steam keys
    https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly?..._sale_alanwake

on a side note, xbox is also having an alan wake sale, think it comes out to $15 for all the content. Half expecting an alan wake announcement in the near future considering the current push

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...2#post34550242

possible hint of game sharing coming to Steam. That could be amazing.

Really surprised to see Final Fantasy VII listed for sale on Steam.
    Even more surprised to watch the video and realise it is literally Final Fantasy VII for sale, not a remade Final Fantasy VII HD version that has often been mooted by fans.

Why? At the time when it came out on the original Playstation it was one of the greatest games I'd played and it got me hooked on the Final Fantasy Series (like most western kids of the time had never heard of it pre-VII). But I can't imagine it will have aged well to be sold at such a price now.

I suppose the why is for the name though. It seems that its the top selling item on Steam. I'd be curious how many buy it for the memory, play for a few minutes then move on. I'd maybe pick it up if it gets slashed to pennies on a Sale but not spending £10 on it.

Not impressed with FFVII being on sale - I honestly thought it was weaker then FFVI. Now that was a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Haven't had the time yet to really play it
    Any thoughts now? Like the look of this and tempted to pick it up if its cut in the Summer Sale but reviews online seem at best mixed.

Heads up. The Steam sale starts tomorrow.

Also found a free pack on trading cards in my inventory, without an explanation, so I'm expecting the sale tomorrow to push games that support the new trading card concept.