Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam

Default Steam

Figured I'd attempt to break away from the game megathread, and Steam seems like a good way to start.

Researchers have released info on a few security holes between the way Steam and Safari interact when handling steam links. Don't think anyone here is handicapped in such a manner, but consider yourself warned.

http://revuln.com/files/ReVuln_Steam...Insecurity.pdf
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-16-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

If anyone has any doubts towards the quality of Canadian born games, there is a pretty sweet Canadian Indie bundle on Steam till tomorrow nightish.
    9 games for $15. The shank games alone make this worth it.

Capsized
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    HOARD
    Shank
    Shank 2
    Space Pirates and Zombies
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
    Warp
    Waveform

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/17558
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

SPAZ has caught my eye for a few times (and not just for its incredibly un-PC acronym), it looks fun. Would you recommend many in that group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

SPAZ was a pretty good game. Haven't heard of the rest of the ones on that last.

Off-topic, I think that acronym is one of the ones that isn't as offensive over here as it is over there.

Over hear I'd get hung, drawn and quartered if I called someone a spaz.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeah, it's virtually toothless over here. "A bit of a spaz" is even a common phrase when describing someone as adorkable.

Did they change Spaz's name in Jazz Jackrabbit 2 for the UK?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Over hear I'd get hung, drawn and quartered if I called someone a spaz.
    You would? I use it from time to time with absolutely no worries.

It's such an 80s word to describe someone who has done something utterly inept. As such, perhaps it's more common amongst the older generation, before the PC mongs came along and made it taboo amongst the next generation.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Did they change Spaz's name in Jazz Jackrabbit 2 for the UK?
    Not that I'm aware of? Steam UK has it listed as SPAZ.

May not have renamed that but ...

Not being sold through Steam, but it activates on Steam. Amazon is selling Darkness II for $5. http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-40884...myd_asin_block

Is there any way to set Steam (or any other programs) to be low-priority on a network without messing with a router? I'm trying to download programs in the background to my new Laptop so its about 100-200 GB's being downloaded and if I run the program its maxing out the bandwidth it seems and interfering with other machines in the network. Not good to have it running in the background without thinking about it at work and having someone else ask you if you know why the internet's going so slowly.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php

The "lite" version suffices because you only need the "limit" function. With this you can limit the network bandwidth of any program on your computer.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Boot up those Steam clients, the autumn sale is live.

You are a monster
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Won't there be a winter sale in a month's time?

Steam generally doesn't announce sales ahead of time. but yes. there are winter sales.

rumor is the winter sale will start tomorrow. After the humble bundle and THQ's bankruptcy I wouldn't surprised to see huge discounts on their games and DLC.

So, I tried logging in at work, get this message:

Hello!

We see you're logging in to Steam from a new browser or a new computer. Or maybe it's just been a while...

As an added account security measure, you’ll need to grant access to this browser by entering the special code we’ve just sent to your email address at
    Fair enough. I check my email, no such email. Not in junkmail either. I follow the ' What message?' and 'No luck still' buttons. Leaves a 'Contact Steam Support for help with account access' link... Which leads straight to an error.

Anyway, does this mean I can't login anywhere except my laptop, now?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

if you can log in from your laptop, do so and disable steam guard, or check and make sure your email is correct.

if you can log in from your laptop, do so and disable steam guard, or check and make sure your email is correct.
    Email is correct, just took about 20 minutes for the email to arrive (and I got five of them, then..). Kinda crappy that the link to their own support doesn't work, though
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

For some reason I'm routinely getting that on my own Laptop even though nothing's changed. Its irritating.

Any downside to disabling Steam Guard?

Steam Winter Sale has started and the THQ bundle is half price now at £19.99

Having bought a Warhammer 40k bundle last time (and already having Supreme Commander years ago, got Saints Row series on console) I don't see anything I want in that bundle though.

I think the Steam servers may be getting overloaded as its really unresponsive, keep getting errors trying to browse the Store.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    For some reason I'm routinely getting that on my own Laptop even though nothing's changed. Its irritating.

Any downside to disabling Steam Guard?
    Their help suggests that there may be an error with the steam files.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4020-ALZM-5519

Its mainly there so that "hackers" don't get ahold of your account and trade away anything in your steam inventory or steam wallet, or don't use your account to play games that could result in a VAC ban.

Weird I've been in Canada for about a week now, but only just now suddenly all the prices have switched from pounds to USD (why USD and not CAD I've no idea).

Seems some of the prices in USD are the same or just a few dollars more than in pounds, a lot cheaper. Not seeing anything I want to buy though.

Steam's sales haven't been that exciting so far. Amazon seems to be killing them this year, with some sweet deals still to come. According to this, LEGO Lord of the Rings will be $7 tomorrow

Tonight I think I'm going to cave and finally pick up the Warhammer franchise, and maybe the street fighter pack through Steam.

Is there some way of checking your progress towards Achievements in the Steam client? EG "kill 10 opponents" (Blood Bowl) or "Complete 30 missions" (Empire:Total War) is there a way to see how many kills you've achieved or missions completed? Hovering over the achievement in the Steam client or is it just if your game happens to show that figure in a stats display then you can see it but if not you'll know when you get it?

depends on the game, some games count towards the goal, others do not

Civilization was just one of the Flash Sales and I picked up the whole Civ IV collection for a fiver, primarily to get Civ IV:Colonization again despite already having it as I've not been able to find its CD for months.

But strangely the entire collection is listed twice. Civ IV, Beyond the Sword, Warlords and Colonization all have two entries each.

Any idea why that is? I bought it on my iPad but I can't imagine I've bought it twice. If I have is there anything I can do?

EDIT: Just noticed that on one of each of those it says "not available on your platform" so I'm guessing there's a PC-copy and a Mac-copy of each listed perhaps? Or something else. Any way to hide the incorrect copies from my library? I normally have All Games on Details mode listed and I can't see any way to hide within that (and don't want to just see installed).

Mac copies, devs were to lazy to configure it right. Its the only dually game in my collection that lists twice. No true way to hide it, but I believe you could make a folder for them and toss them in there.