Thread: The Foundation Trilogy in 3D

Default The Foundation Trilogy in 3D

http://ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=9327

ROLAND EMMERICH CATCHES THE 'AVATAR' BUG, PLANS 'FOUNDATION' TRILOGY IN 3D

2012 director Roland Emmerich discusses his plans to use 3D and mo-cap technology for his film adaptation of Isaac Asimov's FOUNDATION series

By JASON SWEARINGEN, News Editor
    Published 2/15/2010

THE SKINNY: It's quickly becoming a necessity these days for all big budget, SFX-heavy films to be in 3D. Often times, the addition seems extraneous, but when adapting a universe as expansive as the one presented in Isaac Asimov's FOUNDATION series, it would be criminal not to approach it with the most cutting-edge technology available.

After seeing James Cameron's AVATAR, director Roland Emmerich realized just this, and has decided to push the envelope with his planned three-picture adaptation of Asimov's FOUNDATION using similar 3D and motion capture technology.

"The AVATAR technology applies to FOUNDATION," Emmerich told MTV. "It has to be done all CG because I would not know how to shoot this thing in real."

When asked if he also plans to utilize technology similar to AVATAR's motion capture process, the director said "Yes."

"I was on the set of AVATAR and I saw how it worked and I really thought, 'That's the ultimate way of making movies,'" Emmerich added.

FOUNDATION takes place thousands of years in the future and deals with mankind's struggle to preserve knowledge amidst the collapse of a 12,000-year-old Galactic Empire.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

It's gonna suck.

How are they going to turn this into a movie anyways? What parts are going to be in it? The Mule, Second Foundation, and Gaia storylines? It doesn't seem like it would work too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's gonna suck.

How are they going to turn this into a movie anyways? What parts are going to be in it? It doesn't seem like it would work too well.
    I'm with this. Foundation doesn't exactly have a movie storyline to it, unless incredibly dumbed down and edited...at which point its going to suck...

...that and they've already violated I, Robot pretty hard. Poor, poor I, Robot......
    . . .

It's gonna suck.

How are they going to turn this into a movie anyways? What parts are going to be in it? The Mule, Second Foundation, and Gaia storylines? It doesn't seem like it would work too well.
    The use of the words foundation trilogy says Foundation, Foundation & Empire and Second Foundation. I.e. not the Gaia bullshit.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

With this director, it is going to suck.
    Why does Hollywood insist in ruining good stuff?
    The good news is that a future remake could trash Emmerich version.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The use of the words foundation trilogy says Foundation, Foundation & Empire and Second Foundation. I.e. not the Gaia bullshit.
    They said it as " 'Foundation' Trilogy", with quotes around "Foundation", which I assumed meant a trilogy of movies based on the Foundation series, rather than one movie based on the first Foundation trilogy.

I don't think you can really end on the Second Foundation, and the first Foundation novel is just a whole bunch of short stories with nothing you can really base a movie on. It's going to need significant rewriting if that's where they're going.

Does the Foundation trilogy consist of over the top special effects and corny dialogue?
    Cause that's all Roland Emmerich knows how to make.

Condolences to fans of the books.

I just wonder why exactly this needs to be CGI, which is what the article implies. The Foundation series is a political thriller in SPPAAAACE with very occasional battles. There are no aliens. The only thing you really need CGI for is Trantor, and then only for establishing shots and then only at the start of the movie.

This suggests that the films, if they appear, will not follow the source material closely.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

It could be a stylistic thing, I suppose. Do the whole thing in CGI so the parts that couldn't be shot in reality don't appear as jarringly different. But you're right - it's been a while since I've read the stories, but I can't remember anything beyond maybe some of the backdrops that couldn't feasibly be done traditionally. This does seem to imply the "I, Robot" school of Asimov adaptations, which brings us back to:

It's gonna suck.

Do the whole thing in CGI so the parts that couldn't be shot in reality don't appear as jarringly different.
    CGI is getting so good these days it barely is jarring. BSG, for example.

That said, there is a third option: it is a perfectly good piece of action-science fiction which bares little resemblance to the source material. Which makes you wonder: why Foundation? It's not as if the name is going to bring in the big bucks.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    CGI is getting so good these days it barely is jarring. BSG, for example.
    It still gets bad when you have to use a CGI human. They've never been able to get those right.

It's gonna suck.

Hope they don't hire the writer that made i Robot.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Oh my god, Emmerich shouldn't be allowed in the same room with those books. I simply can't imagine anything good will come of this.
    Congratulations America

_
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

The same Muppet who did The Day After Tomorrow?

I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

UPDATE: this never happened.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come