Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Government services should be available outside of regular business hours

I don't

The law is explicitly clear here that you DON'T have to, including bank (public) holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I don't
    Do we have anything else to go on besides your personal experience? Anything to reinforce your claim so far that a majority don't compensate for non-regular shifts, and that its becoming less common?

The same was asked of Loki and he kind of left us hanging.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

None of the part timers here are, and thats generally all you would hire to fill in the gaps presented by a non-regular second shift. The only ones salaried around here are the ones holding degrees and supervisory positions. Everyone else is hourly.

now who do you expect to find a customer service position, a salaried or hourly worker? Feel free to consult the link above for a hint.
    What do you mean by "customer service"? The people I've seen regarding various benefits have been case workers, and I'm pretty sure they weren't paid by the hour.
    Hope is the denial of reality

If you have a calculator you should be able to calculate their hourly wage
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Do we have anything else to go on besides your personal experience? Anything to reinforce your claim so far that a majority don't compensate for non-regular shifts, and that its becoming less common?

The same was asked of Loki and he kind of left us hanging.
    The American Time Use Survey for starters shows its becoming increasingly normal to work weekends sometimes.

Whereas this shows 76% of hourly paid and 94% of salaried employees don't get a shift incremental for working some weekends. It remains majorities even for all weekends.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Seriously - its a service industry. Be open Saturdays. Heck, be open on Sundays. Be open after 6:00 PM. The government doesn't exist to give you a cushy job working 8:00 to 5:00 when everyone else is also working. I'm not asking for the lazy government workers to work more than 40 hours a week but have some flexible shifts.
    Well, I am a government worker, and lazy to boot because I won t work more than 20 hours a week. But I have scheduled hearings at 8pm, I do check my emails on vacation and I even have made calls to customers from my balcony in Istanbul. Just so that they didn t have to wait for my return to Holland to get some info on their cases.

Anybody who sends an objection to our department will have a caseworker assigned to his case within 24 hours and he will be called within five days to talk things through. Most of our business, as long as there is no medical examination necessary, takes place through the phone.
    Congratulations America

So you agree with Lewk and I that Mon-Fri 9-5 (or 8-5) is a ludicrous dogma to stick religiously to then?

Whereas this shows 76% of hourly paid and 94% of salaried employees don't get a shift incremental for working some weekends.
    You should read earlier on in the thread where we already talked to Loki for presenting the same study in the same slant. Public facing government agencies are by and large customer service and support. Thats 59% of companies in the top table.

As for the study you didn't link to, it says nothing as to not being compensating for the non-regular hours. Weekdays have more productive hours (7.6 vs 5.7 out of 8), 82% work an average weekday, and 35% work an average weekend day (this includes staff who were not normally schedule to work).
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

You should read earlier on in the thread where we already talked to Loki for presenting the same study in the same slant. Public facing government agencies are by and large customer service and support. Thats 59% of companies in the top table.
    False. That first chart links to getting shift incrementals for ANY reason (including second/third shifts which is nearly 100% beneath and holidays which is still much more common). Where the figures are split into weekend and other then majorities for all charts don't get weekend compensation. Vast majorities for most. That figure is nearly identical to the 60% who get paid extra to work holidays.

I would take vast majorities not getting shift incrementals for working weekends as evidence a majority do not get it.
    As for the study you didn't link to, it says nothing as to not being compensating for the non-regular hours. Weekdays have more productive hours (7.6 vs 5.7 out of 8), 82% work an average weekday, and 35% work an average weekend day (this includes staff who were not normally schedule to work).
    No the other clearly shows that. The ATUS shows that working some weekends is increasingly normal. The proportion who do is steadily increasing year after yet, the percentage has increased by roughly 10% from its base 8 years before. And from memory now includes majority of part time men.

The ATUS shows that working some weekends is increasingly normal. The proportion who do is steadily increasing year after yet, the percentage has increased by roughly 10% from its base 8 years before. And from memory now includes majority of part time men.
    In 2003 33% worked weekends, compared to 35% in the most recent study.

2004: 32%
    2005: 32%
    2006: 35%
    2007: 36%
    2008: 34%
    2009: 35%
    2010: 35%
    2011: 35%

There is no steady increase, infact it peaked in 2007.

By the way, this all wouldn' t be such a big problem if employers in the private sector wouldn' t be so uptight about allowing people in their employment to take off some time during the work day to take care of their business then compensate that by working later the same day or more on another day. Since I have a common sense employer I can do just that; I go to work at a time that suits me, if I need to do something like renewing my passport, I do that during office hours, come back and stay longer. Why is it so hard for people with a private sector job to do something like that? You could say that it doesn' t work like that if you work in a restaurant or in a shop. Now, I can' t talk for shops, but I have worked in restaurants, and I do know for a fact that there are times during the day that your only pre-occupation is looking at the clock to move towards the end of your shift.
    Congratulations America

I don't know what private sector inflexibility you're talking about but I've always been flexible with people. Got any evidence to demonstrate this is about private inflexibility?

OG an increase from 32-35 is a 10% increase exactly like I said. Nice dodge on ignoring the fact that your own figures clearly demonstrate in every single chart that splits down into weekend, holidays, second shift etc that a vast majority of weekend employees get no increase.

OG an increase from 32-35 is a 10% increase exactly like I said.
    The base was 33% And its varies between 32-36% which is not a steady increase as you claim. It hasn't increased at all from 2009, which was down from 2007.

playing with numbers is fun. You're basically narrowing into the recession and ignoring any improvements workers have slowly clawed back since.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-27-2012 at 01:21 PM.

If you note since 2007 there's been a bigger fall in the proportion working weekdays 83.4->81.8 than there has been those working weekends 36.0->35.1 ... I wonder what's happened since 2007? It's not like there's been a recession has there? On the other hand looking back at a like-like comparison to less than a decade ago there are many more now working weekends despite the fact there are marginally less working weekdays.

The long term trend is still clear. But feel free to ignore pesky things like facts.