Thread: ATTN: New Yorkers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ATTN: New Yorkers

You're about to get owned
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I want the story behind the dumbass who thought it was a good idea to take the HMS Bounty into this thing.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

My move to Illinois now seems prescient.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    My move to Illinois
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I thought this was going to be some sort of soppy Good Luck or something like that lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

You obviously didn't see who started the thread
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Or realised what community I'd logged into
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The opening to I Am Legend, or hurricane Sandy?

More like, Hurricane Sandy Vagina, amirite?

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Orlando is nice and cool! (For Orlando).
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.

I am sure Japan will borrow you some helpers so that you can fix that in a few days rather than months.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    I am sure Japan will borrow you some helpers so that you can fix that in a few days rather than months.
    US doesn't accept help quickly, IIRC they stalled Dutch help after Katrina and the Gulf spill for quite some time.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Good news: Internet is still largely gawker free.

Bad news: One less coaster in the wild

EDIT:
    bonus Gangnam
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-30-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Bad news: One less coaster in the wild
    Bad news: New Jersey still exists.

That's one of my local news stations! I missed that when it happened.

http://imgur.com/a/4PPqA

42 pictures from the aftermath. Wonder how many of those taxis are going to end up going south to used car lots

100 homes lost in a neighborhood from fire...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

This is simply to perfect

Darren Aronofsky's Noah Delayed Due to Flooding

Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan, The Wrestler) has been filming his "Noah" film, based on the Biblical tale of Noah's Ark, at Oyster Bay, NY. To make it as realistic as possible, the director built a massive ark, which measures 450 feet long, 75 feet tall and 45 feet wide. Unfortunately, it was never meant to be sailed.

With production wrapping up within the next few weeks, the ark was forced to deal with flooding as Hurricane Sandy passed through Oyster Bay. Emma Watson, one of the actresses on the film, pointed out the irony of flooding being the cause of problems for the production.

It's not clear how much damage was done to the set, but there's a good chance that some repairs will have to be made. During the delay, Aronofsky wrote that he took the time to catch up on some movies, seeing "Cloud Atlas" and "The Master."

Brooklyn Battery Tunnel flooded all the way to the ceiling.

and a flooded subway station

Best footage I've seen so far of the early speed and volume of water

That's pretty good.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Good thing they didn't require rescue during the incedent.

Surely some tech geeks mounted waterproof cameras on flotation devices, to follow the water in real time. That'd be cool to see. I've been wondering where the coverage is about homeless folks, and if/how they managed to get them to shelters before the flooding

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    You're about to get owned
    Well played, sir.

I called it, though.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I just got power back now...
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I just got power back now...
    My sister's family-in-law on Long Island was told to expect power outages until the end of this week. Damn, that's a long time.

Glad you're back on grid, Illusions! Was this the longest week of your life, and how did you cope?